Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Why are Amazon App Developers Anonymous?

Just got schooled that the Kindle Developer's Forum is just for eink folk. So I guess I'll ask over here.

I just got this Fire. And I've been merrily loading apps - some free, some not. And I'd like to ask some questions of the developers. And I can't find a link anywhere.

(Admittedly, that may be the reason they stay anonymous.)

Now I am a long time user of Windows freeware. I've downloaded hundreds of programs from different sources. And there is almost always something leading you back to the developer. A web page, a forum, an email address.

Is this anonymity peculiar to Amazon, or are IOS apps that way too?

-----Paul-----
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Amazon does let you list contact information, I don't know why they don't display it on the Appstore pages, but it's there in the portal for us to use when submitting apps. Apple DOES show contact information in the iTunes version of the store, but not in the iOS one.

If you leave a review, there is a chance that a developer will respond if its something they need to address and maybe could test out with you. If a developer sees you around MobileRead and you're complaining, they'll most likely sign up here and address any concerns too. The developer behind PolyClock helped us here when their app wasn't working correctly on the first generation KF.

I usually hunt down developers myself, try to find their website, Twitter handler, etc. They do the same to me, haha. I leave a review on the app store/anywhere on the internet, and they'll find me on Google and e-mail me. One bad review, and it hits them hard.

So yeah, just dig around, you might find their info on the Google Play store, or you may find them elsewhere, like Twitter.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright2 View Post

Just got schooled that the Kindle Developer's Forum is just for eink folk. So I guess I'll ask over here.

I just got this Fire. And I've been merrily loading apps - some free, some not. And I'd like to ask some questions of the developers. And I can't find a link anywhere.

(Admittedly, that may be the reason they stay anonymous.)

Now I am a long time user of Windows freeware. I've downloaded hundreds of programs from different sources. And there is almost always something leading you back to the developer. A web page, a forum, an email address.

Is this anonymity peculiar to Amazon, or are IOS apps that way too?

-----Paul-----
Keep in mind, in the vast majority of cases, you are speaking of "Android apps," not "Amazon apps" per se.

There are many sites for Android development, and many forums where app devs monitor for support of their apps.

What are some of the apps you can't find contact info for?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
pwright2
Connoisseur

Apps Box by basarafire is one. I actually found his website but it's in Japanese. Google Translate does OK but I don't find a contact point. I'm pretty happy with that. I just would like to ask whether any improvements are coming. Like, is there any possibility it could handle books and docs as well as apps.

OTOH, there are two versions of Collections for Kindle Fire which do nothing at $3 a piece (just as the reviews warned). And then Book Collections, which almost sort of works, also at $3 (and also warned).

I'd definitely like to open a channel to those folks. And they have enough negative reviews that I'm not sure they care.

-----Paul-----
Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Google Play lists an email address for the basarafire dev:
basara0124@gmail.com

For Book Collection, just searching Google for the app name found me a message in a Kindle forum that pointed to this web site for info on the app:

http://fireapps.blogspot.com/p/book-...ndle-fire.html

It is true that not every developer wants to be bothered with questions and may not go out of their way to be accessible.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 12-31-2012 at 11:41 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
pwright2
Connoisseur

thank you. Apparently i am not being diligent enough in my searches.

Still ... most every windows program has a help menu containing an About function which lists the program name and a contact of some sort. Don't understand why apps haven't followed that model.

-----Paul-----

Tags
apps, contacts, developers, fire