Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Advice sought for RTF file

I've just finished scanning in some papers that I wrote several years ago. They are currently in RTF format. I would like to format them so they display well on the Sony Reader. A couple of questions:
1) Should I convert the RTF file to LRF? Is there an advantage to doing so? (e.g. size of file, speed of display)
2) What font should I use?
3) How big a font should I use?
4) What line spacing should I use?
5) Any other advice?

Thanks so much!
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
1) If you want to, sure. The advantages are that the file will be about 80% as big in LRF, and you'll be able to have in-line images. There does seem to be some small speed advantage too, but it's not marked.

2) through 3) I'd point you to the formatting BKM in the Wiki

4) I'd suggest you use whatever line spacing you find most comfortable to read.

5) The only other suggestion I'd offer is to look at the various conversion tools available here for the actual conversion.

Hope that helps!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I would echo NatCh. However if you have no images, IMO there is no need to change from RTF. Adjusting the font size is easier for me in RTF but, thanks to others here like NatCh, I have BD set to a nice size for me.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
How do you folks handle footnotes?
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Haven't had that problem so I'm not sure.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i use a lot of rtfs on the sony. i find 14 pt to 16 pt is great (old eyes and i wear cheaters) fonts are 3, courier <ugh>, times <good choice> and ariel or swiss <nice choice>

footnotes are best inline rather than jumping around to find them

ok, i like rtf but there are no images <no big deal for me> and no chapters so there are no tables of contents. not a big deal for the stuff i read
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilarney View Post
How do you folks handle footnotes?
Best approach I've seen (haven't done them myself) is to put them all at the end with links to and from them. I know BookDesigner will let you do them, but I don't know if any of the others will.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Links in RTF do not work. So your only option is to convert the RTF to LRF. Book Designer is your best best in this case.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I would echo NatCh. However if you have no images, IMO there is no need to change from RTF. Adjusting the font size is easier for me in RTF but, thanks to others here like NatCh, I have BD set to a nice size for me.
What size do you use?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
What size do you use?
Typically 18 pt. in RTF (I too have old eyes). Even so I sometimes move the size up to medium or even large if the light is low.

Also I usually prefer Ariel. The lower case "c" in Times Roman looks too much like a lower case "e", so "are" looks too much like "arc". Slows my reading considerably. Of course the Ariel upper case "I" looks identical to lower case "l". I guess there is no perfect font.