Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #226
LilyEvie
LilyEvie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just to let you know - The search feature on the Freading site is broken - at least for authors - example search for Barbara Hambly - 0 results but if I search for "the Bride of the Rat God" it will come up. Then when I click on the authors name there will be 16 books listed. Unfortunately as a result these books are not detected by your plugin. I wish they had a way of contacting them to let them know it is broken.

Thanks for all your hard work on this plugin. I use 9 different ones and yours is the only one that is constantly being improved via users suggestions.
LilyEvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 AM   #227
LilyEvie

Just found out that search by keyword also seems to be broken by Freading site. All other libraries I use seem to be OK.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #228
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 2012, Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab 10.1
jhowell: A question regarding the Kindle Unlimited search, does it search for books with narration as an audiobook or it doesn't differentiate the plain ebooks with the narration ones??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #229
jhowell
Zealot
jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: iPad 2, Kinde PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
jhowell: A question regarding the Kindle Unlimited search, does it search for books with narration as an audiobook or it doesn't differentiate the plain ebooks with the narration ones??
Currently it doesn't differentiate. I will look into adding the ability to distinguish them.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #230
jhowell
Zealot
jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'jhowell can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyEvie View Post
Just to let you know - The search feature on the Freading site is broken - at least for authors - example search for Barbara Hambly - 0 results but if I search for "the Bride of the Rat God" it will come up. Then when I click on the authors name there will be 16 books listed. Unfortunately as a result these books are not detected by your plugin.
I have released version 1.15.2 of the plugin to work around the recent changes at Freading.
Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM   #231
Montana Harper
Montana Harper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
The latest version of the plugin (at least, though possibly earlier versions, also, since I haven't used it in a couple of weeks) has a bug where it doesn't seem to "remember" once you update a book that it's found if you're searching for multiple books. With each successive book you find, the list is concatenated rather than replaced, and if you tell it "yes" to update on a later list, you get the warning about metadata having changed since you started the job.

ETA: I should correct that to read "With each successive book you *search for*, the list is concatenated rather than replaced," since you get the popups even when a book isn't found.

Last edited by Montana Harper; Yesterday at 04:56 AM.
Montana Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM   #232
LilyEvie

I have noticed that in some cases, I am offed the choice of downloading the book twice from the same library. Sayers - Whose Body for example where other books by the same author are offered normally.
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #233
Montana Harper

In my experience, LilyEvie, that means that the library has more than one copy available. I especially notice it with things like translations of classics; I did a search for The Odyssey the other day and came up with 2-3 versions at each library.
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #234
jhowell
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Harper View Post
The latest version of the plugin (at least, though possibly earlier versions, also, since I haven't used it in a couple of weeks) has a bug where it doesn't seem to "remember" once you update a book that it's found if you're searching for multiple books. With each successive book you find, the list is concatenated rather than replaced, and if you tell it "yes" to update on a later list, you get the warning about metadata having changed since you started the job.

ETA: I should correct that to read "With each successive book you *search for*, the list is concatenated rather than replaced," since you get the popups even when a book isn't found.
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure that I understand your description of the problem. I think you are saying that you are often seeing the warning that "The metadata for some books in your library has changed since you started the search" when you are dealing with search completion dialogs.

I assume that you are starting a search and while that is in progress you start another search that includes some of the same books. If that is the correct then don't do that! The plugin isn't designed to deal with that case. In fact, I will make a change in the next release to prevent the plugin from starting a new search for the same books while one is already in progress.

If I have misunderstood the issue then please try to clarify it for me.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #235
jhowell
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyEvie View Post
I have noticed that in some cases, I am offed the choice of downloading the book twice from the same library. Sayers - Whose Body for example where other books by the same author are offered normally.
Quote:
In my experience, LilyEvie, that means that the library has more than one copy available. I especially notice it with things like translations of classics; I did a search for The Odyssey the other day and came up with 2-3 versions at each library.
I agree with Montana Harper that the most common case for getting multiple links for the same book to the same library is that different editions of the book are available. For example, OverDrive has multiple editions of Whose Body? available to libraries. It can be useful to know that you have a choice when some are checked out and others are still available.

