Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
1.7.1 Patch Released

See here:

http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/

It is meant to stop the freezes when switching between tabs.
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
jjgonche
jjgonche began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Thanks for the infomation curbarthedog.

What a pity that they didn't fix the battery driver problem!

I suppose they are really busy with their new crap-thing ... sorry, I mean new DR800SG.

How selfish am I! Just thinking only on the already sold DR1000S users when a new device is as near as the new delay announced by iRex, late November now, isn't it?

Blimey! Now I know how iLiad users felt the moment the DR1000S hit the market, absolutely abandoned.
jjgonche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgonche View Post
What a pity that they didn't fix the battery driver problem!
FYI, iRex doesn't write the battery driver. They can't fix it until their battery supplier releases a patch.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
FYI, iRex doesn't write the battery driver. They can't fix it until their battery supplier releases a patch.
Ok, what is your source on this? I've never seen a battery for sale that came with a driver disk. *Maybe* the driver for the power management chip needs fixing from the vendor if it's closed source.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Ok, what is your source on this? I've never seen a battery for sale that came with a driver disk. *Maybe* the driver for the power management chip needs fixing from the vendor if it's closed source.
Yes, there is a driver for the charging IC that reports back the power levels to the rest of the firmware. That driver comes from their third party battery supplier, who I assume they get both the battery itself and the IC from.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
jjgonche

Quote:
It's easier, why don't they reuse the driver implemented on firmware 1.6? I can use my device for a whole week without recharging, 6 to 8 hours of use, with firm 1.6.

Anyway in build 1.7 release note iRex didn't mention any improvement on power management so, why did they change this f****g driver?

I know you don't have the answer for all these stupid questions, Shaggy, but I hope iRex guys read this forum and they will try to do things better in the near future but seeing the new delay on DR800SG release ...

Last edited by jjgonche; 11-05-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard

We're assuming that the problem you saw with 1.7 was related to the battery driver, which it may not be. Have you tried 1.7.1 yet?

For all I know, the driver didn't change. I'm just guessing it did based on the behavior when you switched back to 1.6. You won't be able to tell from the release notes. Even when I know they changed it, I don't think it was ever mentioned in the release notes. 1.7 does mention "various small bug fixes" in the release notes. Not sure what that really means, I don't think we've ever seen a detailed list of them.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I have been running with the 1.7.1 update for a few days now and I have to say, it all appears to work very well!

Not sure about the battery issue, I have to say I have always been disappointed with the battery life but the tabs now make the device very usable.

It is also encouraging that iRex issued a "patch" for an existing major issue. Perhaps they are starting to learn. Adding new features is great, but they need to make sure that patches follow bugs quickly else they will lose their clients to competitors.

Lets hope the next full firmware release fixes the battery life once and for all (before my battery packs up once and for all).
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
jjgonche

Quote:
We're assuming that the problem you saw with 1.7 was related to the battery driver, which it may not be. Have you tried 1.7.1 yet?
No, I haven't installed the new version yet but, honestly, I don't know if I want do it.

I am really happy with version 1.6. Version 1.7 adds menus in several languages, Spanish among them, and I installed it specially for my girlfriend. Tabs turned out to be a fiasco as you can not disable them so, if you are not going to work with many documents at a time, it's a waste of width.

If I have spare time during next weekend, I will try firmware 1.7.1 and I'll report to you my experiences with it.

And again, I wish to thank all of you. Without your good advices and suggestions I think I would thrown my DR1000S through the window long time ago .
Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Pagnol
Pagnol began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000S
There is still a very annoying bug: When looking up words in a mobipocket dictionary through the built-in lookup function, the device closes the document saying an error had occurred or needs an awful lot of time. In the worst case I have to reset the device. Due to this problem, the lookup-up function is completely worthless.

But I've abandoned hope that iRex will solve this issue.
Pagnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagnol View Post
There is still a very annoying bug: When looking up words in a mobipocket dictionary through the built-in lookup function, the device closes the document saying an error had occurred or needs an awful lot of time. In the worst case I have to reset the device. Due to this problem, the lookup-up function is completely worthless.

But I've abandoned hope that iRex will solve this issue.
It has never happened to me. Does anyone else experiece such a bug?
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
that doesn't sound like a DR1000 bug. It's more likely to be a mobipocket book that contains unsupported formatting. Does this dictionary function properly when you only open the dictionary?

Which dictionary is it?
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
that doesn't sound like a DR1000 bug. It's more likely to be a mobipocket book that contains unsupported formatting. Does this dictionary function properly when you only open the dictionary?
Or did the dictionary get corrupted?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
Pagnol
Pagnol began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000S
Thank you for the replies. It is not as bad as I described it, however very often it does not work. The dictionary (I tried several) is not corrupted, just looking up usually works fine. I have not yet figured out what factors influence whether it works or not. Maybe I will make a video of the malfunction. The device seems mainly to have struggles handling the switching between document and dictionary.

Among others it's this dictionary: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...?BookID=127312
Pagnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #15
dixon
dixon doesn't litterdixon doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
It has never happened to me. Does anyone else experiece such a bug?
It happens to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagnol View Post
That is exactly the same dictionary I have.

Last edited by dixon; 11-09-2009 at 01:10 AM.
dixon is offline   Reply With Quote