Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Now that my mobi problem is solved

I noticed that my library carries way more books is Adobe format (DRM of course) than mobi...

Is there any similar method I can use to read those books on my Kindle? (I tried to quickly search the forums but didn't see anything obvious).

Thanks for you patience with silly posts from a newbie
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I noticed that my library carries way more books is Adobe format (DRM of course) than mobi...

Is there any similar method I can use to read those books on my Kindle? (I tried to quickly search the forums but didn't see anything obvious).

Thanks for you patience with silly posts from a newbie

I found the same thing while browsing my Library here in Phoenix. Mobipocket books are scarce. Wonder why?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There do seem to be more Adobe library ebooks than MOBI. I don't know why, particularly since MOBI is supported on many more kinds of devices.

Unfortunately, Adobe DRM has not been cracked so there is no way to read these ebooks except with Adobe Digital Editions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
My guess is that most library patrons read books on their PCs -- and thus the Adobe format is just fine for them. Us folks using dedicated readers are new folks on the block.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I tried doing that when I first realized I could.....just could not get comfortable, and the eye strain was enormous....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Wonder why?
I actually wrote the contacts for the two library systems I can get ebooks from. The one for my local library has pretty much said they're not buying any more Mobipocket format, since the demand is just so much higher for Adobe.

You do have to wonder if it's a self-fulfilling prophesy, though...I pretty much stopped visiting there, because I can't get Mobipocket. (And they do - very rarely - still get the occasional ebook in Mobipocket). So demand remains high for Adobe, yeah?

The other library system has more Adobe that Mobipocket, but still is purchasing new books in Mobipocket. I try to borrow heavily there just to stress that Mobipocket is a desired format for at least some of its patrons!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
There are programs out there that allow you to open the document in Digital Editions and the program then copies the document page by page and puts it into an unsecured pdf. However, you lose all hyperlinks.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:37 AM   #8
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
There are programs out there that allow you to open the document in Digital Editions and the program then copies the document page by page and puts it into an unsecured pdf. However, you lose all hyperlinks.
Where can I find these programs? My library has tons of Adobe files too, but I can't read them; I need LRF (for my Sony PRS-500) or Mobipocket (for my Windows Mobile phone). I could read the Adobe files on my phone, but there seems to be no support whatsoever for text reflowing and whatnot. It's just horrible.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #9
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Where can I find these programs? My library has tons of Adobe files too, but I can't read them; I need LRF (for my Sony PRS-500) or Mobipocket (for my Windows Mobile phone). I could read the Adobe files on my phone, but there seems to be no support whatsoever for text reflowing and whatnot. It's just horrible.

Could you take advantage of the $100 trade in and get a SONY 505? They can read adobe ebooks from the library. I do that all the time now since the firmware upgrade.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Could you take advantage of the $100 trade in and get a SONY 505? They can read adobe ebooks from the library. I do that all the time now since the firmware upgrade.
Eventually I probably can, but I just lost my job a month ago, so right now I have pretty much nothing to spare. That's why I'm checking ebooks out from the library instead of buying them from Fictionwise or maybe just buying a Kindle so I can take advantage of all those Amazon e-books.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post

*cough* copistar *cough*
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I soooo want to buy copistar (the demo worked GREAT) and I'm ready to pony up the $30 without a second thought.

Their homepage's links all point to the homepage. Some buttons don't work. I got some links through Google (copistar.com/buy.html) that are broken.

Can someone find out how to buy it? I tried the demo and I'm sold.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
chorpler
Zealot

Same here. What's the deal with their site? Have they been forced out of business or something? The demo looks like exactly what I need. It even scrolls horizontally, so I can zoom in to whatever level I want, thus enabling decent OCR.

This is a lot easier than the way I was doing it. Well worth the $30, if I could figure out how to buy it!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Well, I was able to buy it! I first got the Whois registration info for copistar.com and sent an email late last night, so maybe they'll reply. But then I remembered The Wayback Machine, a website that saves webpages for posterity, and found it at archive.org. So by going to what copistar.com/buy.html looked like several months ago, I got to the correct SWREG link bypassing the third party merchant and was able to buy it.

I was all ecstatic until I realized it doesn't work Most of the PDFs I tried didn't even "load" and most of them got through just one page. The three that "finished" were all deficient - one book had the Notes section missing (which was a very interesting section in this case), the other had about 40 pages missing (last few chapters) and the third had most of the pictures missing (and the pictures were half the book).

Sooooo... VERY disappointed. Tried it on both XP and VISTA with the same results.

If they answer I'll reply with these things and maybe they'll fix them with a future version, and hopefully one day I'll get my money's worth! I ended up paying $33.90 because the site selling it has a mandatory $3.85 1-year registration information backup fee.

Here's the direct link to buy it (although I don't recommend the product):

https://usd.swreg.org/cgi-bin/s.cgi?...x=0&lang=&lnk=

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-30-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:47 AM   #15
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Thanks to chorpler who suggested I use Adobe Reader 7.0 instead of the digital editions stand-alone reader (which it seems is flash-based)... it now works PERFECTLY and FLAWLESSLY. I already got my money's worth. It is AWESOME. So hunt the net and get 7.0 and use that instead. The picture book didn't work but it's constructed in a weird way with layers of images so I'm not faulting that on the software. Regular books with images now and then translate perfectly.

If you're having trouble with the link above, try this one:
https://usd.swreg.org/cgi-bin/s.cgi?...v=0&d=0&q=1&t=

Now if anyone knows how to liberate lrf ...

Now I can buy more Adobe-protected ebooks !!

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-31-2008 at 05:46 AM.