Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #91
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I am getting a Mac. Not because I think it is "better" than windows, but just different. I like to learn new things, and also want to learn how to develop on/for the Mac. Who knows, maybe I will decide it's "better".

BOb
I'll send my 4 pound double peen hammer. It really helps a lot.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #92
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'll send my 4 pound double peen hammer. It really helps a lot.
To be used on the computer, or my head?

I really wish Microsoft would port the .Net framework to Linux and Mac. Life would be so much easier.

(Yes, I know about mono and will give it a wack. But you still can't do client apps if I understand correctly. Perhaps I need to look again.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #93
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
To be used on the computer, or my head?

I really wish Microsoft would port the .Net framework to Linux and Mac. Life would be so much easier.

(Yes, I know about mono and will give it a wack. But you still can't do client apps if I understand correctly. Perhaps I need to look again.)

BOb
I usually start with the computer.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #94
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I usually start with the computer.
And that implies you end, on the head...

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #95
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Rant:

I absolutly hate authoring Installs. Install Shield is the worst documented tool that I ever work with... and Windows Installer is such an antequated black box.. ARGH!

Try to author upgrades is even worse. Do you HAVE to add to the upgrade table? I thought it would upgrade if the upgrade code was the same. Why is it not?

BOb
Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #96
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I love their Mac/PC commercials, I always watch them when they're new (I have Tivo, so I don't watch commercials I don't like). But I need to be careful -- the other night I caught myself thinking maybe I'd think about getting a Mac!

Fortunately, after an enthusiastic and thorough self-flagellation the thought passed.
Well, you should think about it more. I love their computers.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #97
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Well, you should think about it more. I love their computers.
The dogs. I hate 'em. Won't even make me a slate/tablet. I hate them, I do. I really do.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #98
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
The dogs. I hate 'em. Won't even make me a slate/tablet. I hate them, I do. I really do.
Well, you're barking up the wrong aPple tree. Sorry VR, I just couldn't resist.
Yeah, it's a bummer. But in the meantime, this triple E I'm writing on right now is loads of fun.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #99
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Me, I still use an old Sony Z505 with a 450 MHz P-3 processor and it is maxed out with 384 MB of RAM. I still have the original 8 GB drive (2 x 4 GB partitions.) I stuck a G wireless card and it works like a champ. I use it for client site work only. It runs Windows and Office 2000 so there is problem as it has USB and Firewire as well as a modem and an RJ-45 plug.

I do most of my work on a desktop that is under the desk (don't ask.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 AM   #100
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Me, I still use an old Sony Z505 with a 450 MHz P-3 processor and it is maxed out with 384 MB of RAM. I still have the original 8 GB drive (2 x 4 GB partitions.) I stuck a G wireless card and it works like a champ. I use it for client site work only. It runs Windows and Office 2000 so there is problem as it has USB and Firewire as well as a modem and an RJ-45 plug.

I still use a slide-rule...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 AM   #101
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post

Before the tripleE, I was still using my trusty circa 1999 b&w Power Book. If all one does is writing, what need is there for a power bomb. I also have an old 4ooMHZ IBM on windows 98 just to run the large size inkjet that I require for shop drawings. That printer looses half its functions on XP.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #102
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

ARGH! This damn InstallShield is giving me fits. How important is an upgrade installer anyway. I'm just ready to tell the customers they just have to uninstall the previous version first... ARGH!

Also, when the heck does my VPC drop the first letter I type into it. How annoying is that?

BOb
Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #103
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Why is writting regular expressions so damn hard!

Q$%@$#OJ@$#)VJKANKDSVKLJNA

BOb
Old 05-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #104
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
New Rant:

I absolutly hate authoring Installs. Install Shield is the worst documented tool that I ever work with... and Windows Installer is such an antequated black box.. ARGH!
Get a mac. Develop for mac. Release an application (myprogram.app) that people just drag to wherever they want to, and it'll run.
Uninstall the app? Just drag it to the trash can.

Quote:
Why is writting regular expressions so damn hard!
Lay off the botox. I heard it really screws up your expressions!

oh no ... now I subscribed to this thread
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #105
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Get a mac. Develop for mac. Release an application (myprogram.app) that people just drag to wherever they want to, and it'll run.
Unfortunately I get paid (getting paid is good) to develop for Windows. Web applications (mostly now) actually.

BOb

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness