Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
New Year traditions?

I don't have particular traditions around new years anymore, but I wonder if you do?
I'm thinking along the lines of "Every New Year, me and my family goes snowshoeing", Or, "We take our gaff riggers for a sail, complete with the top of our old christmas tree up the mast".

Do you have traditions, or do you wish something you have done could become a tradition for you and yours?
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I try to ride or ski on New Years Day. my family also eats a traditional New Mexican dish of posole, consisting of pork, nixtamal, green chilies, onions and spices. having something go *boom* around midnight with some kind of gun powder; fireworks, blanks, etc. is also a tradition
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Around our house it's traditional to have our noon-day meal served with cabbage and Black-eyed peas. Cabbage for money in the New Year and the Black-eyed Peas for luck.

Don't know where that originates from, just that my family has always done it.
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Not really a tradition, but this year we'll celebrating our Old Year in front of the TV. We're going to hold a Star Wars Marathon. And at Midnight, we'll be going to the community house where the fireworks will be lighted.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:45 AM   #5
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
We're going to hold a Star Wars Marathon. And at Midnight, we'll be going to the community house where the fireworks will be lighted.
Nice !! I've been trying to convince everyone that a Lord of the Rings marathon would be quite nice on New Year's Eve, but they all think I'm crazy

We go to Linkeroever (a part of Antwerp right next to the Scheldt) every year to watch the fireworks. They light the fireworks on boats in the middle of the river, it's really cool to see.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Since joining this forum, my new year tradition is to do some research in Wikepedia to find out which authors died 70 years ago.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My tradition is to stay inside and avoid the roads. That way, I'm still alive the next day.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My tradition is to stay inside and avoid the roads. That way, I'm still alive the next day.
We do the same.

My tradition is to make the wildest resolutions, and then break them as soon as is humanly possible.

I have actually been very good at that.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
We do the same.

My tradition is to make the wildest resolutions, and then break them as soon as is humanly possible.

I have actually been very good at that.

Cheers
New Years is just another day and has no significance for me. I never bother with resolutions; but hey, since you're breaking them, break one for me.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
New Years is just another day and has no significance for me. I never bother with resolutions; but hey, since you're breaking them, break one for me.

Shall do - which one?

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

Shall do - which one?

Cheers
hmmm ...we'll make it book related.

I promise not to make disparaging remarks against the Nook Classic.

Now promptly break it for me on New Years.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:42 AM   #12
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I don't know if this is exactly a tradition, but as a bartender, my tradition is to go to work, drink too much, recover on Jan 1st. I remember the first year that I left the house on Jan 1st and realised that everything was open. I just assumed everything was closed. OK, I didn't really "leave" the house, it was more like, I woke up, drove home, stopped by the supermarket on the way for steak.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
Nice !! I've been trying to convince everyone that a Lord of the Rings marathon would be quite nice on New Year's Eve, but they all think I'm crazy
We did that... We bought the last box when it came out, didn't open it but put it next to the other two boxes. Turned out, we had one of the flawed one, with 2x disc 1... And we were missing the last disc. We went as fast as we could to the video rental store, to find out it had just closed 5 minutes earlier. Let's just say, we went to bed at 10, completely depressed and slept all through the night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
We go to Linkeroever (a part of Antwerp right next to the Scheldt) every year to watch the fireworks. They light the fireworks on boats in the middle of the river, it's really cool to see.
I hope it'll be a clear night this time, we can see the fireworks of all surrounding villages then too

Quote:
Well, that too... Considering the community house is about 5 houses away, we do it by foot
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Ever since my partner and I started dating 7 years ago, we've gone to the movies on New Years Eve to see films that are up for awards for that year. We got a head start last week and saw Black Swan. This New Year's Eve we plan to see The King's Speech and perhaps the newest Harry Potter just for kicks. But we'll be in a theater suspending disbelief for a few hours on New Years.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
As I am a musician my "New Year Tradition" usually involves standing on stage playing to a crowd of people who are getting more and more drunk! After they all go home we get to load out about 2 tonnes of musical equipment then watch the sun rise over discarded beer cans (and a few discarded drunks). Luckily we charge a lot of money for playing NYE gigs.
Oddly enough it is quite enjoyable for us as we are the only ones who will wake up without a hangover and loaded with cash!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote