Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Le Morte D'Arthur or The Once and Future King?

I was wondering which one I should read first?
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. You really couldn't have picked two more different books. Mallory's "Morte d'Arthur" is an extremely long, and even more extremely turgid (IMHO) 15th century tome, which I have to admit I abandoned after a dozen pages. "The Once and Future King" (which I did manage to get all the way through, although it was a struggle in parts) is a 1950s fantasy novel. About a million times easier to read .

I'll tell you what: I'll be very impressed if you do manage to get all the way through "Le Morte d'Arthur".

Last edited by HarryT; 03-12-2011 at 12:54 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
That's interesting - am I right in thinking I might have sat through a cartoon of "O & F King" about 6 times with my then 4 year-old offspring ?

But I agree about Le Mort d'Arthur - War & Peace without the laughs......... ?

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, there is a cartoon version of "Once and Future King".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

I know that Disney's 'The Sword and the Stone' was adapted from the first part of 'The Once and Future King'.

Last edited by seagull; 03-12-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Definitely The Once and Future King. That is unless you are required to read Le Morte D'Arthur for a class, or wish to for intellectual bragging rights. I read The Once and Future King in about the 7th grad, and once more a couple of years ago and enjoyed it both times. It is certainly the best telling of the 'Camelot' legend out there that is written at an adult level. It was also the main inspiration of the Broadway play and later Hollywood film Camelot.

I am not certain of this, but I do believe that Once and Future King was actually written in multiple parts. Certainly the latter part of the book is more adult reader in nature than is the first.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Well I'm going to recommend Morte d'Arthur and no, I never had to read it for a class and I don't care about bragging rights - it's just something I enjoyed reading
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The Once and Future King is one of my all-time favorite books. It is actually four "books," published in one volume, the first "book" being The Sword in the Stone, which was made into the Disney animated film. The fifth section was published years later as a separate volume, The Book of Merlyn.

It is certainly much more accessible than Le Morte d'Arthur for a modern reader, and is the best retelling of the Camelot legend. You might also consider Mary Stewart's four volumes on the Arthurian saga, beginning with The Crystal Cave, and John Steinbeck's The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights. Steinbeck's version is the only one legitimately available as an e-book in the U.S.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
seagull
Addict

Thanks for the recommendations. I've went ahead and bought 'The Once and Future King' for my Kindle!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
MTAlto
MTAlto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If you're at all familiar with the speech at reenactment events, Le Morte D'Arthur is actually fairly easy to understand. And kind of fun, if you need to practice your speech for such events. I have a friend in another state and we read aloud to one another once a week - we have a few books for fun just with the accents.
MTAlto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go for Le Morte D'Arthur and ignore the naysayers. It was a very good book and well worth reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go for Le Morte D'Arthur and ignore the naysayers. It was a very good book and well worth reading.
Not being a nay-sayer. Certainly it's worth reading. But I would have quickly given up on it if I hadn't fallen in love with T.H. White's version first. The Once and Future King is a beautifully written book, not just some homogenized retelling.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I've went ahead and bought 'The Once and Future King' for my Kindle!
How did you do that? Amazon tells me that there is no Kindle version. B&N also doesn't have the EPUB.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
How did you do that? Amazon tells me that there is no Kindle version. B&N also doesn't have the EPUB.
For whatever stupid reason, it's not available in the United States. Elsewhere.. ??
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Stupid publishers, not acting in their own interests. Amazon is halfway down the second page if you google the title + EPUB. The first page and a half are torrent sites where anyone can get it for free. The harder they make it for people...well, they will get what they deserve.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote