Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Waterstones sells an ebook every 90 seconds!

From an article in the Sunday Times - Waterstones sells an ebook every 90 seconds! Wow. Good news for me!

Sibel
sibelhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Yes it is... and good for ebooks in general
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I took up ninety seconds of Waterstones' time yesterday to buy an ebook. It got lost. Wrote to them for advice. No reply after over 24 hours. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Yes it is... and good for ebooks in general
Indeed! I wonder how many others are selling then because this figure is higher than I thought it would be.

Neil, it's probably still winging its way round cypber-space.

Sibel
sibelhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
hmm one every 90 seconds so

86,400 seconds in a day = 960 books a day or 6,720 a week or 349,00 a year

That seems low to me???

According to waterstones themselves and I quote "300 million books* were sold in the UK in 2005" Thats the most recent statement on their own site I can find

SO 300 Million sold in paper Vs 349k as ebooks so that is 0.11%.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Smile

But who is staying up late to buy books between 2 am and 3 am?
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

***Neil, it's probably still winging its way round cypber-space.***

I eventually found it, Sibel. I was told it would download into Digital Editions, it actually went into the Sony Store -- not as a new title, but buried among about 500 other books I have there. These stores must get their shinola together. Neil
Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelhodge View Post
From an article in the Sunday Times - Waterstones sells an ebook every 90 seconds! Wow.
Which one?
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
But who is staying up late to buy books between 2 am and 3 am?
I expect they average it out to 1 every 90 seconds. I don't think it is literal.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
***Neil, it's probably still winging its way round cypber-space.***

I eventually found it, Sibel. I was told it would download into Digital Editions, it actually went into the Sony Store -- not as a new title, but buried among about 500 other books I have there. These stores must get their shinola together. Neil
Sounds like another case of the new Sony software stealing the .acsm file association that is used to download epub ebooks. You can manually reset it back to Adobe DE in Windows Explorer.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
hmm one every 90 seconds so

86,400 seconds in a day = 960 books a day or 6,720 a week or 349,00 a year

That seems low to me???

According to waterstones themselves and I quote "300 million books* were sold in the UK in 2005" Thats the most recent statement on their own site I can find

SO 300 Million sold in paper Vs 349k as ebooks so that is 0.11%.
Yeah, but Waterstones wouldn't sell all 300 Million. Do you know their share of the market? Then you could have a ballpark deadtree comparison. Sales rate has to be lower than the US, certainly.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
If the Kindle makes up 60% of the US eBook reader market, I wonder if Amazon's eBook sales make up 60% of the US market.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr

Thanks for the advice, Tech_au. I'll give it a whirl. Still no reply from Waterstones' customer 'service', by the way. forty-eight hours and counting ... Neil

Tags
ebook, waterstones