Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #61
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
What is a serious reader? I see this phrase thrown around too much. Die-hard physical book lovers consider themselves serious readers and turn their nose up at electronic books. Owners of NOOKS, NOOKcolors and other eReaders are viewed as non-serious readers. Enough already.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #62
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't call it a toy, but I work for BN and I and everyone I know recommend the original nook for reading. We're honest. The Color, like the iPad, IS basically a toy (though we'd never use those terms, I usually describe it as a multimedia device if you want to do basic computing and read once and a while. For die-hard readers I always recommend the original nook if my opinion is asked.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #63
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromHC View Post
The rep gave an opinion which was not necessarily honest.
Is a computer a toy because games and other stuff can be played on it?
Serious work can be done a computer. Serious work cannot be done on a Color. It's "just" a gadget, a grown up word for toy.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #64
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
I don't call it a toy, but I work for BN and I and everyone I know recommend the original nook for reading. We're honest. The Color, like the iPad, IS basically a toy (though we'd never use those terms, I usually describe it as a multimedia device if you want to do basic computing and read once and a while. For die-hard readers I always recommend the original nook if my opinion is asked.
If you're so honest, why not recommend rooting the NOOKcolor which would give access to the Kindle app which is what many people want anyway, right? We know that there are more than a handful of ebooks only available through Amazon. As a serious reader, one is bound to encounter such a scenario.

Enough with the professed piety.

Last edited by SCION; 12-11-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #65
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Define older people.

The lady in your avatar.

[zing!]
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #66
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
The lady in your avatar.

[zing!]
*bust out laughing!!!*

Silly!

My birthday was a few days ago. Add another tic mark to life.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #67
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
The latter is pretty derogatory, especially if the word "just" was used as the OP said.
It was.

Quote:
Saying something is "just a toy" says it has little value beyond fluff and unimportant features.
I agree that that is what she wanted to express. BUT, remember that the question was asked in reference to someone who reads a lot. She may have denigrated the classic nook if the question had been asked of a casual reader.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #68
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If you're so honest, why not recommend rooting the NOOKcolor
I doubt most of the general public is capable of doing that.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #69
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I doubt most of the general public is capable of doing that.
Why not let customers decide for themselves? Wouldn't they appreciate the candor and non-corporate spiel, as many indicated here they welcome? Are there limitations to when honesty is invoked?

Last edited by SCION; 12-11-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #70
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
For die-hard readers I always recommend the original nook if my opinion is asked.
What do you recommend for people who read books and magazines?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #71
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Serious work can be done a computer. Serious work cannot be done on a Color. It's "just" a gadget, a grown up word for toy.
Quote:
Then she pointed to the Nook color still in my hands. "That's just a toy. It's got web browsing and games and stuff".
The original quote is listed above.
Additional features seem to be the reason it was called a toy.

By that definition perhaps the IBM 1620 which was the first computer I worked with was not a toy, but the nook allows for "serious work" (whatever that means) that the 1620 could never do.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #72
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
What do you recommend for people who read books and magazines?
An e-ink device and the magazine aisle of the local Walgreens/CVS/B&N.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #73
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
As a 60 year-old tech who's had cataract surgery and now sports artificial lens implants, I can say that even though you're entitled to your opinion, you're wrong. And both my Nook and Nook Color agree with me.
I don't think that there should be any implied stigma to admitting that ereaders are attractive to older readers due to eyesight problems related to age, or other health issues. And not all lens-replacement surgery results in vision that allows extended reading on LCD screens without eye tiredness (speaking from my own experience with prednisone-induced cataracts in both eyes, lens replacement surgery and subsequent retinal detachment ).
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #74
traponk
traponk began at the beginning.

Device: rooted e-ink Nook
The employee gave the appropriate answer for which device is best for someone who reads alot, since the e-ink screen is a lot nicer to look at. I wouln'dt call the Nook Color a toy, but if I had one I would certainly be more likely to get distracted by all the extra bells & whistles.

They weren't right about pdf's in my opinion. The original Nook does not do pdf's all that well--it's good enough but I wouldn't say it handles them "well" or "fine", and they don't support any Office files, not even basic .txt.
traponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #75
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I don't know why I feel compelled to defend the rep when she isn't even on this board, but ...

1) I'm not sure what management expects out of a minimum wage employee. However, I doubt they give them on-the-job time to rehearse and fully polish their sales message. And, for minimum wage, I hope the employees don't feel obligated to spend personal time pre-planning spiels. [I'm sure some of you here are/were very diligent minimum wage workers, but I don't think we can count on it.]

2) In regard to the rehearsal/pre-planning discussed above, if I spend several hours on the sales floor providing adlib responses, I have no doubt that some of my responses would be less than perfect. It would take a lot of work and coaching to achieve the necessary level of 'expertise'.

3) The important point is that the answer was a natural off-the-cuff response. I'm sure anyone could provide a better answer if we give them a minute to think about it -- including the original service rep.

4) And what is the right answer anyway? From the comments above I can see that some of us have different opinions.

Rather than dissect her exact response, I am more interested in learning something about the subject myself. For you NC owners, why do you find it superior? For the way that I use my book reader, I do think an e-ink device would be better, but perhaps its because I don't understand the strengths of the NC.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes & noble, nook, nook color, toy