Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Sleep mode

I have just learned how to put my paperwhite in sleep mode. How is putting it in sleep better than turning it off?

I don't think sleep mode is any faster then turning it off, the only difference being the ads are displayed when the unit is off vs sleep mode shows a blank screen.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It's not better (or worse) because you aren't really turning your Kindle off. You only ever put it into sleep mode, either with a screensaver showing (or ads on a Kindle with special offers) or with a blank screen. Both are still just sleep modes, which is why your Kindle wakes up from both in equally quick time.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Mine does not appear to be any faster comming out of sleep mode then comming from off. I guess when you put the sleep mode together with the sleep cover it becomes a faster and easier way to turn om my paperwhite. Is there anything like a sleep pouch, the covers seem to hurt my hand from the extra weight of the cover, thus I use a pouch instead
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
When the Kindle is in sleep mode, it can still index books in the background. If wi-fi is on, it can check for new subscription deliveries, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is categorically impossible to turn off your Kindle. The most you can do is reboot it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
No, it isn't.
You just need to find a way how to enter /sbin/poweroff command.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Mine does not appear to be any faster comming out of sleep mode then comming from off.
You clearly didn't understand my post, there is no off mode on the Kindle, you are either putting it into sleep mode with the screensaver/ads displaying, or putting it into sleep mode with the screen showing a blank display. Neither of them actually switches your Kindle off, which is why there is no difference in the speed of your Kindle waking up from either mode.

I think as susan_cassidy posted, it's correct that the sleep mode with the screen display off/blank will also disable the wifi, so the battery might last a little longer between charges, but it makes no difference to the amount of time it takes your Kindle to come back on from its sleep mode.

Using the sleep cover with your Kindle just changes the way you put it into sleep mode, instead of pressing the button at the bottom of your Kindle, you just close the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
No, it isn't.
You just need to find a way how to enter /sbin/poweroff command.
I presume that if you normally have wifi off, and use the sleep mode with screen blank option, there isn't really anything to gain by being able to properly switch it off anyway?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 04-29-2014 at 05:38 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was unaware that screen blank = not in sleep mode.
Sources, please?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
eschwartz is right, what is often (mistakenly) interpreted as "turned off" is just a sleep state with blank screen. The device is not actually turned off.

When you turn the device off with /sbin/poweroff, it has zero power consumption and the battery will last months (every battery loses some power even when not used at all, albeit Li-ion batteries have a slow auto-discharge rate).
When Kindle is in sleep mode (=suspend to RAM), some circuits are still on power and it can also wake up to perform regular checks, thus the battery will not last as long as when turned off completely.
That's why they ship Kindles powered off.

Last edited by dsmid; 04-29-2014 at 09:47 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

So:

You can turn off the kindle without it rebooting if you have jailbroken and run
Code:
poweroff
in kterm (KUAL extension). I just tried it. It displays the "Please wait a minute while your Kindle restarts" message, but doesn't turn back on like it normally does. Thanks dsmid for the info.
This can be bundled into a KUAL extension easily, if it hasn't been already.

Just curious what does the kindle execute when Menu ==> Settings ==> Menu ==> Restart is used? Or when the hardware button is pressed.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
When you turn the device off with /sbin/poweroff, it has zero power consumption
If that is true, then how does it monitor the power button? It is not old good on/off switch, but merely an impulse to do something.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
If that is true, then how does it monitor the power button? It is not old good on/off switch, but merely an impulse to do something.
I'm not going to claim to be an expert on Kindles -- I didn't even know you couldn't turn them all the way off -- but the switch doesn't always have to be monitored, as it's also a mechanical switch. Computers and cell phones are the same. If I hit my power button on cell phone, the screen goes blank. Hit the power button again and it comes right back on. If I hold down the switch, I'll get a menu that let's me power it off. At that point it turns off completely. There is no monitoring going on -- it's completely off. Hit the power on button again, and it starts a 2 minute (or so) power-on sequence. The switch is dual purpose -- it can take the cell phone out of sleep mode (where the switch would be "monitored") or it can be mechanical switch and turn the cell phone on from a completely off state -- kind of like a light switch.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-29-2014 at 05:04 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's why they ship Kindles powered off.
Are you unable to turn any Kindle off (without rooting)? My Nooks (and Sony) definitely have an advantage here, then.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Redundant Post -- I don't know how to delete it, so I can only edit it.
click the "report post" button and ask for it to be deleted
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
click the "report post" button and ask for it to be deleted
Done. Thanks.