Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
jineapple
Enthusiast
jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
New reader after Kindle Keyboard

I recently broke my kindle (a fall on concrete ruined most of the display) and now I'm looking for a new ereader. I'm not quite sure what to get though.

Important Concerns for me:

-It should definitely be eInk, can't even imagine reading long books on an LCD
-Something other than a Kindle would be cool, as I'm not absolutely happy being stuck with ONLY amazon (especially borrowing from libraries would be nice)
-However, I like the easy shopping on the kindle. If I want a specific book, I have no problem using the computer, but I want to be able to browse and buy books without much hassle. I also don't have a credit card, the shop should support other payment methods.

A bit less important, but can still make a difference:

-Good pdf viewer (or properly working conversion from pdf)
-I want a keyboard (can by physical or a touchscreen, but not just a 5-way controller)
-physical buttons for page turning would be nice, but can live without them too
-Frontlight would be cool I think (haven't been able to test one myself yet though), but if the reader otherwise puts out, I can live without that as well, as I have so far.
-Dictionaries, markings, annotations and being able to sort the books in some way, but I just need the basic feature here, it doesn't have to be really sophisticated. If need be, could live without any of the first three as well.

I'll look forward to any tips, thanks
jineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No 6" device can display PDFs well - I'd suggest dropping that requirement.

I'd get a Kindle Paperwhite. It satisfies all your other requirements, and its soft keyboard is so much easier to use than the horrible rubber keys of the Kindle Keyboard!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
What country do you live in?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
jineapple
Enthusiast
jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.

I'm from germany

I've been looking at the kindle PW of course, but as said I'd prefer another reader if it's similarly good and has a decent shop.

Of course a small screen isn't ideal for PDFs, but the Kindle has at least done a less than horrid job (I think the biggest issue was not being able to search the document fully, only the page you were on). But the pdf reading is just a plus, it's mainly for normal reading. I'm not going to buy a reader much larger than 6''

I've been happy with the rubber keyboard tbh :P I don't mind either way, but it's going to be a touchscreen for most readers anyway.

The main issue with other readers - and that I can't quickly check for myself - is how good the shop is, especially for browsing.

Last edited by jineapple; 07-04-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
If you really want something else than Amazon, Bookeen's Cybook Odyssey HD maybe?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Do you have a chance to test Kobo Aura HD in a shop? It's not too bad, even (as seen on the web) for PDF. I was testing it just today. But so far my KK is working. Recently it majorly froze though and I was torn crossing fingers as I didn't know to keep them crossed for it to die (and I can have a new gadget) or it revives. It survived.
And you can check Cybook Odyssey HD frontlight from talia.de (or thalia, can't remember)

Edit: great minds think alike
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
jineapple
Enthusiast

The Cybook looks nice, but apparently the Thalia shop has few english ebooks - I like reading the original version where possible.

I've been planning to test ereaders in a shop, especially to see how I like frontlit screens, so I'll keep an eye out for the Kobo Aura HD.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
jineapple
Enthusiast

So I've been able to test some e-readers today...I've mostly been disappointed though

I tested the Tolino shine (Think it's only for sale in germany) in a bookstore but couldn't even access the store despite having wifi, it didn't stop loading. Didn't get around to ask an employee, it could of course be an issue with the network in the shop or the tolino being restricted for demo in some way, but it still doesn't exactly make a good impression

The rest of the devices I looked at in an electronics store:

Kindle touch and Kindle PW
A Sony PRS-T2
Kobo touch, Kobo Glo and Kobo Aura HD

Generally I think the displays look better without any Frontlighting, but I can see how it's useful and it didn't cause any eyestrain for me. Not sure if I'm willing to shell out the money for it though, it didn't impress me that much.

Both the Sony and the Kobo store were quite disappointing. Unlike Amazon, neither of those has browsing for categories in both german and english.
I've looked for some books and didn't always find them...again, neither of them could get the full Wheel of time series (Sony had a few books of them, Kobo none) despite it being a widely known and bestselling series.
Maybe I'm a bit harsh here, I don't think it's easy to build up a really complete shop if you don't have the pre-existing infrastructure of Amazon, but for me what counts is the result I get in the end

Not really a fan of the touchscreens either so far, I've had some issues with all of them, but then again I haven't really used one so far (my mobile doesn't have one either). With some time I could get used to it I guess...

Still, right now the Standard Kindle more or less is the most attractive option for me (regardless of price)...which is somewhat disapppointing in itself.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jineapple View Post
Both the Sony and the Kobo store were quite disappointing. Unlike Amazon, neither of those has browsing for categories in both german and english.
From memory I would say that on Kobo the categories are shown in the language used by the interface. If you set it to German, you'll be able to browse in German. I can even type in Japanese when the whole interface is set to this language. For Sony, I have no idea since my ereader has no WIFI capability.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I think google bookstore is available in germany, maybe you'll have better luck there. And you can always buy two ereaders
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You really wouldn't see the benefit of the frontlight in a brightly lit store. The benefit comes when you're reading in poor light, and in that situation it really does make a world of difference.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
To me store is irrelevant. I buy where I can find a promotion for an interesting book or where I find it cheapest. None of my readers are tied to any store. I understand it's about how easy it is to buy and download directly but still, doesn't matter to me.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jineapple View Post
-Something other than a Kindle would be cool, as I'm not absolutely happy being stuck with ONLY amazon (especially borrowing from libraries would be nice)
You can buy books from places other than Amazon - Baen, Smashwords, Project Gutenberg (okay, they're free, but still). In the US you can check out Amazon books from the library, but I'm not sure if you can do that in any other country.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
jineapple
Enthusiast

Hmmm that's interesting. In Germany, the Kindle is the only ereader you can not get books from the library with, because of the missing epub compatibility (Or at least, I haven't been able to find anything suggesting Amazon books are available in a library). Makes sense considering Amazon has their own system with being able to borrow books with Prime...I'm not sure how important this is to me though...currently the libraries I usually use don't even support e-books, though that may change of course...

Currently I'm leaning towards the Kindle PW, but I'm going to take some time before finally deciding. Thanks for all the tips so far though
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, you can't borrow Kindle books from the library here in Europe.

Tags
buying, ereader, frontlight, kindle, shop