Multiple links can sometimes also be caused by books with similar names being incorrectly matched by the plugin. If you notice books that are inappropriately linked you can bring them to my attention here and I'll try to improve the matching algorithm.
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #236
Montana Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure that I understand your description of the problem. I think you are saying that you are often seeing the warning that "The metadata for some books in your library has changed since you started the search" when you are dealing with search completion dialogs.

I assume that you are starting a search and while that is in progress you start another search that includes some of the same books. If that is the correct then don't do that! The plugin isn't designed to deal with that case. In fact, I will make a change in the next release to prevent the plugin from starting a new search for the same books while one is already in progress.

If I have misunderstood the issue then please try to clarify it for me.
Yeah, I think I wasn't clear. Let me see if I can lay it out for you, step by step, because I don't start successive searches; I highlight a block and let OL do its thing. (BTW, I love the fact that it now queues up books as individual jobs, even when you start them all at once! It makes it easier to pause or stop if I realize there's a problem.)

1. I highlight a group of books and tell OL to "Search for Selected books." For the sake of this example, let me call them Book A, Book B, Book C, Book D, Book E, and Book F.
2. OL queues up six searches as background jobs and starts searching.
3. It searches for but doesn't find Book A, so pops up the dialogue and tells me it found nothing. I click on OK.
4. It searches for and finds Book B, so it pops up the "found" dialogue and asks if I want to update metadata for that book. I click OK.
5. It searches for and doesn't find book C, so it pops up...the found dialogue for Book B. If I tell it OK again, it warns me that the metadata has changed since the search was started. I click OK anyway (or cancel; it doesn't matter because the behavior is the same.
6. It searches for and finds Book D, so it pops up the "found" dialogue, listing Book B and Book D as found. If I click OK, I get the warning about metadata. If I cancel, I don't get Book D updated.
7. It searches for and doesn't find Book E, so it pops up the "found" dialogue, listing Book B and Book D as found. Warning about metadata, etc. etc.
8. It searches for and finds Book F, so it pops up the "found" dialogue, listing Book B, Book D, and Book F.

Rinse and repeat.

The behavior is the same whether I'm paying attention and clicking on the popups immediately, or I'm away from the computer and they accumulate.

Basically, it seems to be concatenating the search results in each successive results box, instead of wiping the search slate clean. I'd expect this behavior with the discovered books, since there's no active popup for that function and so the user has to actively go check out the discovered books and determine what to do with them, but I don't expect it in the active pop-ups when searching for specific individual books (as opposed to all books by a specific author that I don't have in my Calibre library, etc.).

I'm using Calibre 1.46-64 bit, Windows 7 Pro, and Overdrive Link 1.15.2.

My OL configuration includes six Overdrive libraries, two 3M libraries, one 1-Click Digital library, Amazon Unlimited, and Scribd (for which I have set up my login information).

If there's anything else you need, let me know.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #237
jhowell
Zealot

Quote:
Yeah, I think I wasn't clear. Let me see if I can lay it out for you, step by step, ...
Thank you for the exceptionally clear explanation! I use the plugin with a particular set of configuration settings and the problems were not apparent to me in my testing. I reverted to the default settings and was able to duplicate the problems you describe.

First, it is not intentional for all of the searches to be split into separate jobs. By default they should all be done in a single job. The "Maximum authors per search job" configuration option at its default value of 0 is supposed to not split into jobs by author and that is broken. I will fix this in the next release.

If you like the jobs split up individually then set the value to 1 in the configuration and it will search one author per job.

When I use the plugin I normally select the option "Allow # search jobs to run simultaneously" since that produces faster results. However, it also better isolates each search job from the others, making bugs less apparent. When I turned this off I was able to duplicate the spill over of results between jobs. This will also be fixed in the next release.

I should have a release with the fixes and some new features ready tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help!