Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Kudalufi
Kudalufi began at the beginning.

Device: Android
OPDS Client?

Does anyone know of a way to use Calibre to download content from remote OPDS calatalogs? I want Calibre to act as the central repository for all my books, but since it's much easier to grab books with my Android device using fbreader than it is on my PC, I end up wasting time back-copying books to my PC.
Kudalufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudalufi View Post
Does anyone know of a way to use Calibre to download content from remote OPDS calatalogs? I want Calibre to act as the central repository for all my books, but since it's much easier to grab books with my Android device using fbreader than it is on my PC, I end up wasting time back-copying books to my PC.
Currently there isn't any way to add a specific catalog, but there are many that include free or public domain books configured under the Get Books icon.

Including:

Smashwords
Feedbooks
Mantbooks
Mobileread
Project Gutenberg
Archive.org

You could ask for others to be added in this thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Kudalufi

I'm thinking that a general purpose OPDS client in Calibre makes a lot of sense. We wouldn't have to petition for the inclusion of catalogs for sites that support OPDS. I may have a look at the API and see about making a plugin for this.

I'm wondering if there's a demand for this besides me. Anyone?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudalufi View Post
I'm wondering if there's a demand for this besides me. Anyone?
Would certainly appreciate having this feature.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
micster
Enthusiast
micster began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please make this happen! The single most important feature I am missing from Calibre is a way to import books from an OPDS of my choosing.... I'll pay to have this feature
micster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
anoved
Enthusiast
anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPhone
I would like this feature as well, Kudalufi.

Calibre's content server produces an OPDS catalog, so it would seem useful for Calibre to be able to read (and retrieve books from) such catalogs as well.

How would you implement it? As a read-only device driver, or something else?
anoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
djeaton
djeaton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Shameless bump! All I want for Christmas is for Calibre to be able to DOWNLOAD from ODPS catalogs of my choosing/creation! But I wouldn't be disappointed if Christmas came early.
djeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Kudalufi

I am working on this, but it's slow going as I'm in the navy and don't have a lot of spare time. I knew nothing about OPDS coming into this, so I've had to research it. I've got a mostly working simple client now. I just need to stuff this code into a plugin and pretty it up. I doubt before Christmas, as my Christmas leave this year starts pretty late (21st).
Old 12-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
djeaton
djeaton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Kidalufi, you're my Santa! Stay safe out there, and thank you for your service to our Country.
djeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
micster
Enthusiast
micster began at the beginning.

Device: none
I guess I will have to keep practicing my Python. I started working on it too, but as far as I got was a generic plugin that no longer even installs

I'll keep trying though! With our powers combined...
micster is offline   Reply With Quote