Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #181
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I've checked my profile and everything is set correctly. I haven't received an email from Fictionwise or eReader since I ran out of Micropay.
Worth dropping a line to customer service via their web form, then. (& check your spam folder.)
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #182
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm in the US. Still no email for me.

I'm not worried. I've got my books downloaded and backed-up, and it's not likely that they'll be updated.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #183
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've checked my profile and everything is set correctly. I haven't received an email from Fictionwise or eReader since I ran out of Micropay.
aha--good thing I left $1.22 in my account.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #184
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I cleaned out my Micropay account ages ago. (Saw this coming a mile away.)
Still got the e-mail.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #185
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I cleaned out my Micropay account ages ago. (Saw this coming a mile away.)
I saw it coming too, but spending $250 in Micropay without agency books proved to be quite difficult...
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #186
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
I have an eBookwise 1150 and I would like to side-load books onto it. I just received it today (I like playing with old gadgets) and installed the drivers, but without an online library to log on to, I'm not sure how to get my eBooks (which I converted to .rb format on Calibre) onto the device. It is not Calibre compliant.

Can anyone help me? Please reply or PM me.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #187
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
I have an eBookwise 1150 and I would like to side-load books onto it. I just received it today (I like playing with old gadgets) and installed the drivers, but without an online library to log on to, I'm not sure how to get my eBooks (which I converted to .rb format on Calibre) onto the device. It is not Calibre compliant.

See if you can get your hands on a SmartMedia card (128 MB max, if I remember correctly). I used to copy books to the SmartCard, then insert the card in the eBookwise.

Be aware, unlike newer versions of ereaders, with the eBookwise, it's an either/or situation. If you insert the card, the eBookwise will display the contents of the card, and not what's saved in the hardware. (Unlike my Sony, for example, that will show the combined contents of the SD/MemoryStick cards *and* what's saved in the machine's drive).

EDITED TO ADD: One more thing, the eBookwise reads .IMP, not .RB.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 11-24-2012 at 12:30 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #188
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you want "A Child's History of England", Simon, there's a nicely-formatted version right here in the MR library.
Thanks Harry, I keep forgetting about the MR library. I do have my original "A Child's History of England" from when I first downloaded it from eReader.com, but I'm absolutely certain that the MR library version will be much much more nicely formatted than my pdb-to-epub conversion without even looking at the MR library version first .

I really should run through and look for MR library versions of all my PD books.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #189
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post

The other option is the EBookwise Librarian. I traded away my reader a long time ago, but this the software I used to use. It can convert certain open formats (e.g. rtf or html) to the imp format and load documents to the reader. There is a download link at the bottom of the GEB Librarian page. This is Windows-compatible software.

If you are buying secure formats, you'll have to do some converting. Personally, I loved the device and only gave it up when Sony developed a model that offered a comparable user interface and my ebookwise reader started malfunctioning. Hope you enjoy yours.

Last edited by Mikou; 11-24-2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: To mention compatability
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #190
lfeuln
lfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: iPhone, Retina iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Has anyone else still not received the first email from Fictionwise or eReader? I'm still waiting and I'm going to both sites to try and contact support.
I'm still waiting and actually set up a phone reminder to call support this week if it doesn't arrive.
lfeuln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfeuln View Post
I'm still waiting and actually set up a phone reminder to call support this week if it doesn't arrive.
I'm still waiting my code. On Sunday I'll try the link again and see what happens. I'll dig through B&N's site to find the number to call on Monday if I've not gotten it by lunch time Monday.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #192
gstew
gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: HTC HD2 & One X
Angry Another long, sordid tale...

First, to keep the important part easy to follow, I'll put my story at the end.

I've gone through this thread again tonight and as far as I can see, NOONE who has posted here has seen all of their Fictionwise/EReader items transferred, with the greatest number being 185, then 46, then my 31.

I also did a little web-searching on this last weekend, but haven't since. I found a few references to the Fictionwise/EReader shutdowns and bookshelf transfers, a couple references to the debacle that it's been, but NO reports of anyone getting all of their bookshelves transferred. Has anyone here had that happen or seen reference to that happening?

And have you seen other good sources of info on the situation other than this thread?

I'm happy that I have all of my bookshelf items backed up. But I haven't really addressed removing DRM & converting them to a format I can use in the future... and I'm REALLY hoping that this transfer will keep me from having to do that quickly. I did start buying materials from B&N after the Fictionwise/EReader purchase, mainly because I REALLY dislike Amazon's EBook business practices. Now I get to choose between the devil and the incompetent!

