Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Press open-apple question mark.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
From what I understand the PARC interface was rather convoluted though. Like you had to click one of the three mouse buttons to start a selection, then a different one to complete it.

And to be clear PARC did not develop the mouse itself. That was created more than half a decade earlier by a man named Douglas Engelbart (who envisioned it to be used alongside a chorded keyboard).
No argument on either count, but still the modern GUI interface (even with a 3 button mouse), was designed and tested there. Designing and testing human/computer interfaces was what PARC was for. Credit where credit is due.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #18
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I started using mac because in 1996 because PC had no colour management at all. I am not talking simple monitor calibration but a colour managed workflow from raw camera input to cmyk profiled output.

Then kept going on mac because the high end cameras used firewire and the pc firewire implementation was so weak that camera manufacturers didnt write software for PC.

Now of course I use mac because I am a shallow stupid hipster that wants to impress others with my disposable income. Who knew
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
This made me chuckle. Like he/she is the only hipster using a Macbook.
Soo, does a hipster use a Macbook ironically?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
The article is almost one year old, just like the survey it's based on. Why is this in the news section?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
The article is almost one year old, just like the survey it's based on. Why is this in the news section?
Because someone posted it here...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Because someone posted it here...
.. and because there's no "Breaking news only" stipulation I'm aware of.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
.. and because there's no "Breaking news only" stipulation I'm aware of.
Quote:
News

Latest on e-books, e-paper, DRM and related technologies
After 11 months it isn't really "latest".
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
After 11 months it isn't really "latest".
Semantics.
*shrugs*
Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I know. They price compare the entry level Apple products to mainstream/brand name PCs ignoring the fact that 1) there are less expensive PCs, and 2) PCs go on sale.
Entry level, avoid mac. However, last time I did some realistic price comparison of higher end machines, a Mac Pro was within $50 of the comparable Dell.

I do think it is stupid that Apple has forsaken the lower end market. Most people don't want to spend $1500 on a decent machine. (yes, I know that there are cheaper macs, but that is about the point at which you're not getting raped by the Apple tax)
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #26
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Entry level, avoid mac. However, last time I did some realistic price comparison of higher end machines, a Mac Pro was within $50 of the comparable Dell.

I do think it is stupid that Apple has forsaken the lower end market. Most people don't want to spend $1500 on a decent machine. (yes, I know that there are cheaper macs, but that is about the point at which you're not getting raped by the Apple tax)
$50? !

typically you'll pay double for an intel with an apple on it...and get less.

jobs was first and foremost a marketer, but he knew what he wanted and marketed his company to the people he wanted to hire. got them. and did some real innovation through them. he's far more the innovator than gates ever was.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
$50? !

typically you'll pay double for an intel with an apple on it...and get less.
I don't believe this is accurate. Every time I've done this comparison, the equivalently specced PC has been very nearly the same price. And sometimes more expensive.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #28
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Apple has margins that Dell would kill for. Which company has better financial results? Nothing stupid about that! Apple may never dabble properly in the low end. I think that would be the 'death of the canary in the coal mine,' when Apple is no longer a growth company and starts scrambling for "value."

Their prices are competitive on some of the high end goods, for example MacBook Airs. Most similar-spec PC's that are cheaper are not as well built. The more powerful Sonys (high-end Vaio) are much more expensive and not everyone will agree they have a similar build quality.

The tablet market is evolving but the last generation had a few contenders at the same or nearly the same price. Latest iPad reviews are quite favorable even if they didn't bump the essential speed of the device. Feels like only the next version of the Asus Transformer has a shot at taking some share from the iPad, aside from those who are dedicated to Android OS already.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't believe this is accurate. Every time I've done this comparison, the equivalently specced PC has been very nearly the same price. And sometimes more expensive.

welp, do it today. show your work. i double-dog dare ya
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
welp, do it today. show your work. i double-dog dare ya
You were the one making the claim. I dispute your claim. You should do the leg work.

But I'll do half of it for you.

iMac:
21.5" 1920x1080 resolution screen
2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
4GB RAM
500GB Hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB
Bluetooth multi-touch mouse or trackpad
Bluetooth keyboard
Firewire and thunderbolt interfaces
web camera
Small desk footprint

Bundled Software:
Mac OX S Lion
iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband
Mail, iCal, Addressbook
Time Machine backup software

tech specs are here: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Note that this machine hasn't changed in price since it was released nearly a year ago. You should find this an easy challenge.

$1199.

Please find something similar in a Windows PC for $599 (half price). Full Windows 7 please, and roughly equivalent bundled software.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote