Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
Corrective
Enthusiast
Corrective began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
Ghosting and Burn in

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but could someone explain the definition of "Ghosting" and "Burn in" ?

I get the general idea of what people mean but I think i'm missing something in translation when i'm reading the other threads.

Thanks
Corrective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
See the 2nd & 3rd pics here for some examples from the 500 (previous generation display) reader.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
As a nutshell explanation of ghosting (the more informative term, in my opinion):

Ghosting is a residual "shadow" of the previous screen contents on the present screen.

This was more of a problem in the older displays such as were on the PRS500, the newer "Vizplex" displays don't have nearly as much problem with it. The older one usually only had problems with it when the display had been idle for a period of time, and a few "page turns" would make it go away.

As a real world reference, the old display's ghosting is fairly comparable to the "show through" of text on the other side of a printed page.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Corrective
Enthusiast
Corrective began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
Thanks for pics and explanation guys!
Corrective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:41 AM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I 'd like to point out that "burn in" is technically not the same as ghosting. Burn-in is where display a static object on a screen for a prolonged period of time causes a permanent ghost-like image on the screen. True burn-in really only occurs with CRTs and Plasma displays, though it's often misattributed to temporary ghosting seen on other displays like eInk and LCD.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Early LCD screens (TFT?) would also suffer from burn-in issues. I remember seeing it on some Compaq laptops in the late 90s.

Modern LCDs don't seem to suffer from it at all, but I'm not sure what changed.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote