Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2021, 03:49 AM   #1
jcc5588
jcc5588 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle Not Recognized by Calibre on MAC Big Sur

Hello. I recently bought a brand new MacBook Pro (Big Sur OS). I downloaded the latest Calibre and transferred all of my books onto it. However, whenever I plug in my Kindle 7 (9th Gen), Calibre doesn't recognize it. Meanwhile, my old MacBook Pro and Calibre still do recognize my Kindle.

I've restarted my Kindle, Mac, and Calibre but it doesn't work. I've also gone into my Kindle preferences and made sure the USB preferences say "File Transfer". I've gone into the Calibre preferences and clicked "Debug Device Detection" in the Misc. tab. It said no device was attached.

I noticed that whenever I plug my Kindle into my old Mac, Calibre will pop up a notification that says I have to change the USB preferences on my Kindle to transfer files. Calibre on my new Mac doesn't have that notification.

Is it possible that the thunderbolt adapter and Kindle wire aren't working together? Or is it the new Mac or the new Calibre that's having problems?

Thank you.
jcc5588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ted-by-calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2021, 05:06 AM   #3
jcc5588

I tried everything in that link and nothing worked. I debugged the device detection, checked the "ignore device" tab, checked all the security and system preferences on my Mac, restarted the kindle and calibre, and made sure the USB preferences on the Kindle are on "File Transfer". Clicking on "Content Server" didn't connect either. Is there any other way? Thank you.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:29 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc5588 View Post
I tried everything in that link and nothing worked. I debugged the device detection, checked the "ignore device" tab, checked all the security and system preferences on my Mac, restarted the kindle and calibre, and made sure the USB preferences on the Kindle are on "File Transfer". Clicking on "Content Server" didn't connect either. Is there any other way? Thank you.
One suggestion is to get a USB 2 hub and plug your Kindle into that. It could be that your Kindle is not compatible with the new USB setup on the M1 Mackbook Pro.

The thinking is is that Apple is pushing the bleeding edge for USB and not everything works with it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #5
jcc5588

Thanks, JSWolf. I am currently using an adapter that I got from Apple to connect my Kindle to the Mac. Are USB 2's supposed to be better than the Mac thunderbolt adapter?
Advert
Old 01-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, JSWolf. I am currently using an adapter that I got from Apple to connect my Kindle to the Mac. Are USB 2's supposed to be better than the Mac thunderbolt adapter?
The USB 2 adapter allows the Reader to work with a form of USB that it's compatible with. Apple's bleeding edge can be too bleeding.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
jcc5588

Great. I just ordered one. Thank you so much, JSWolf.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:27 AM   #8
anniebo
anniebo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Hello. I recently bought a brand new MacBook Pro (Big Sur OS). I downloaded the latest Calibre and transferred all of my books onto it. However, whenever I plug in my Kindle 7 (9th Gen), Calibre doesn't recognize it. Meanwhile, my old MacBook Pro and Calibre still do recognize my Kindle.

I've restarted my Kindle, Mac, and Calibre but it doesn't work. I've also gone into my Kindle preferences and made sure the USB preferences say "File Transfer". I've gone into the Calibre preferences and clicked "Debug Device Detection" in the Misc. tab. It said no device was attached.

I noticed that whenever I plug my Kindle into my old Mac, Calibre will pop up a notification that says I have to change the USB preferences on my Kindle to transfer files. Calibre on my new Mac doesn't have that notification.

Is it possible that the thunderbolt adapter and Kindle wire aren't working together? Or is it the new Mac or the new Calibre that's having problems?

Thank you.
I am having the exact same issue, but I do not believe that it is an issue with the thunderbolt adapter as I can see the Kindle in finder. Which makes me think that there is no issue with the adaptor as it would not be seen in finder.
anniebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:37 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Great. I just ordered one. Thank you so much, JSWolf.
If you've received your USB2 hub, is your Kindle working with it?
Old 03-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #10
jcc5588

The new wire didn't work. Nothing has worked. I've even downloaded the latest calibre library. My MacBook Pro and Calibre STILL do not recognize my Kindle. The calibre, version 3, on my old MacBook does recognize my Kindle. But Calibre 5.12 and my new MacBook Pro (BigSur) don't recognize my Kindle.

HELP!
Old 03-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #11
rimmerr
rimmerr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PCR-650
Your problem is with Big Sur. Your device(s) are actually external hard drives, which Big Sur handles in a more secure way. Go into System Preferences on your Mac==> Security & Privacy ==> Privacy ==> Full Disk Access. Select the "+", and browse to Calibre in the Applications fold. Select Calibre, and make sure that there is a check mark beside Calibre in the scrolling window. Close the window.
rimmerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:59 PM   #12
Jcen
Jcen began at the beginning.

Kindle doesn't show up in Calibre on iMac with Big Sur

Thanks for the settings advice...I did as you suggest but still no love. Any other ideas of why a kindle wouldn't be recognized in this situation? It worked under previous incarnations of Mac OS prior to this upgrade, so I am pretty sure you are correct that it is something about Big Sur. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerr View Post
Your problem is with Big Sur. Your device(s) are actually external hard drives, which Big Sur handles in a more secure way. Go into System Preferences on your Mac==> Security & Privacy ==> Privacy ==> Full Disk Access. Select the "+", and browse to Calibre in the Applications fold. Select Calibre, and make sure that there is a check mark beside Calibre in the scrolling window. Close the window.
Jcen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #13
DJKapp1921
DJKapp1921 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I had the same issue as was able to resolve by restarting my Mac while my Kindle was plugged in. During the restart, the Kindle switched to USB mode and I was able to transfer books. My kindle now goes to USB mode upon connection. No restart required.

Last edited by DJKapp1921; 06-13-2021 at 07:12 PM.
DJKapp1921 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle, mac, macbook, macbook pro