Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
ironflute
ironflute began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch GlowLight
Sync Directly To MicroSD In Reader Instead Of It In SimpleTouch

I've got a Nook SimpleTouch with a 64gb MicroSD card. It works fine for syncing until I root the Nook, at which point connecting it to Windows only gives me drive letters with no storage in them.
I'd like to circumvent this by just syncing to the MicroSD card with it in a multicard reader. It seems simpler and more reliable than using the Nook, which technically doesn't support that capacity card.
So here's the question:
How do I make Calibre see my F: drive (the 64gb MicroSD card in the card reader) as a mounted Nook SimpleTouch? I've already done nearly a full sync to it, so the calibre files and most of my substantial ebook collection is already on it.
ironflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why do you need to calibre to see it as a mounted Touch? Surely as long as ypu just do a Connect to Folder (click on the Connect/Share icon and select connect to Folder) it shoujld be sufficient.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
ironflute

By making Calibre see the memory card as the storage in a Nook, I hoped to avoid any loss of tagging information or other unforseen syncing/transfer issues. Caution is prudent when you're dealing with nearly 4700 ebooks. I don't like the thought of waiting for them all to sync only to find out that the tagging info doesn't work or storage format isn't valid for the Nook.
I've done as you suggested and Calibre is getting the info from the card... slowly..
At this rate it'll take an hour just tell me whats on the card and what isn't. Oy vey
Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Might this be because it is reading metadata from the books? Try Preferences | Device Interface Plugins | Folder Device Interface and then the customize button and disable Read Metadata from files on device.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
ironflute

Well, before I cancel what it's already about a third of the way through doing, is there a reason why I *wouldn't* want it to read all the meta data (other than speed obviously)?
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I've got no idea. I merely try to give some ideas as to why it might be slow.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironflute View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why do you need to calibre to see it as a mounted Touch? Surely as long as ypu just do a Connect to Folder (click on the Connect/Share icon and select connect to Folder) it shoujld be sufficient.
By making Calibre see the memory card as the storage in a Nook, I hoped to avoid any loss of tagging information or other unforseen syncing/transfer issues. Caution is prudent when you're dealing with nearly 4700 ebooks.
Use the Connect to folder feature. It will treat the folder you connect to as if it were a device, so essentially there is no difference between connecting to the SD as a Simple touch or connecting to the SD via the Connect to folder feature.

If you have a unique save template for the Simple touch you will have to make sure the Save template for the Send to device area of preferences is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironflute View Post
I've done as you suggested and Calibre is getting the info from the card... slowly.. At this rate it'll take an hour just tell me whats on the card and what isn't. Oy vey
It will only be slow the first time.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-05-2013 at 12:45 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
ironflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've got no idea. I merely try to give some ideas as to why it might be slow.
Ok I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something glaringly obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Use the Connect to folder feature. It will treat the folder you connect to as if it were a device, so essentially there is no difference between connecting to the SD as a Simple touch or connecting to the SD via the Connect to folder feature.

If you have a unique save template for the Simple touch you will have to make sure the Save template for the Send to device area of preferences is the same.

It will only be slow the first time.
That's exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.