Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
just bought my reader: follow-up questions

Okay, I think I have it figured out (hope I do, anyhow).

Here is what I think I know.

Sony store is DRM locked as are several other big name stores.

To get those books, I have to download ADE.

With Cailbre, I can get DRMfree books, ePUB books and other formats.

Having the Sony store does not keep me from getting DRM free books, I just can't get them from the Sony store.

I can't download DRM locked books onto my Cailbre, I can only do so with the DRM free and other formats.

So, where am I right and where am I wrong?

And how do I download the DRM locked books from other sources besides Sony, if I can't do it through the Cailbre?

Stripping the DRM locked to make them free is an iffy to me. I buy a book, it is my right to read it, toss it, give it to someone, sell it or put it on an alter and worship it (I think some people really do that about some books, or at least some authors).
Anyhow, the argument is that since a person has that right with their paperbacks/hardbacks, why can't they have that right with their DRM books?

Thus, the stripping. Okay, I can see and understand that, and to a large extent, agree with it.
I'm still iffy on it, right at this time, however.

I will cross that bridge later, I just want to get some ebooks, and Sony has some free that I would like to get, but not if it keeps me from getting ebooks from other sources.

Instead of " I want my Maypo!" it is "I want my BOOKS"
so,

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre can't format-convert or view DRM-locked ebooks, but it can catalog them and load them onto your reader.

As for how you buy DRM'd ebooks from elsewhere, as I understand it, it depends on the ebookstore. I'll have to let one of the people who doesn't share my refusal to give my money to DRM-supporting vendors explain how to go about it.

I buy from booksellers that don't use DRM, and I read a lot of classics.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
JLYates
Connoisseur

Thanks Worldwalker,

I read your post on the Cailbre site after I had posted here, and it was very imformative; thank you for the information that you provided. Let me see things in a different light.

Is there a way to identify the sellers of DRM free books? Or of books that are DRM locked? Forgive me if my phrasing is wrong, still learning how to word it correctly so that it makes sense to me and to those who understand the technology better than I do (which is probably most everyone here).
I read a wide variety of books, romance (mostly paranormal), mystery, thrillers, classical, western, sci-fi, historical, non-fiction; whatever takes my interest. How do you know which are DRM free or DRM locked?

Janette

hope your concussion is better, it has been a long day, my arm is starting to hurt so I off to bed; thanks for the info that has been very enlightening.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm still a bit wobbly, but pretty much recovered otherwise. Definitely better than the last time, when I was dizzy for a week+.

One way is to look for sellers which boast about being DRM-free. Some are realizing it's a selling point. You could try Baen Books, BookView Cafe, and BeWrite, all of which have excellent books without DRM. If you need technical books, O'Reilly is the way to go. There are plenty of others, too, and I'm sure some people will add to this list in the next few posts.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Just because you buy DRMed books from the Sony store does not mean that you can not get DRM free books from other sources. You can pick up the free books from Sony and strip or not strip the DRM and get DRM free books from where ever you like. Getting a DRMed book does not lock your device into DRM, it is just that book. I have several books from Sony's site and from various other sources. You can even use the Sony software for books not purchased from Sony if you so choose.

The point here is that just because you buy/download one (or even one hundred) DRMed books does not mean that you can only get DRMed books from then on.

Pretty much ALL Sony store books are DRM, and generally unless a site advertises that it is selling DRM free ebooks then they are probably all DRMed too.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 06-14-2010 at 11:20 AM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
JLYates
Connoisseur

Thanks guys,

I think I undersand the aspects of it now. I am going to seek mainly DRM free books, but I may have to buy DRM locked for books that I REALLY want.

I will also start learning about stripping, then make a final decision in that area. They are my books, after all. As long as I am not stripping to sell to others or give away to friends; I can see the rightness of it. It is that wrongness that has me upset with the stripping part.

Each person has to made their decisions based on their own beliefs.

Thanks again for the help in understanding all of this.

Janette
Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
If you feel comfortable doing it, there's no harm in stripping the DRM. Publishers still aren't taking ebooks seriously, so you could distribute them too for all they care. After you get it, just don't share it and you're perfectly fine. DRM isn't a tracking cookie, you can do what you want off the radar.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
JLYates
Connoisseur

I think what I will do is learn about it, then later make a decision. For now I have no problem in getting free books from Sony or other sites, several of there are ones that I would like to read, but not keep, so it saves me from buying them.

Thanks for the help.

Janette
Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
I am new to ebooks and one of the things which kept me from getting a reader (besides price) was DRM issues. (Refuse to buy Kindle, at least Sony gives me options). What is "stripping" DRM and how do I find out how to do it? Can "they" trace it/you?
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
JLYates
Connoisseur

I'm not exactly the right person to answer you, but I will give it my best shot, at least in one aspect.
Others can correct me where I am wrong.

DRM is either "locked" or "free". The locked is the type that Kindle has and even Sony, when you buy ebooks from their store, and from several others ebook sites.
To stip it is to remove (and I don't know how it is done) the lock so that the book can become a free DRM.

The argument is that when you enter a bookstore and buy a book it is your's and you have the right to do with it as you want, read it, give it away, tear it up, build an alter and worship it, whatever suits your fancy.
We should have that same right with DRM books. When they are locked, we can't do what we want with them. So, some are removing the lock. I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out how to do it. And, of course, it is supposed to be against the law. An unfair law,but some believe that unfair laws are meant to be broken.
MR is not allowed to condon such actions, the stripping of DRM's, but I am sure that if you want to know about DRM you can check other discussion areas and ask for someone to contact you privately and give you information about what it is and how it works.

Janette