Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #271
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
Well, apart from the larger fonts when on a "mobile" site, does it allow you to save many pages on the speed dial with ease, and retrieve them quickly?

Incidentally, Opera has something like that, but I'm damned if I can figure out how to set them and keep them set. What I've set seems to come and go.

kdoc

Dolphin Mini makes it easy to add pages to Speed Dial. They will stay once you set them. What's even cooler is that Dolphin Mini supports gesture commands. Let's say you have a favorite webpage like Amazon. You can set a gesture (e.g. draw an A) and you can use that gesture from any webpage and it will immediately take you to Amazon. This is one of the nicest features of Dolphin.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-18-2011 at 02:18 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #272
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
Well, apart from the larger fonts when on a "mobile" site, does it allow you to save many pages on the speed dial with ease, and retrieve them quickly?

kdoc
Yes, it does. And once I've added them to speed dial, I haven't had any problem with them disappearing. Give it a try! It may be what you are looking for.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #273
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Dolphin Mini makes it easy to add pages to Speed Dial. They will stay once you set them. What's even cooler is that Dolphin Mini supports gesture commands. Let's say you have a favorite webpage like Amazon. You can set a gesture (e.g. draw an A) and you can use that gesture from any webpage and it will immediately take you to Amazon. This is one of the nicest features of Dolphin.
I had no idea how to use that gesture feature! I've hit it accidentally a couple of times, though. I'm going to play with it now -- thanks!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #274
Sylvia2
Sylvia2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
Thanks - it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratkity View Post
1. Open Calibre
2. Select All Books (ctl-a)
3. Select remove books and hit the down arrow - select remove all files except of a specific format
4. Select all books again
5. Select covert books in bulk - change the Mobi OUTPUT to remove the pdoc tag
6a. Select ok
6. Now sync your books to your KF

Hope this helps,
Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity - thanks for the directions; I can make this work.

Now I have another question

I was renaming files for a series and had the latest - number 11 - on my Kindle Fire that I bought from Amazon. I wanted to get it renamed with the 11 in the title so I copied the file from my kindle and pasted it into the folder I use for Calibre. Calibre renamed the file and it works just fine on my kindle. However, I cannot make this file open on the kindle that is on my pc. Every other file I have renamed I can open on my pc, but not this one. I have deleted the file from my kindle; re downloaded it and reconverted it, but for some crazy reason it always says to dowload the file again. I don't get it. It's ok if I don't ever understand because I can make the file as I want it, but I usually like to know what is going on. Any clues?

Thanks
Sylvia2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #275
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia2 View Post
Ratkity - thanks for the directions; I can make this work.

Now I have another question

I was renaming files for a series and had the latest - number 11 - on my Kindle Fire that I bought from Amazon. I wanted to get it renamed with the 11 in the title so I copied the file from my kindle and pasted it into the folder I use for Calibre. Calibre renamed the file and it works just fine on my kindle. However, I cannot make this file open on the kindle that is on my pc. Every other file I have renamed I can open on my pc, but not this one. I have deleted the file from my kindle; re downloaded it and reconverted it, but for some crazy reason it always says to dowload the file again. I don't get it. It's ok if I don't ever understand because I can make the file as I want it, but I usually like to know what is going on. Any clues?

Thanks
You'll have to download the file to a named folder where you know where it is. Import the book into Calibre - don't just drop it into the folder. After you import into Calibre, edit the metadata individually and rename it. It should transfer to your Kindle then.

Hope that helps!!

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #276
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I do this for my series. I edit the metadata to indicate the series number of the novel...ie, I saw him blink-1, He blinked again-2.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #277
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Here's a shout out to Amazon for their EXCELLENT and innovative customer service, and a little tip I haven't seen mentionedbut that fits with the above statement.

My little story... my Fire had a defective screen where along the left edge light would bleed through in an irregular pattern. After living with it for a couple weeks I decided it was too annoying to live with.

So, at first I wrote Amazon an email about it (right from the Fire in settings/customer service), and I got an uncommonly quick reply (I think less than4 hrs) by email to call in. Or rather to use the Fire's, Customer Service "Call now" function.

This function is the simplest, most unobtrusive, innovative thing, that just makes life that much more pkeasant, about the fire. By having the device itself send a customer service request to Amazon every call oz shortened by close to 3 minutes because the Rep has all the customer records up on their screen already. No more sidling in to a comouterized system your digits, then doing it all again verbally with the Rep if you ever get one.

Ok so kudos for the callback implentation. But also kudos to Amazon for a no questions asked return/exchange policy. They did Not make me wait until they had received the defective unit before shipping me the replacement.

Anyway, I'm happy withAmazon and with the Fire even if it doesn't have collections (...yet...?), and I just recommend if you do have sn issue of any kind to make. Good use of the various built-in contact methods Amazon gave us right there on the device.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #278
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Question for those using GO Launcher EX: I'm using it as my default launcher, because I like being able to organize my apps (books on one screen, internet-based apps on one, games on one, grandkids' stuff on one - for now). But the default wallpapers (the Fire's "screensavers") is distracting because most are so busy - makes it difficult to see the icons. I can pull up a different wallpaper, but it never sticks - once the Fire goes to sleep, when I wake it up again I'm back to Amazon's default pics. I like the pics, just don't want them as wallpaper for GO Launcher.

Has anyone had any luck changing the wallpaper and keeping it changed? Thanks!
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #279
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Meereshino, how exactly did you do this?

kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #280
lennyshotgun
lennyshotgun began at the beginning.

Device: fire
Newbee - trying to transfer a file to the fire

I have an epub that i convert to mobi (delete pdoc first) and email to fire - i get 2 options - save or open - if i save it saves to some dir on the fire but its not on the carousel if i hit open it says canot find viewer - help
lennyshotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #281
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Not sure if this already been posted or not but thought it cool.
on the carousel, any APP/Icon you see, if you hit it instead of swiping to the left/right, it will then jump that Icon to the first position on the carousel, which makes it easier for those trying to stop the carousel in time. Try it out
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #282
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyshotgun View Post
I have an epub that i convert to mobi (delete pdoc first) and email to fire - i get 2 options - save or open - if i save it saves to some dir on the fire but its not on the carousel if i hit open it says canot find viewer - help
You have to email it to your Kindle's email Address to get it show up or sideload it to USB, LAN or Dropbox
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #283
lennyshotgun

Blossom - OK I'll try my kindle address - does it have to be set us as my email address and usb? the only port i see is a charging port and an earplug port??????? What is involved in sideload?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #284
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyshotgun View Post
Blossom - OK I'll try my kindle address - does it have to be set us as my email address and usb? the only port i see is a charging port and an earplug port??????? What is involved in sideload?

You email the book to your Fire's Email address. You can find the address on your on the docs shelf. This will make it a personal document though and it will show up on the Documents shelf.

There are a few ways to sideload. You can plug the Fire into your computer using USB then drag and drop the book into the books or documents folders. It doesn't matter which of the two folders to use. I use the Documents folder myself.

You can use the LAN feature on ES File Explorer or Dropbox and use this method to sideload your books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #285
lennyshotgun

Got it thx Blossom

But i still don't get the usb - I can't find a usb port on my fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You email the book to your Fire's Email address. You can find the address on your on the docs shelf. This will make it a personal document though and it will show up on the Documents shelf.

There are a few ways to sideload. You can plug the Fire into your computer using USB then drag and drop the book into the books or documents folders. It doesn't matter which of the two folders to use. I use the Documents folder myself.

You can use the LAN feature on ES File Explorer or Dropbox and use this method to sideload your books.