Enough venting. Is there any effort to coordinate an organized response to B&N? If so, I'd like to participate... and if not, I'd sure like to be part of making that happen. Right now, all I think we know is:

1. B&N is shutting down Fictionwise & EReader.

2. They have promised to transfer our bookshelves over except for what in practice looks to be a very small percentage of items for most people.

3. Their processes to notify customers, allow them to opt-in, and convert/transfer their books are all broken.

4. They know this and have said they are fixing the problems.

5. We are seeing no results from their efforts and receiving no updates on what's going on.

I'd like to hear from B&N management a statement telling us that they know there's a problem and what they are doing to get everyone's eligible items transferred over... and by when that will happen. Oh, and also how they'll keep us informed in the future.

A bit more venting... They REALLY should take care of us. We've proven that we are book and Ebook consumers. As the reading population continues to decline, we'll be a core portion of their customer base. Given this, I'm a bit miffed at how we've been treated!

Enough venting... anyone got intell on any full transfers, any other good information sources, and whether there's an organized response started?

Thanks!

Greg

P.S. Here's my story... feel free to skip it if you wish.

I started ebooking with Peanut Press back in 1999 & now have 225 EReader & 690 Fictionwise estories/emags/ebooks on my bookshelves.

I got both an EReader and a Fictionwise notice email on 11/16. The Fictionwise notice came in the morning. I responded immediately, got a code, & submitted it to start the conversion. It looked as though it had stopped when I returned from lunch & saw the EReader notice. I responded to it also, got a code that was the duplicate of the Fictionwise one, and submitted it. The website said that the code had already been used.

I checked and saw that only 31 items had made it into my B&N bookshelf. I submitted customer service requests to B&N, EReader, and Fictionwise & then called the B&N Support number. They said there had been issues & it might take up to 24 hours.

I waited until midday 11/18, saw that no more books had converted, & saw a response from B&N support that said:

"Thank you for writing to us about the email which you received to transfer your eReader account books to your Nook.

If you have specific questions regarding the transfer of your eBooks to a NOOK® Library, we kindly request you to go through the FAQ's by clicking on the below link:

http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm

If you need immediate assistance, we kindly request you to reach us through our toll-free number 855-654-9332. Our agents are available from Monday to Friday at 8AM-11PM ET, on Saturdays and Sundays we are available from 9AM to 11PM ET."

Basically, nothing, so I called called B&N Support again. They said that the Fictionwise techs were aware of the issue and that they'd be moving over the remainder of everyone's books during the next week.

11/23, I received an email back from Fictionwise support and another from EReader. Both said:

"Thank you for opting to transfer your eReader Bookshelf to a NOOK Library.

We are continuing the transfer process which is ongoing during the week of November 19, 2012. If you have more titles that are eligible for transfer, we will deliver those titles to your new NOOK Library. You do not need to do anything more in this process as any transferrable remaining titles will appear automatically in your NOOK Library."

I've looked for all of the authors I've purchased on the "no-transfer" list at B&N & saw 2 of my purchases there. I also saw 3 additional combos that contained books I'd purchased separately. I'm hoping the latter will be ok as the books are not listed separately.

So I expect MANY more than 31 to be transferred.

Enough of my story... Here's to getting all our books transferred!
gstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #193
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfeuln View Post
What did they say when you phoned them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #194
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am rather surprised at how poorly this seems to have been implemented.

With a bit of luck, they'll have the problems sorted out before they get to the UK.

Oh - and a reminder to anyone outside the US & UK that it might be an idea to come to the UK on holiday, so that you can legitimately put a UK address on your Fictionwise account. Otherwise you will simply lose all access to your books after 31st January 2013.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #195
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I am rather surprised at how poorly this seems to have been implemented.
Really?
This *is* B&N: when it comes to customer service, they have a reputation. It is well-earned and they live down to it.

This is going about the way I expected it from the moment I received the first email. As is, I fully expect that *nobody* is going to get all their available ebooks. The only question in play is whether the percentage will grow much higher than Nate Hoffelder's 10%:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...t-doesnt-work/

The task they've taken on is inmense and the fact they only allocated 3 weeks or so to it tells me they didn't fully appreciate what they were getting into. Somewhere along the line somebody made promises they can't keep.

My suggestion is to expect nothing: download and strip DRM ASAP, make multiple backups both on- and off-site, and then sit back with some popcorn to watch the show.

They *might* come close to fulfilling their promises but it's going to get frantic. If they do, give'em a round of applause. But don't *expect* a happy ending for all or even a plurality.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote