Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I would expect that a wife has a better trade-in value than that. I would want at least a CD of ebooks AS WELL as a 600
I think you'd have to pay for Sony to taker her off your hands. Wives can be quite expensive to maintain.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #32
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This thread is beginning to read like "The Stepford Wives" - Sony version. Any way to flash an existing wife's firmware. (Oh no - just read that sentence - apologies in advance for offended sensibilities).
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #33
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Are you sure, it didn't get caught by you spam filter? I've had that happen a couple of times with shipping labels.
That was my first thought, but there's nothing there.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #34
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I would expect that a wife has a better trade-in value than that. I would want at least a CD of ebooks AS WELL as a 600

I'm going to make sure she doesn't read this thread!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #35
junkml
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you'd have to pay for Sony to taker her off your hands. Wives can be quite expensive to maintain.
Luckily this is Wife 2.0 - a much improved model!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post

I'm going to make sure she doesn't read this thread!

Wise man.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #37
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would guess that this offer will only be available in the US, given that the PRS-500 was never officially sold elsewhere.
Ah !
The US-only update now make sence.I was wondering what had gotten into sony.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #38
twaits
twaits began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Will be interesting, if this upgrade will provide support for justified text with epubs.
twaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by twaits View Post
Will be interesting, if this upgrade will provide support for justified text with epubs.
I doubt it. It would be awful in any case. None of these devices actually support the level of precision needed to provide this is a reasonable way that does not strain your eyes.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #40
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Talking

THANK YOU igorsk and mobileread for letting me know about this update! I am totally going to do it. I've been somewhat unhappy with my 500 lately, and been toying with the idea of getting something else but not wanting to spend the money. Maybe this update will fix some of the problems.

As far as why they are doing this -- this may keep me from switching to a Kindle, which certainly would not help Sony at all!

europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I doubt it. It would be awful in any case. None of these devices actually support the level of precision needed to provide this is a reasonable way that does not strain your eyes.
But, if Sony did support justified ePub with the new 500 firmware, all one would have to do is strip the DRM and change the justification in the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #42
therealcmj
therealcmj began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Just in case anyone else missed it, on the original post there's a link to the form on Sony's site. The button to request a prepaid UPS label seems to now be working and clicking it results in a Next Day Air label appearing in a new window. If you had trouble double check to make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off.

I'm shipping one of mine back tomorrow.
therealcmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #43
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Does anybody know when this offer ends? I'd like to wait until the release of the PRS-900 before taking a decision.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #44
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Does anybody know when this offer ends? I'd like to wait until the release of the PRS-900 before taking a decision.
The trade up deal is valid 'til April 30, 2010.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #45
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, it's extremely rare to see 2-generation-old hardware receive such a level of support. It's good to see a company going the extra mile to support their early adopters when so many others would have just left hanging out to dry.

Last edited by charleski; 11-16-2009 at 10:46 AM.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote