Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I think, especially for the UK, the Sony Reader being available in the countrys leading book store will really help. Especially those who read, but aren't tech savvy.

And obviously the support for EPUB is a big plus.

I'm hoping the support of EPUB is picked up by many more devices and then it won't matter who wins. It will be down to personal preference which device you read on, and not what format it can take. Ala MP3.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
As a person who has a stake in this (I have a Sony PRS 505), I'm curious to hear people's opinions about which of the top two readers is the more likely to eventually capture/dominate the market. Will Amazon's "bookstore status" give it the upper hand? Will Sony win people over with its simplicity/elegance?

Also, which company do you think is more committed to its product?
I can honestly say I don't care who dominates the market. Perhaps Sony will take over the market outside of the US, and Amazon will dominate inside of the US. As long as there is a good source of books available for my Kindle, I don't much care about market shares.

I like to think that Amazon will continue to support the Kindle over the long term ... because then they can sell me lots of books. Whether they decide to support epub or pdf is not something I am concerned with. If I decide to read pdf on something other than my tablet pc, then it will still be something with a larger screen than most ebook readers. I don't really like the idea of having to pan and zoom all over the place to read pdf anyway.

I don't hold Sony in high respect anymore, and I've already stated my opinions on their support team, so there's not much point in stating them again. And, since I don't own a Sony reader and I doubt I will ever purchase one, what they do or don't do with features is of no interest to me.

But, you all have a good time debating the topic into the ground for what seems like the umpteenth time.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
We own two Sony readers but my opinion is Amazon (or someone to be named later) will beat Sony in the long run.

Sony does not have a great track record. Amazon may be equally unproven but look at how clunky the Sony software is and how stealth their marketing is. To me that's an indicator of Sony's effort. I am very pleased to see their latest firmware update and UK sales but the Library software is still a total POS. They should pay Kovid to package Calibre with the reader! Amazon does control more written media distribution and I like the idea of wireless file transfer (and purchasing). I also see a keyboard as necessary for the best possible reader experience (and dictionary function!).

So not every Sony owner picks Sony to win. Neither do I figure Amazon has a lock on the future. Is is conceivable for e-ink to improve to where it becomes a default diplay for portable PC's. At that point a sub-notebook-ish device becomes an e-reader and much more.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Which one will win out, Audi or BMW?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Are they doing e-book readers? Audi is cooler...........
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #21
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
Are they doing e-book readers? Audi is cooler...........
Well it has been a cynic comment that coexisting is normally a normal thing on the market, and therefore the original question invalid. Neither BMW will make Audi non-existent and vice versa.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Hopefully the ultimate answer is... the consumer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I'm sorry but this question is pretty useless, everyone will just pitch the reader he likes best...
Point taken. Let me clarify my question to say that I'm interested in what people honestly think about the prospects of the two products, not just in biased "votes" for one over the other.
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Point taken. Let me clarify my question to say that I'm interested in what people honestly think about the prospects of the two products, not just in biased "votes" for one over the other.
You have a device that works for you, I have a device that works for me. Why does it matter to you now? We've made our choices. What are you hoping to take away from the responses? Will you turn in your Sony if the responses don't favor it (be it Kindle or something else)? Can't we all just get along?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

My question is........why does there have to be just one winner in this contest? Both Sony and Kindle offer different choices. Isn't there enough room in the market for both to be extremely successful? I wouldn't trade my Kindle for anything, but others feel the same way about their Sonys.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #26
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

And ... why does it have to be Kindle or Sony?? Aren't there other players in the "game"?

Further, as long as people have options and like at least one affordable option, who really cares??
Old 07-31-2008, 04:09 PM   #27
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You have a device that works for you, I have a device that works for me. Why does it matter to you now? We've made our choices. What are you hoping to take away from the responses? Will you turn in your Sony if the responses don't favor it (be it Kindle or something else)? Can't we all just get along?

"Please please can't we all just get along?? (sob sob)

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Would like to see Amazon make all their book in the .lrf format
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Would like to see Amazon make all their book in the .lrf format
Do you mean "only" or "also"??
Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #30
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm waiting for a larger screen device for Adobe DE. The Kindle (and the Sony) are fine for reading novels but for technical material my old eyes need a larger screen. It's not so much a question of font size but how large tables, illustrations, and formulas are rendered on the smaller Kindle/Sony screens. Sure, you should be able to zoom in but I'd like to just to able to see everything without having to take extra steps. If the Iliad supported Adobe DE then I'd be happy. As it is now, I buy technical pbooks.

Actually hope both Amazon and Sony do well since we are the ones who will benefit.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!