Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
FW1.5, blanc screen, reboot from battery fails

Hi all, has anybody experienced the following with the new 1.5 FW ?

Yesterday I was reading a PDF when suddenly, while reading , the screen went completely blanc. Although the capacative buttons still seemed to work (leds flashing ...) they had no effect at all. So I did a reset, but this got stuck perpetually with the bullet circling around the iRex icon. A second reset : same result.

I then hooked the device up to the power mains and that reset worked. Phew. So probably it was a battery related issue but then the battery was topped up and I had only read for an hour or so (with not too many page turns). Maybe the (re)callibration that is supposed to happen at some point after loading FW 1.5 had something to do with it?
I was in full screen mode but I don't see how that could ever explain why a reset would fail.

cheers,
Benny

Last edited by kleykenb; 02-09-2009 at 05:35 AM.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
kleykenb
Groupie

I've got some new insights in the problem : it returned today !
Screen froze while trying to turn a page, multiple resets failed whether on or off the power mains.
Then eventually I took the SD card out of the device and tried another reset and to my own suprise this did work. So it may not be the battery that is having issues but the SD card. I've opened a ticket with iRex.
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
kleykenb
Groupie

I keep replying to my own posts but I think it may just help others with the same issue.
After things started pointing out that the SD card could be part of the issue I booted without the SD card. Inserted the (original) SD card AFTER the device was booted but the card was not detected.
So I tried to format it but got an error. Tried to format 2 other SD cards : all failed with error "a problem occured while formatting the SD card.".
So it looks like the SD card is not the issue but the SD card reader/writer itself ... I have no other option than to send it back for a replacement/repair.

Last edited by kleykenb; 02-09-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Did you just try the formatting on the device? Or did you also try to reformat the card(s) on your PC/MAC without errors, copy a fresh version of your content over (minus potentially corrupted metadata.db files) and try that in the reader?

It would be a lot of trouble to go through if the the trouble was tied to corrupted cards and not the reader in the DR1000...
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
kleykenb
Groupie

I tried formatting on the device itself and it failed with 3 SD cards.
Formatting an SD card should work, no matter what is on the SD card and the odds of all 3 SD cards being broken are pretty slim but I'll try to format one anyway when I get home from work.

Last edited by kleykenb; 02-10-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
I tried formatting on the device itself and it failed with 3 SD cards.
Formatting an SD card should work, no matter what is on the SD card and the odds of all 3 SD cards being broken are pretty slim but I'll try to format one anyway when I get home from work.
These are regular SD cards, and not SDHC cards, right? The DR1000 doesn't officially support SDHC cards. They usually work OK, but one of the known issues is that it can't format them.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
kleykenb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
These are regular SD cards, and not SDHC cards, right? The DR1000 doesn't officially support SDHC cards. They usually work OK, but one of the known issues is that it can't format them.
Thanks for the pointer Shaggy but these cards were just regular ones , an 'old' 256MB one and a 1GB one, no SDHC.
I got an email from iRex yesterday telling me they are going to send me a box in which I can send the device back. From what I told them they think they will have to replace the motherboard, which indicates that there really aren't that many seperate parts in the DR (for those thinking of cracking it open).

Tags
screen blanc dr1000s