Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
Supra James
Supra James is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccsargent View Post
Note that if you replace the screen of a K3 with 3G, you should save the old screen if your Kindle OS is less than 3.4. This is because the new screen may not contain the proper waveform, without which your graphics could end up washed out.
Can you elaborate on this, please? I have just replace my screen on the K3G and it's went well. Text looks great, however my screen saver looks messed up and washed out. I'm running software version 3.4. Is there something special I need to do?

I have the old screen available, but can't think what I'd do with it
Supra James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Check post #10 on this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=Waveform
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
Supra James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
Thanks, that gives me some good background information. Unfortunately it's hasn't helped very much. The method has two drawbacks - 1, it's temporary - when you reboot you lose it and have to open the kindle again and 2, you're basically using calibration data for the old screen to drive the new screen. I get additional ghosting in text especailly when accessing menus.

I would like to find a way of creating/obtaining the waveform file for my new screen somehow. I am not holding out much hope though.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra James View Post
I would like to find a way of creating/obtaining the waveform file for my new screen somehow. I am not holding out much hope though.
I would replace "not much hope" with "no hope", if I were you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
Supra James

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would replace "not much hope" with "no hope", if I were you.
That's a great shame, am I basically out of luck then? Thought I was being clever getting a new screen but it hasn't really worked out
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Supra James

I may have another explanation as to why the kindle can't read the EEPROM on my new screen - it hasn't bloody got one!

Compare my old screen:

With the new one:

So, missing chip (presumably EEPROM) and slightly different model number. Amazing that it works at all

Can anyone here with screen replacement experience recall if their new screen has a chip/eeprom on the ribbon cable?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
I've never replaced a screen with a NEW one, only with USED ones. I've had one success and one ... almost success, like what you've described. (see the pictures in my K3 Problems album)

Just for further information for the rest of us, where did you purchase the replacement screen?

Remember, it's not a complete failure. It's still a decent reader, it just doesn't show images worth a damn anymore.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #23
Supra James

It was purchased from a seller in China on AliExpress

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/273933156.html

I sent him a message and he's actually admitted that I have the wrong part as his listing does show the eeprom chip in the picture, and he's sending a correct replacement (hopefully!)
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
dimasic
Enthusiast
dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 4NT
Supra James, can you tell the EEPROM marking? What kind of chip is on the "good" screen ribbon cable? And is there a pads for the chip under the label on the "bad" one? Thank you.
dimasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
veroiatno
veroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3
I got mine from here and I didn't notice any problems yet.
veroiatno is offline   Reply With Quote