Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Grensgeval
Grensgeval began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Question K3 update 3.0.3 won't install, other updates will

Wanting to try the 3.0.3 update Amazon has on its site for the Kindle 3, I started with a completely virgin Kindle 3 -just arrived this morning- with 3.0.2 preinstalled.

I follow the steps to the letter; it's a B008 (WiFi only) version, so I grab the corresponding .bin file.
Copy the file to the Kindle root directory, safely remove the unit from Windows, and try to update.

BUT, tragedy: when I open the menu to select "Update Your Kindle", it is grayed/greyed out. The update file, I find out, is summarily deleted by the device.

I've re-downloaded the .bin a few times, using different browsers and different connections even, but each time I get exactly the same file (did file-comparisons), so that's not the problem. I used different tools to copy the update file (unsurprisingly this made no difference). I even tried both the US and EU 3G firmware versions, but of course again no luck.

Thinking it must be a Monday Kindle, I was ready to give up, but tinkered a bit more and found that what does install beautifully, are the various JailBreak, SS and Font hacks. So we know the basic update system functions, I'm doing things right, but 3.0.3 still won't do a thing (also tried post-JailBreak etc - no dice).

Any clue as to what is going wrong and what I could try to install the update? It's a matter of personal pride now, I can't let an electronic device best me
Grensgeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Well, you say that you downloaded the correct version but you might want to recheck. I have not looked recently but are there different versions for US versus other Kindles besides the wifi or 3g versions?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Grensgeval

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Well, you say that you downloaded the correct version but you might want to recheck. I have not looked recently but are there different versions for US versus other Kindles besides the wifi or 3g versions?
There can be no doubt; Amazon's link http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700 gives only three options.

And as written above, I've tested not only the one matching my Kindle version and serial number, but also the others. The Kindle does "see" them all (in some way) because it erases them. That makes it even stranger, to me.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Just a thought -- is your Kindle already registered? IIRC, some functions aren't available until you've registered it with Amazon.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Are you sure the update isn't already on the Kindle? Excuse me for asking, but that's what happened to me once. I tried to upgrade to 3.0.2 and my option was greyed out. I got so frustrated that I almost phoned Amazon, but had a quick look at my settings: and there it was...
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Grensgeval

@jlmwrite - yes, it was immediately registered with Amazon, I connected it to my WiFi out of the box.

@desertblues - unless this 3.0.3 still announces itself as 3.0.2 because it is in beta, it has not been installed. The Settings screen says: Version: Kindle 3.0.2 (55321xxxx) (9 numbers, which Google tells me are unique so I'm not posting them publicly).

Trying and trying again, each time with the same result of an erased .bin file and no updated Kindle is pretty frustrating.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grensgeval View Post
@jlmwrite - yes, it was immediately registered with Amazon, I connected it to my WiFi out of the box.

@desertblues - unless this 3.0.3 still announces itself as 3.0.2 because it is in beta, it has not been installed. The Settings screen says: Version: Kindle 3.0.2 (55321xxxx) (9 numbers, which Google tells me are unique so I'm not posting them publicly).

Trying and trying again, each time with the same result of an erased .bin file and no updated Kindle is pretty frustrating.
Why don't you phone Amazon? It's not that expensive, I found, when I called from overseas. But you can also email to ask wether they can phone you, even if you're not on their ' to phone' list. Only thing I found out that sometimes you have to call them twice, as the quality of their help differs (though always friendly).
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
strange.

when I updated my kindle from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 it didn't work either, I noticed that the device automatically deleted the 3.0.3 firmware too! after several attempts, I tried downloading the firmware from several different places and at last it worked. phew.

if you checked all these things already and your kindle is still stubborn, you should call amazon to get help:
- right firmware for kindle: wifi only or 3g + wifi? its name should be Update_kindle_3.0.3_B00x.bin (x depends on your model)
- drop it in the root folder.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Grensgeval

The latest thing I tried is putting all three different updates in the root of the Kindle, at the same time.

Update still isn't available. Interestingly, the Kindle deletes only the correct (B008) .bin file and leaves the others. I find this erasing of update files very odd. After a succesful flash: sure, delete it. But without even pressing "Update My Kindle", this file should be left alone in my opinion.

So indeed, maybe the best is to give Amazon a call - I hope there is some support on this firmware, it is a beta, after all.

In case of succes or at least progress, I'll report back in this thread.

A friend of mine currently has his new Kindle held up in customs, so assuming it, too, comes with 3.0.2 preloaded, I'll be sure to ask him to try 3.0.3 as well, to see what happens.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
radioactivetoy
radioactivetoy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grensgeval View Post
The latest thing I tried is putting all three different updates in the root of the Kindle, at the same time.

Update still isn't available. Interestingly, the Kindle deletes only the correct (B008) .bin file and leaves the others. I find this erasing of update files very odd. After a succesful flash: sure, delete it. But without even pressing "Update My Kindle", this file should be left alone in my opinion.

So indeed, maybe the best is to give Amazon a call - I hope there is some support on this firmware, it is a beta, after all.

In case of succes or at least progress, I'll report back in this thread.

A friend of mine currently has his new Kindle held up in customs, so assuming it, too, comes with 3.0.2 preloaded, I'll be sure to ask him to try 3.0.3 as well, to see what happens.
I have the same issue with a kindle received yesterday. If you find a solution please let me know. I've noticed that rebooting the devide erases the file too. Could it be a problem with the last batch of kindles?
radioactivetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The number after the version isn't a serial number. It is a build number and shared by all Kindles with that version firmware installed.

515460094 = 3.0
525120101 = 3.0.1
529960105 = 3.0.2
536720111 = 3.0.3

You said that you've got a 55321xxxx build number? It doesn't correspond to any of the released build numbers which is why it isn't updating since the firmware update will only go from a previous public build. What is the full number?

I've never heard anybody else mention that they've got this firmware though so you should talk to Kindle CS. Just going by the number itself, your build came out after the 3.0.2 that was on the website for a short period of time and also after 3.0.3 that is currently on there? 5321xxxxx would make more sense if so...

Its normal that it is deleting the firmware file.

Last edited by Tiersten; 01-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
radioactivetoy
radioactivetoy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The number after the version isn't a serial number. It is a build number and shared by all Kindles with that version firmware installed.

515460094 = 3.0
525120101 = 3.0.1
529960105 = 3.0.2
536720111 = 3.0.3

You said that you've got a 55321xxxx build number? It doesn't correspond to any of the released build numbers which is why it isn't updating since the firmware update will only go from a previous public build. What is the full number?

I've never heard anybody else mention that they've got this firmware though so you should talk to Kindle CS. Just going by the number itself, your build came out after the 3.0.2 that was on the website for a short period of time and also after 3.0.3 that is currently on there? 5321xxxxx would make more sense if so...

Its normal that it is deleting the firmware file.
Mine has 553210206 too. Maybe the post-christmas batch of non-us kindle have that firmware.
radioactivetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
fernandoch
fernandoch began at the beginning.

I received my second kindle this week and I am getting the same problem.

I bought the kindle from amazon.com

I contacted amazon and they just point me to the typical instructions and if they don't work, they suggest me to call, but I live in Spain...

Any new ideas?
fernandoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Grensgeval

Interesting! Yes, the number I xxxx'd out was indeed 553210206.

My Kindle purchase was very strange. I purchased somewhere in November, assuming that the "In Stock" would mean a delivery well before Christmas.

Well, I received my lighted cover 3 days after the order, but no Kindle. So I mailed and was told this must be a mistake, because the device is indeed in stock and ships immediately.

Then another week or so later and another mail: sir, you still haven't received your Kindle? Very odd. May I ask, are in Europe? "Yes, I am." Well, then never you mind the "In Stock, ships in 1-2 Days" we plastered all over your order; for your convenience, we'll ship the unit to you in Europe in 9-10 WEEKS.

This turned out to be 8 weeks, but it was still a very strange customer experience.

Let's summarize. Me, I have the WiFi only version, which as I understand it, is the same for Europe as it is for the US. But maybe this is incorrect.

So does everyone with this problem fit the following:

-affected unit was shipped in 2011
-has the 553210206 build of firmware 3.0.2

and might be the WiFi only unit.(?)

Should this only happen to European customers, I don't have a good explanation.
But otherwise, I would assume the beta 3.0.3 we want to update to, is actually a downgrade and the device rejects it rather inelegantly. A simple message from the device would suffice and not frustrate us tinkerers...

Last edited by Grensgeval; 01-11-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
No problem here but I am in the US...
I wonder if you got the European version which does not allow the 3.0.3 update?
Or possibly since you have a higher version number (553210206 instead of 529960105) means you already have the latest update that is newer than the 3.0.3?
The 3G firmware will not work if you got the wifi only version.

May as well use it and let it ride until you hear or see the official 3.0.3 or 3.0.4.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.0.3, grayed, greyed, kindle, update