Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
GeePee
GeePee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Edit a converted book

I have a book which was written and saved in rtf and this has been converted quite successfully by Calibre. There are one or two very slight formatting errors. If I correct these in the word version, can I upload the whole correct manuscript again and overwrite the original rather than start again, as I would not like to upset the calibre settings which I have got just right for me.

Secondly, if there a preferred format for pictures? ie jpg or gif? Although I have found this "how to" website - HERE
GeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I have a book which was written and saved in rtf and this has been converted quite successfully by Calibre. There are one or two very slight formatting errors. If I correct these in the word version, can I upload the whole correct manuscript again and overwrite the original rather than start again, as I would not like to upset the calibre settings which I have got just right for me.
You can use the Edit Metadata dialog to replace (or add/delete) the formats associated with a book entry. Rerunning a conversion will then overwrite the output file.

Quote:
Secondly, if there a preferred format for pictures? ie jpg or gif? Although I have found this "how to" website - HERE
I would expect that jpg is now the commonest format with png the next most common.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if the converted format is epub then edit it sigil ( free epub editor) no need to go back to rtf.

OTOH, calibre will remember how it converted the book last time, so a reconvert should be just like before.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
GeePee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if the converted format is epub then edit it sigil ( free epub editor) no need to go back to rtf.

OTOH, calibre will remember how it converted the book last time, so a reconvert should be just like before.
That's what I hope Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
GeePee

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You can use the Edit Metadata dialog to replace (or add/delete) the formats associated with a book entry. Rerunning a conversion will then overwrite the output file.
I don't think that was what I had in mind. I'm hoping NOT to have to re-do all the metadata associated with the original conversion, just overwrite the existing converted file with the one with the new pictures in it. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
I would expect that jpg is now the commonest format with png the next most common.
Thanks. I think I will just use the existing files from my Pictures folder which are all jpg. Thanks
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I don't think that was what I had in mind. I'm hoping NOT to have to re-do all the metadata associated with the original conversion, just overwrite the existing converted file with the one with the new pictures in it. Thanks anyway.
I was not suggesting you CHANGE the metadata. I was just pointing that out that the Edit Metadata dialog is ALSO the place where you add or remove ebook files from a book entry. This is by no means obvious if you do not already know this.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
GeePee

Oh! Thanks. Misunderstood. You are right, nothing is particularly obvious about Calibre. I have spent hours investigating it and am nearly to the point of understanding it. Forums like this have been a big help.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

I have thought for a while that the Edit Metadata dialog should be renamed to something like Edit Book Details as it covers more than the metadata. A small change lke that might make people look more closely at the dialog to see what it does.

However it is always a little tricky to make that sort of change without upsetting existing users.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I have thought for a while that the Edit Metadata dialog should be renamed to something like Edit Book Details as it covers more than the metadata. A small change lke that might make people look more closely at the dialog to see what it does.

However it is always a little tricky to make that sort of change without upsetting existing users.
+1 for the name change

it allows you e.g. to change cover, and calibre does not treat cover as being part of metadata
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard

Even more dramtic than changing the cover it allows you to add and remove book formats. That is definitely not metadata!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Even more dramtic than changing the cover it allows you to add and remove book formats. That is definitely not metadata!
IMO the set of formats available for a particular logical book is very definitely metadata about that book.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

Maybe so, but I strongly suspect that most people would not consider adding a book format to a logical book just to be an alteration in the metadata

Since Calibre does not treat a cover as metadata in some ways, it does seem a bit strange to consider a a whole ebook file as purely metadata.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Maybe so, but I strongly suspect that most people would not consider adding a book format to a logical book just to be an alteration in the metadata
Well I really doubt that changing the name to edit book details will make it any more obvious. A book format is no more naturally a "detail" than it is "metadata".
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well I really doubt that changing the name to edit book details will make it any more obvious. A book format is no more naturally a "detail" than it is "metadata".
Leave it be. .
This is details about the book.

IMHO "book details" would be "about", per Format, of the book.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I like getting new users to think about the term metadata. For most of them this is new and searching on that term will get them more generic answers/information in Google then searching for book details. For this not very good reason I vote for it to remain as it is.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote