Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #61
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
since I did not re-read the entire thread - the PW can't be reversed - white letters on a black background?
Stock PW does not have option for white text on black. Maybe someone wants to write a hack for that? Doubt it would be useful though. If you deprive yourself from sleep, because you read when you should be seleping, then no amount of better light is going to cure that.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #62
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Let me add my anecdotal evidence to this.

I decided to return my UK launch day paperwhite to Waterstones due to the screensaver debacle, and bought a new PW direct from amazon.

Being a canny chap, I bought the new PW from Amazon before returning the other so I could compare.

The difference is night and day. While my old PW had a yellowish tinge and bands of pink and green, the new one is almost blemish free. Pure white rather than yellowish, and an almost completely regular background with hardly noticeable blobs!

I strongly recommend that those of you battling on with blotchy first-batch PWs return them. I may have been lucky, but my experience shows that good PWs are out there...
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #63
alexjj
alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexjj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've just received a new PW that I ordered this week from Amazon.

The quality is very good. No discolouration at all. The unevenness at the bottom can still be seen if you set the backlight to maximum in a dark room - although still doesn't affect reading - but it's way too bright to read comfortably. Setting it at an appropriate brightness makes the unevenness go away/be unnoticeable.

I have no complaints with mine and based upon what I got would recommend anyone who is holding off on buying to order now.
alexjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #64
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
New batch improved?

OH MY GOD. After going through three progressively worse replacements, I had given up on getting a good PW. However, I received another one today that I bought as a gift to someone, and boy, what a difference! The new one looks very sharp and actually resembles a printed page, whereas the old one looks pinkish and electronic. My eyes literally hurt and water a bit when I try reading on my old PW after doing some reading on the new one. The replacement battle goes on!
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #65
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
I just accidentally posted the whole of the message above to Kindle support chat! Including the last sentence. hahah. Let's just hope the replacement is as good as this one!

I really can't believe how much better the new one is. And to think that my old one is the best that I kept out of the three that I tried!

Last edited by mngharry; 12-14-2012 at 09:29 PM.
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #66
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngharry View Post
OH MY GOD. After going through three progressively worse replacements, I had given up on getting a good PW. However, I received another one today that I bought as a gift to someone, and boy, what a difference! The new one looks very sharp and actually resembles a printed page, whereas the old one looks pinkish and electronic. My eyes literally hurt and water a bit when I try reading on my old PW after doing some reading on the new one. The replacement battle goes on!
I have heard that twice before on this forum, and now feel completely cheated, because I setteld for one pink overall, one with a hole in the screen and almost no colors and one very very faintly colored. I can't say that any of them are perfect.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #67
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 or Sony PRS
I just managed to snag one from waterstones yesterday, (They got a delivery in that day)

here's a pic of it with full light. the only fault i can spot is the slightly darkish shadows at the bottom, is this normal? if so im fine with it (honestly doesn't bother me), but if its not normal, I still would like to know.

hope you guys can let me know.
grechzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #68
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post
I just managed to snag one from waterstones yesterday, (They got a delivery in that day)

here's a pic of it with full light. the only fault i can spot is the slightly darkish shadows at the bottom, is this normal? if so im fine with it (honestly doesn't bother me), but if its not normal, I still would like to know.

Yes that one looks good. Do NOT let anyone talk you into believing that it is bad. If you only think that there is something wrong, then your mind will make it so. The shadows at the bottom cannot be avoided as there is 4 leds, and there has to be a gap between each. As you notice it stops even before the text starts, so nothing to worry about.

If you are happy, that is all that matters.

For anybody else that does not agree with me, read the spoiler. Don't open it though if you think the screen looks good.
Spoiler:
Yes, there is slight a greenish discoloration in the middle, I can see that. I am not (color) blind. Remember this is not your Paperwhite, it is his. Don't nitpick him into believing that it is "the worst ever". The Image quality is not the greatest, it is entirely possible that a bad camera is at fault for it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #69
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 or Sony PRS
hah, damnt hat spoiler.

but yeah, i noticed that in the photo, you notice it a LOT less on the screen itself, the camera seems to accentuate it in the photo.

really im over the moon with it. way better contrast and way easier to read. no eye strain, and i dont have to fiddle with terribly uneven kindle light accessories, not to mention those lights last like a few weeks before dying.

totally worth the money. just wanted to make sure it wasn't worse than average, which i see it is not. so im good

Last edited by grechzoo; 12-15-2012 at 07:24 AM.
grechzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #70
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post

Good thing you like it. I will refrain from telling you what I see on your screen
I apparently have very good color vision.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #71
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
You wanted color eink for years - you got one
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #72
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
My PW arrived from Amazon a couple of days ago. Here is a photo taken with the PW light on fully, shot in artificial light, first photo with no camera flash and second with flash (taken at an angle to avoid seeing flash reflection on the screen). I don't know if it's a good PW or not, but I'm happy with it as I never use the light above setting 3 in bright light and in dim lighting, I use setting 1 or maybe 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0283.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	97735   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0287.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	621.0 KB
ID:	97736  
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #73
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
Colour elink is the future
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #74
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
True!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #75
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I know someone who just received a new one they had on order for awhile and it wasn't an improvement at all. I think it's still the luck of the draw really.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote