Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-10-2022, 06:19 PM   #1
Cabrichou
Cabrichou began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
New Kobo Clara 2e and old windows 7 Calibre version

Hi

I have the new Kobo Clara 2e, but I have an old computer that can only run Windows 7, and Calibre 4.23

My device is not detected by Calibre, but is well detected in Windows 7 explorer.

How can I add the missing driver in Calibre 4.23 in order to detect my device?

Thank you for your help

debug device detection:

Code:
calibre 4.23 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: fr
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Kobo Utilities (2, 16, 6)
USB devices on system:
(USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b34&rev0005 devinst=2552),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b3c&rev0005 devinst=2612),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x408 product_id=0x3b2 bcd=0x103 devid=usb\vid_0408&pid_03b2&rev_0103 devinst=2672),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x408 product_id=0x3b2 bcd=0x103 devid=usb\vid_0408&pid_03b2&rev_0103&mi_00 devinst=2752),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x46d product_id=0xc52b bcd=0x1201 devid=usb\vid_046d&pid_c52b&rev_1201 devinst=2848),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x46d product_id=0xc52b bcd=0x1201 devid=usb\vid_046d&pid_c52b&rev_1201&mi_00 devinst=2928),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x46d product_id=0xc52b bcd=0x1201 devid=usb\vid_046d&pid_c52b&rev_1201&mi_01 devinst=3024),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x46d product_id=0xc52b bcd=0x1201 devid=usb\vid_046d&pid_c52b&rev_1201&mi_02 devinst=3120),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x5a4 product_id=0x9840 bcd=0x110 devid=usb\vid_05a4&pid_9840&rev_0110 devinst=3216),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=None product_id=None bcd=None devid=usb\vid_138a&pid_0005&rev_0<90 devinst=3296),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x148f product_id=0x1000 bcd=0x5276 devid=usb\vid_148f&pid_1000&rev_5276 devinst=3372),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x2237 product_id=0x4235 bcd=0x401 devid=usb\vid_2237&pid_4235&rev_0401 devinst=3452),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x8087 product_id=0x20 bcd=0x0 devid=usb\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000 devinst=3528),
 USBDevice(vendor_id=0x8087 product_id=0x20 bcd=0x0 devid=usb\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000 devinst=3608))

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
List of WPD PNP ids:
[u'\\\\?\\wpdbusenumroot#umb#2&37c186b&0&storage#volume#_??_usbstor#disk&ven_linux&prod_file-stor_gadget&rev_0401#n50628c022138&0##{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}']
No suitable MTP devices found

Looking for devices of type: SMART_DEVICE_APP
All IP addresses {u'{4C36B0EB-945E-4989-A8F9-EB317C854714}': [{'addr': u'192.168.1.13', 'netmask': u'255.255.255.0', 'broadcast': u'192.168.1.255'}], u'{D8761477-3F1C-4B45-952E-362D0A716789}': [{'addr': u'192.168.1.16', 'netmask': u'255.255.255.0', 'broadcast': u'192.168.1.255'}], u'{846EE342-7039-11DE-9D20-806E6F6E6963}': [{'addr': u'127.0.0.1', 'netmask': u'255.0.0.0', 'broadcast': u'127.255.255.255'}]}
No device is connected

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None
Cabrichou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I, too, would very much like to be able to use my lovely Kobo Clara 2E with Calibre 4.23 and/or Calibre 5.44. Could some kind soul please help Cabrichou and me out? Many thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:44 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-connect-to-it
Quote:
In addition to the Connect to folder function found under the Connect/share button, calibre provides a User defined device plugin that can be used to connect to any USB device that shows up as a disk drive in your operating system. Note: on Windows, the device must have a drive letter for calibre to use it. See the device plugin Preferences -> Plugins ->
Device plugins -> User defined and Preferences -> Miscellaneous -> Get
information to setup the user defined device for more information. Note that if you are using the user defined plugin for a device normally detected by a builtin calibre plugin, you must disable the builtin plugin first, so that your user defined plugin is used instead.
You will have to disable the Kobo plugin.

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I, too, would very much like to be able to use my lovely Kobo Clara 2E with Calibre 4.23 and/or Calibre 5.44. Could some kind soul please help Cabrichou and me out? Many thanks!
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution (IMHO) is to find the old version Kobo driver that was modified to add in the newer Kobo (newer back then) and add in the ID for the 2e.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
mongorhead
mongorhead began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara 2e
hi all

i´ve been following this and i am in the same situation as the previous users.
after had my clara hd stolen... i got clara 2e, but im "stuck" to an old mac running mojave, to which calibre 5.44 is the last option available right now.

1 - i am able to connect clara 2e using the calibre help/faq solution pointed out by GBM... but its not the same thing... (is it??)

2 - kepubify v04 via terminal works great, no issues... but it does takes some extra steps/time (by time i´m not mention the speed of the process > but stepping out of calibre pipeline).. but its the solution that works and the one that i have adopt for now…

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The solution (IMHO) is to find the old version Kobo driver that was modified to add in the newer Kobo (newer back then) and add in the ID for the 2e.
3 - following @JSWolf last post, i think i found the old version you mentioned (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=12).
i edit it accordingly to the new specifications of clara 2e and Calibre detects Clara 2e and kobo utilities works.

The down side is the upload to device. It “forces” the creation (kepub output, i guess) of an extra file in calibre - kepub - for every master/original file in the library (as the original is epub).
Making it redundant, since kobo touch extend would make it on transfer, making it cleaner and unintrusive (as for double files/ double space now > epub+kepub).
but at least it recognizes clara 2e.

the only solution as i tested it just now is: kepubify + kobo utilities for any other maintenance (????)

Or am I just doing everything wrong???

Anyway I leave here the KoboTouch348, made by david forrester, modified with Clara 2e id and other stuff related to driver.py to work. + images

plz feel free to change it, improve it and/or just erase it (from the post) if you think I made a total mess (im not a coder, just trying to sort this major update (old calibre new kobo nightmare) out.

ty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2022-11-17-at-22.54.22.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	197839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2022-11-17-at-22.45.52.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	197840  
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboTouch348_CLARA2E_MODIFIED.zip (1.8 KB, 126 views)
mongorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #6
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you so much, Mongorhead, for doing this modification! It's working just fine on my Windows 7 32-bit system with calibre 4.23.

(And thank you, JSWolf, for putting us on the right path.)

Mongorhead, you're right that a .kepub file is produced and saved on your hard drive. I just clear them out periodically by entering this in the "Virtual Library" line at the top of the Ccalibre screen:

Code:
format:kepub
Then used Ctrl-A to "Select All," and then right-click and choose "Remove books," and then "Remove files of a specific format from selected books," and then choose kepub.

All best wishes — and thanks again!
Old 11-18-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could the KePub problem be that KePub is the top format in the list of acceptable formats in Calibre for the 2e?
Old 11-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do think this modified driver for Calibre 4.23 should also be posted in the Kobo forum.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:38 PM   #9
RobertJSawyer
Guru

JSWolf: done!
Old 11-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
JSWolf: done!
I saw your post. Well done!

Is there any way for someone who knows what to do to update the KoboTouchExtended driver?
Old 11-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
mongorhead
mongorhead began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara 2e
ty RobertJSawyer and JSWolf for the support : ))

+

JSWolf:

i´ve read your post about the kepub. and it made me think and search the forum, and guess what? i found an interesting post from david f. which addresses your very last post.
here, see what he says regarding KTE and the "then new KoboTouch348" that i´ve modified now:

post #31 in particular
- full thread for context

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The released version of the KoboTouchExtended driver will not work with calibre before v5. It uses features of Python 3 and calibre that are not in the older version. You can get older versions of the driver and related plugins from https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver/releases. Version 3.2.15 should work with calibre 3.48.

There are two choices of what you can do.

The first is to use the version of the KoboTouch plugin linked by @PeterT above, named KoboTouch348. This will allow calibre to manage the Libra 2. Then, use the 3.2.15 version of the Kepub Output plugin and convert the books to kepub before sending them to the device.
as a side note, this is what we have achieved now regarding clara 2e.
but he continues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The alternative is to edit the version of KoboTouchExtended driver work with the Libra 2.
That means changing it to inherit from the KoboTouch348 driver.
Or adding the device lines in that driver to the KoboTouchExtended driver.

i´ve tried to achieve this 2 options during the afternoon, but the fact is that i dont know a bit of python and im completely lost and all the efforts resulted as nothing happening at all but the normal use of KTmodified and KTE not working at all.
its beyond my knowledge.

but the solution is there! david pointed us towards it. : ))

- - -

a completely different approach:

I guess it would much simpler to edit calibre > devices > kobo > driver.py and add the Clara e2 id and other info related to the device, so it could be recognised natively (without any modifications of the files presented here... yes???)
because the info exists and its made and working under v.6plus of calibre.
as shown here:

calibre 6, kobo clara 2e driver.py is there, and it was from here where i got the id and info to established the modifications in KT348.

but I searched and searched, within calibre app package/contents, and other related folders and files made by calibre on install on my mac.
but I just can't find where this particular file is located... any clue?

all the best.
mongorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:46 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to run calibre from source the way to do it is in the manual https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre 4.23, driver, kobo clara 2e, mac, windows 7