Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #646
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Wool socks are usually enough for my feet, though sometimes I slip off my shoes and sit on my feet in my chair. I especially like "smart wool" socks, but right now I'm wearing socks made from camelid wool! (Alpaca, in this case, but it's almost llama. )

I've found that "wristies" (sort of fingerless gloves made from polyester fleece) help a lot, and they don't get in my way while I'm typing. I have low blood pressure, so I also tend to get cold, especially in the extremities.

I have not found a way to keep my nose warm that I can tolerate, however. Partially it's probably due to the allergies making my nose irritated and tender all the time, partially because I really don't like to have anything touching my face. I wear glasses, and that's the limit.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #647
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Zeep, run yourself a nice warm bath. It will help your toes to get a head start on the warming up bit.

You know ... they do have electric booties now?? And battery operated warming socks? Both leave your feetsies all toasty warm.
i'm just going to assume you meant well, but since i do not actually have a bathtub (just a shower) and long ardently for one, that's sort of twisting the knife too. although of course if i stand on the drainhold while the shower is running i can fill up the bottom a bit. a footbath, you could say. it's really not the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Look at it this way. Nature is trying to prepare you for Edmonton....
are you saying i should pack my boots ???? because i wasn't planning to (they are not exactly the most compact shoes i own, but they are by far the warmest).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Hmmm, you could try this tip:

http://www.eternalcamp.com/2008/02/w...d-climate.html

"Take a pair of wool socks, and put them on your feet. Now, over these, put on some nylon stockings.
The combination of nylon and wool is a good thing, because one is naturally positively charged, while the other is naturally negatively charged. Hiking around in these dynamic pairs of foot clothing, creates frictional static electricity that warms up your feet without any need for batteries."
since i already have plenty of wool socks (that's all i wear all winter) i will buy some nylon socks (refuse to wear those usually, nylon=icky) and try this out. i like scientifically interesting solutions to cold feet (that do not consist in wearing a hat *instead* of socks).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #648
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Wool socks are usually enough for my feet, though sometimes I slip off my shoes and sit on my feet in my chair. I especially like "smart wool" socks, but right now I'm wearing socks made from camelid wool! (Alpaca, in this case, but it's almost llama. )
you intrigue me. what is "smart" wool ??? i've never been able to train my socks to do anything. can you teach them to do the laundry themselves ??? how about grocery shopping ? are they reliable about bringing back the change, or do they stop by the bar on the way home and spend it all on beer and cigarettes ?
Quote:
I've found that "wristies" (sort of fingerless gloves made from polyester fleece) help a lot, and they don't get in my way while I'm typing. I have low blood pressure, so I also tend to get cold, especially in the extremities.
yep. i wear those all the time too (we call them "mitaines" which i find ironic because it also means "mittens") although mine are knitted. low blood pressure : me too. do you faint easily in hot humid weather too ? very embarassing. i mean, come on, nobody *faints* anymore. that's so 19th century.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #649
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'm just going to assume you meant well, but since i do not actually have a bathtub (just a shower) and long ardently for one, that's sort of twisting the knife too. although of course if i stand on the drainhold while the shower is running i can fill up the bottom a bit. a footbath, you could say. it's really not the same.
Eeewww .... sorry, I did not know that. Sorry.

So, I'm back to the idea of battery operated foot warmers.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #650
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Eeewww .... sorry, I did not know that. Sorry.

So, I'm back to the idea of battery operated foot warmers.
They exist. See here for an example popular with folks like skiers.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #651
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
since i already have plenty of wool socks (that's all i wear all winter).
"oh my. thank you so much for that mental image. that is going to keep me entertained for DAYS. "

Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #652
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
______
Dennis
hmm. i am actually kind of tempted by those socks. i am just a bit afraid they would not fit inside my shoes, but at worst i could wear them at home while working, instead of wearing two pair of non-electrified wool socks (one very tall, over the knee, and over that a shorter but really thick and fluffy one)...

i do think i will first test out the wool + nylon theory though.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #653
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
"oh my. thank you so much for that mental image. that is going to keep me entertained for DAYS. "

one good turn deserves another, right ?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #654
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
______
Dennis
Well, I know that .... it's why I suggested them. Sheesh.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #655
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Trying to chew my chocolate really carefully so that my jaw won't decide to start hurting.

Chew ..... wait a second or two .... chew .... wait another second or two ... chew.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #656
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
TMJ issues? Or just a sore jaw? I have the TMJ problems -- but with that "chew, wait a second, repeat" routine -- lady, you have more patience than I have! Especially since you are talking about CHOCOLATE!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #657
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
TMJ issues? Or just a sore jaw? I have the TMJ problems -- but with that "chew, wait a second, repeat" routine -- lady, you have more patience than I have! Especially since you are talking about CHOCOLATE!!
I'm pretty sure it's TMJ .... my jaw joint on the upper right ... right up by my ear pops and then there is this awful pain.

If I chew really really carefully, I seem to be able to avoid it.

Mostly, I'm just letting the chocolate melt in my mouth (it's a big ol' bowl of Hershey's Kisses, which is my usual late afternoon snak).
Old 09-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #658
prijikn
prijikn began at the beginning.

Device: None
I am just read this forum and post it.
prijikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #659
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
compliling the poem game too (oops) 2
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #660
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
you intrigue me. what is "smart" wool ??? i've never been able to train my socks to do anything. can you teach them to do the laundry themselves ??? how about grocery shopping ? are they reliable about bringing back the change, or do they stop by the bar on the way home and spend it all on beer and cigarettes ?
Nothing so clever, I'm afraid-- it's a brand name of a kind of wool sock. http://www.smartwool.com

Essentially, these are socks made from pre-shrunk Merino wool, with a "loop" surface interior (like a bath towel). Very comfy, very warm, not itchy at all. I'm wearing a pair right now.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?