Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
dlsh1962
dlsh1962 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
what a mess

I just opened Calibre and every time it asks if you want to update to the latest, well I have a new computer and accordingly thought I would update to the latest version and now all my books have been lost and the new Calibre version is completely empty. Can anyone instruct me if possible how to get my library back it is pretty large and I dont know what to do! Please help

Last edited by dlsh1962; 07-30-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling
dlsh1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Updating Calibre never affects an existing library. I suspect it has just lost track (although i cannot think why) of where your current library is located. All you need to do is click on the Library icon in the main tool bar and use the switch option to tell it where your existing library is located.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Sorry to hear this, but I'm sure its something simple.

You might find quicker help in the "Calibre" forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

And welcome to MobileRead!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsh1962 View Post
I just opened Calibre and every time it asks if you want to update to the latest, well I have a new computer and accordingly thought I would update to the latest version and now all my books have been lost and the new Calibre version is completely empty. Can anyone instruct me if possible how to get my library back it is pretty large and I dont know what to do! Please help
1. On a Windows PC (I don't know about Macs), the Calibre Library is usually located here: C:\Users\Owner\Calibre Library
Or, if you added your name as a user: C:\Users\NameYouAdded\Calibre Library
See if you can find the library using Windows Explorer.
NOTE: As a precaution, make a backup copy of the entire Calibre Library folder before proceeding with Step 2.
2. Open Calibre and locate the Library icon (the stack of books on the top menu ). Click the arrow that's to the right of the Library icon and select "Switch/Create Library". Then type in the full path you found in Step 1 as the "New Location" and select "Use existing library at new location".

This should restore your existing library.

Last edited by MartyTX; 07-30-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added a NOTE
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
So, you got a new computer.

What steps did you use to move the library from the old computer? Did you copy the Library to a thumb drive and put it in a non-standard(for Calibre) place on your new computer? You should be able to, as previous posters mentioned, point Calibre at the location you put the library at.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert