Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I did notice kindle books are offered now though http://ebooks.mcls.org
That looks very similar to my library's consortium's webpage (I'm sure it's pretty standard) http://seoebook.seo.lib.oh.us/.

If you got a card from your county library, you'd be in business wouldn't you? That was going to be my fall-back option if my local library wasn't participating. I still may get a card from them since they are an OverDrive Advantage library. Meaning:

Quote:
Libraries listed here are members of OverDrive Advantage.They have purchased more copies of popular titles, added new titles specifically for their communities, or both. If your library is listed, you may have access to additional titles. Patrons of OverDrive Advantage libraries also enjoy continued access to the rest of the titles in this website's download catalog!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-22-2011 at 09:32 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #47
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That looks very similar to my library's consortium's webpage (I'm sure it's pretty standard) http://seoebook.seo.lib.oh.us/.

If you got a card from your county library, you'd be in business wouldn't you? That was going to be my fall-back option if my local library wasn't participating. I still may get a card from them since they are an OverDrive Advantage library. Meaning:

I'm not allowed to get a card at my county library, they told me I have to use the library closest to me (township library) The county library has ebooks but apparently I am not allowed to join the library in the county which I live.... It's messed up!
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron.
I'm not allowed to get a card at my county library, they told me I have to use the library closest to me (township library) The county library has ebooks but apparently I am not allowed to join the library in the county which I live.... It's messed up!
So just who IS allowed to get a card at your county library then? That sound's all kinds of messed up.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #49
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So just who IS allowed to get a card at your county library then? That sound's all kinds of messed up.
People who live in the town that library is located in, I'm in the same county different town and my local library refuses to partner with them. It's 7 miles away but I can't join it ha!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Wow! So it's a county library in name only... and a local library for all other intents and purposes. Weird.
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #51
Ron.
Evangelist

Quote:
Wow! So it's a county library in name only... and a local library for all other intents and purposes. Weird.
well the town shares the same name as the county, maybe it is only a town library and we have no county library at all.. they only have 80 ebooks so it's nothing to get too upset over

Last edited by Ron.; 09-22-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

My county library allows anyone who is a state resident to get a free library card. I just checked the eligibility rules. I need to take a trip to one of the branches.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #53
Ron.
Evangelist

I see another library close to me has no residency requirement, I have no idea if they have ebooks though. Need to look into it the next time I am in that area. according to their website they were voted best small library in 2005 for whatever that's worth...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #54
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Overdrive Participating Library Search

Here's a good way to search for Overdrive participating libraries: http://search.overdrive.com/classic. You can search for libraries by zipcode or state. You can also search for books there.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
It's not messed up. Lots of county library systems are like that. Frequently, you'll see some smaller cities who want to go it alone and set up their own public libraries. Most of them will also have reciprocal borrowing agreements with other libraries in the region, including the county library system. Occasionally, you'll run into a few who choose not to participate.

My county library specifically excludes several small towns, because they want no part of the county system. So the real culprit in these instances are the small cities and towns who choose not to participate; not the county library systems.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Here's a good way to search for Overdrive participating libraries: http://search.overdrive.com/classic. You can search for libraries by zipcode or state. You can also search for books there.
That search is a good start, but my local library is a stone's throw from me (literally) and doesn't show up when I search by zipcode—of course it's a member through another member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey
It's not messed up. Lots of county library systems are like that. Frequently, you'll see some smaller cities who want to go it alone and set up their own public libraries.
It's still think it's messed up. You just mean it's quite common.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-22-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #57
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I'm finding a minor bug in this. I'm reading off the Kindle app on my iPad 2. When I check out a book and I'm directed to the Amazon.com website, I select my iPad 2 as my device. When I open the Kindle app on my iPad, and sync, the book that I just checked out doesn't show up. I have to go to the Amazon.com website and select "send to my iPad." Then the book will show up on my iPad.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #58
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:

My library shows up as yours does. What's strange if you click on supported devices, the Kindle does not show up. The other day it did on my library. I am still able to get ebooks though. Just thought it was weird that Kindle doesn't show up as a supported device.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #59
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I successfully downloaded one and I'm still at 3.1. I'm not sure what 3.3 is but it doesn't appear to have any direct connection with library lending.
Same with me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...you cut in line, didn't you?
I sure did! The only thing I can think is the other people decided to read something else. I've had it happen being number 2 or 3 in line but never this far and without only 1 copy and still only 1 copy.

I know now that the Kindle library lending is available the lines are going to get longer. That's the only negative to all this.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote