Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #18916
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, I'm expecting to slowly work my way through the Amelia Peabody books. I've got the first four here, in an omnibus, and then I hope to score at least some of the others at the library.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #18917
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Crocodile on the Sandbank, by Elizabeth Peters, and enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to more in the series. Meanwhile, I've been listening to Necessity's Child by Sharon Lee, and reading The Steerswoman, by Rosemary Kirstein. I'm really enjoying both, but especially The Steerswoman. Highly recommended, even though you'll have to wait for eBook versions of the rest of the 4 books in the series.
Finished Necessity's Child, read by Eileen Stevens. Thoroughly enjoyed this re-read. (I read the eBook when it first released, but held off on the audio book for a bit.)

And I'm nearly finished with The Steerswoman, by Rosemary Kirstein. Excellent, I'm enjoying it every bit as much as I did when it first released in 1989. I highly recommend this series. So far only the first book is out in eBook format, but more are to come according to her blog.
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #18918
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
Just finishing up Monster Hunter International, and will begin Monster Hunter Vendetta sometime today. I really enjoyed the book, it's fast paced and full of action, and of course killing monsters .
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
!! Now back to one of the 4 others I have begun. I think maybe I'll finish Ruddy Gore next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished reading Ruddy Gore and next I'll finish reading Indemnity Only.
I've finished Ruddy Gore and Indemnity Only and enjoyed them both a lot! Next I'll finish reading Dance of the Winnebagos!

Last edited by alansplace; 02-08-2014 at 07:34 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #18919
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I'm reading Ten Second Staircase, 4th in the Bryant and May series by Christopher Fowler.

I like these books because number one they are mysteries with just a touch of otherworldly stuff. Two they contain all kinds of interesting historical information and trivia. The characters are all a little strange, mostly in good ways.

I do find the plot twists and the jumping back and forth between past and present a little confusing on occasion, but this is probably good exercise for my elderly brain.

Lovely books overall.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:31 AM   #18920
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've not had as much reading time the last few days as I'd have liked to, so it took me three evenings, but I'm now done with Cress, the third in Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles (YA science fiction with romance, loosely based on fairy tales), and enjoyed it a very great deal.

I feel like this is one of those series that actually goes from strong to stronger - I loved Cinder, the first book in the series, thought Scarlet was even a bit better, and now Cress was even better yet.

Really looking forward to Winter next year for the conclusion!
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #18921
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Unfortunately, Elizabeth Peters (real name: Barbara Mertz) died 6 months ago, but left a wealth of enjoyable reading material to her fans. I hope to read all 19 of the Amelia Peabody novels eventually.
I notice that a 20th book in the series is due for publication in 2015. I don't know if this is a book she left incomplete, and someone else has finished, or what, but it's good news.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:45 AM   #18922
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I notice that a 20th book in the series is due for publication in 2015. I don't know if this is a book she left incomplete, and someone else has finished, or what, but it's good news.
Oh, that's very good to know! Where did you see it, if I may ask?

I'd hope it's something she had started, at least, since I do recall there being talk of more than one new book to take place in the gaps in the series timeline before/when A River in the Sky was published, so it's quite likely that she was working on more than one idea/book.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #18923
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/elizabeth-peters/

"The Painted Lady", due for publication in April 2015.

It's a wild stab in the dark, but I'm wondering, based on the title, if it might perhaps be about the discovery of the famous bust of Nefertiti at Amarna in 1912.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-09-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #18924
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just finished "Space Cadet" by Robert Heinlein, originally published in 1948. This was the second of the Heinlein "Juveniles", and tells the story of a teenage boy, Matt Dodson, and his experiences training to be an officer of the Space Patrol. The book inspired the long-running "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" series, but the original is, IMHO, enormously better.

This is one of my favourite books, and I've read it many times. Real "comfort reading" for me.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #18925
Yapyap
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/elizabeth-peters/

"The Painted Lady", due for publication in April 2015.

It's a wild stab in the dark, but I'm wondering, based on the title, if it might perhaps be about the discovery of the famous bust of Nefertiti at Amarna in 1912.
Thanks! That does sound possible - but whatever it's about, if that book materialises, I will want it.

ETA: It seems the working title (and under which there's also an Amazon entry) was The Painted Queen, and it is indeed for the 1912-1913 season.

Last edited by Yapyap; 02-09-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #18926
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Thanks! That does sound possible - but whatever it's about, if that book materialises, I will want it.

ETA: It seems the working title (and under which there's also an Amazon entry) was The Painted Queen, and it is indeed for the 1912-1913 season.
Thanks. Perhaps my guess was right, then! We'll see next year .
Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #18927
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
I finished Crocodile on the Sandbank. I loved it and will continue with the series very soon.

I want to finish The Way of Kings before starting anything new.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #18928
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Currently reading "A Liaden Universe Constellation" Vol 1 & 2. I've read most of the stories already (Unibus 1 & 2), but it's never less than great pleasure to read them again, and there are a few that are new to me.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #18929
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Currently reading "A Liaden Universe Constellation" Vol 1 & 2. I've read most of the stories already (Unibus 1 & 2), but it's never less than great pleasure to read them again, and there are a few that are new to me.
Agreed. I just finished going through these again. And enjoyed them thoroughly. (If you like audio books, btw, there are two Liaden books on sale at Audible right now for $4.95 - Agent of Change and Crystal Soldier.)
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #18930
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Necessity's Child, read by Eileen Stevens. Thoroughly enjoyed this re-read. (I read the eBook when it first released, but held off on the audio book for a bit.)

And I'm nearly finished with The Steerswoman, by Rosemary Kirstein. Excellent, I'm enjoying it every bit as much as I did when it first released in 1989. I highly recommend this series. So far only the first book is out in eBook format, but more are to come according to her blog.
Finished The Steerswoman, and eager for the next to be available in eBook format.

Started the second in the Tinker series, but got sidetracked by a new Bill Slider.