Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If the system is really looking for:
Code:
HHCHD018I Loadable module directory is /usr/lib/hercules
The executable might have to be rebuilt with 'sysroot' set to '/mnt/us/extensons/herc' (or wherever the 'physical' system root is going to be at).

Just because I don't think Amazon included the ibm s390 modules in /usr/lib
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I run the spectrum simulator atm on my home machine.
will look at that - I did already try it once before. Will revisit.

I'm secretly (okay no longer secretly) wheedling away on getting Windows 95 to boot also (since last night).

project rumbling along.
spectrum needs sound and colour.. zx81 should be simpler..
windows 95? can't imagine.. here again, maybe win 3.1 or even DOS 6.22 should be easier..?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah....

The config line:
HTTPROOT /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/share/hercules # HTTP root directory

refuses to be serviced... for whatever reason?

So... Ill package it. as-is. with a link to
http://www.ibiblio.org/jmaynard/turnkey-mvs-3.zip

as you kindly suggest.
And then move onto Win95

But yeah. Works great. (I think)

When I package it up: Maybe add the OPTION to loopmount the "Invalid HTTPROOT:" to something sensible.? Or perhaps I'll just hardcode that.

the impact on the "Root" will be the creation of one innocuous folder.
Hardly devastating.

: )
OR
Maybe just disable the http server in the config file?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, since we both own multiple sets of Sinclair ZX81 devices, who needs an emulator?
ok.. owning, maintaining and running those old devices has it's own challenges and rewards.. (i too have a spectrum clone and a 386.. but gathering dust..) but an emulator is also challenging.. and elegant..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If the system is really looking for:
Code:
HHCHD018I Loadable module directory is /usr/lib/hercules
The executable might have to be rebuilt with 'sysroot' set to '/mnt/us/extensons/herc' (or wherever the 'physical' system root is going to be at).

Just because I don't think Amazon included the ibm s390 modules in /usr/lib
meh. It just fails to honour the config for some inscrutable reason.

Foolish really. Dug around in the code and check the known dev issues.
Nothing leaped out.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
spectrum needs sound and colour.. zx81 should be simpler..
windows 95? can't imagine.. here again, maybe win 3.1 or even DOS 6.22 should be easier..?
dosbox is done and posted.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went with your suggestion.

Creating an HTTP "enabled" and "bereft" version pair.

One makes tiny adjustment to root. Other doesn't. That will have to do.

KTERM will be required.

Have it running in Kterm now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_538.png
Views:	225
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	109664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_540.png
Views:	239
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	109665  

Last edited by twobob; 08-20-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: add nohttp screenie too
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

That mvs cdrom has a cookbook in it (on it), also mirrored on the web at:
http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/turnkey/cookbook/index.html

EDIT:
A very interesting read.
A note to the curious, if you are not already an experienced MVS sysop, you aren't going to boot MVS on a S-390 without reading the directions. ! ! ! ! !

Installers for Linux and Windows, none for the Amazon Kindle.

But should be able to extract all of the IBM OS and files from the iso and "do it by hand".

Duh, your right about the earlier question, I don't know if mvs/390 will run on fat-32 - -
somehow I sort of doubt it.

It also has a tn3270 emulator (you need to have a tcp/ip connection to the emulator on your kindle).

Maybe we should leave installing an IBM OS on the Kindle to someone else.
Your build of the emulator looks like it is working well enough for other people to experiment with.

Last edited by knc1; 08-20-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
These are no error messages, just an info that something needs to be done eventually on device 00C. (That is our reader for jobstreams that we want to send to MVS. No need to worry now).
Shame on you Amazon, why doesn't the Kindles include a punched card reader for JCL job stream decks?

Not a problem, we can fake it:
See the "HowTo submit a jobstream" in: http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/turnkey/cookbook/index.html

Last edited by knc1; 08-20-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thread moved in readiness.

And yes I am working on this right now
SUPER! That's en_IBM for well done.

Less than a day's work, great job.

Let's just let someone else re-package the MVS/390 system iso for use on the Kindles.

Maybe Geekmaster? He is the one that could use IBM/360 Cobol on his kindle.
OR
any other interested party, just chime in here and lend a hand.

Note: There is now a job opening for an experienced MVS sysop on the KUAL team.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
twobob

finished
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...73&postcount=2
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Last edited by knc1; 08-20-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Why? Because you can!

You guys are amazing

BTW I used to work on IBM/1401 and IBM/1130... The 360's and after are an ambitious project.
We can fake that one, also running under this simulator:
http://perso.wanadoo.es/rptv2005/ibm...n/sim1401.html

Let us know if you get your own 1401 running.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
So I guess I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Doom port?

After reading 14 pages, I was really disappointed to see it just end. I wanted to see what kind of sound you wizards could get out of an eInk screen.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
So I guess I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Doom port?

After reading 14 pages, I was really disappointed to see it just end. I wanted to see what kind of sound you wizards could get out of an eInk screen.
Someday, we will deal with the sound problems on the various Kindles.

Can you find a copy of Doom for the IBM S-390 or earlier?

Tags
launcher add-ons