Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Kmcd
Kmcd began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Links to external PDFs

Let me begin with by apologizing if I'm posting in the wrong forum. If so, just let me know.
I just wanted to ask a very basic question, and it doesn't seem to be covered in any of the threads I've searched. I have an epub with a lengthy Bibliography. Within that bibliography are many links to external resources - some or urls, while others are pdfs. The links to the urls work fine, but the pdf links do not, the reader interprets them as being local to the epub and looks for them in the OEBPS.
Is there any way of directing the reader to open a browser when pdf links are clicked, rather than look for them within the book?

Many many thanks for any feedback on this. Any help would be truly appreciated

Cheers,
KM
Kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Are you storing the PDF on a public server?
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcd View Post
Is there any way of directing the reader to open a browser when pdf links are clicked, rather than look for them within the book?
I have a sneaky suspicion that your reader is trying to open the pdf by itself, which would then replace the book you are currently reading. An url is likely opened in an internal viewer or using the external browser. Just a hunch though...
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Kmcd
Kmcd began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Thanks for the quick replies. Their not actually our PDFs, their part of the bibliography, and the citation links out to the PDF on any number of servers.

Thanks
Kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Below is an example of a working link back to a PDF which open from ADE into Web browser.

This is from a notes section.

Code:
<p class="notes">p.<a href="chapter11.xhtml#page_84">84</a> Of course, a dog’s sense of smell is well known . . . ‘The dog’s sense of smell’, <a href="http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0066/UNP-0066.pdf"><span class="black">http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0066/UNP-0066.pdf</span></a></p>
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, links, pdf