Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #301
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Please remove your apple-tinted glasses, and stop posting false stuff.

LOL where are those tablets now? Do you know a single person who owns one? Have you ever seen one outside of a picture on the Internet?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #302
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
thats not validation
Yes it is.
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #303
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
And how is that relevant? Does the fact that they didn't sell that well mean they never existed and hence the iPad was the very first tablet ever created?
Shift.

No, iPad is a collection of form factor and software that is/was unseen before.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #304
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
And how is that relevant? Does the fact that they didn't sell that well mean they never existed and hence the iPad was the very first tablet ever created?
Nobody's saying (AFAIK) that the iPad was "the first tablet"; it self-evidently was not. It wasn't even the first Apple tablet, if you consider the Newton to have been a tablet. What the iPad was, however, is the first tablet which was commercially successful. Rather than trying to make a tablet which was a poor substitute for a desktop or laptop computer, Apple realised that what their customers actually wanted was "an iPod Touch with a big screen", and that's really what an iPad is.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #305
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
I cant tell from description if that device spins or not.

Says: ' a circular pad with control buttons. It had controls for skipping tracks forwards or backwards, repeat, random play and for four preset equalizer settings. The LCD displayed the track number being played, but did not display artist or title information.'
Oh, yes, the spinning through your content was a nice innovation, but I was just answering the comment about jog dials themselves being innovative for an mp3 player.

Graham
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #306
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
No it was not innovative of them, because we used it in cell phones before the iPod, but we called it a jog dial.
I honestly do not know: so the jog wheel would let you glide your finger over it to navigate? Vs. making physical clicks with wheel?

Even if so, you could still make the argument (though not as strong, I admit) that using this on a dedicated music player was innovative. They did something that was completely different navigation wise when compared to other music players at the time. Again not talking about inventing the technology.

And if you look at the ipod as a whole (even if the individual parts themselves would not be considered innovated). Form factor, interface, navigation, eventual integration with itunes, I think there is an argument for it being innovative - you need to compare against what else was out there at the time.

Last edited by foghat; 09-13-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #307
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Only Apples first generation usually ever is.
Not even that.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #308
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Not even that.
lol

If you say so.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #309
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
We are talking about Innovation, not invention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
in·no·vate
1: to introduce as or as if new
2 archaic : to effect a change in <the dictates of my father were … not to be altered, innovated, or even discussed — Sir Walter Scott>
I'm confused. If they didn't introduce something new, then how are they innovative? Please note that this is in a vacuum, I've not mentioned Android superiority in any of these posts.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #310
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
I honestly do not know: so the jog wheel would let you glide your finger over it to navigate? Vs. making physical clicks with wheel?

Even if so, you could still make the argument (though not as strong, I admit) that using this on a dedicated music player was innovative. They did something that was completely different navigation wise when compared to other music players at the time. Again not talking about inventing the technology.

And if you look at the ipod as a whole (even if the individual parts themselves would not be considered innovated). Form factor, interface, navigation, eventual integration with itunes, I think there is an argument for it being innovative.
I have to go along with you on that, since I do not have any first hand knowledge about how they used it. I just remember using it in one of our cell phone designs, and I was not the originator of that idea either.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #311
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nobody's saying (AFAIK) that the iPad was "the first tablet"; it self-evidently was not. It wasn't even the first Apple tablet, if you consider the Newton to have been a tablet. What the iPad was, however, is the first tablet which was commercially successful. Rather than trying to make a tablet which was a poor substitute for a desktop or laptop computer, Apple realised that what their customers actually wanted was "an iPod Touch with a big screen", and that's really what an iPad is.
holymadness is implying tablets before the ipad were like a toy and looked nothing like the ipad. I debunked that.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #312
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What the iPad was, however, is the first tablet which was commercially successful.

caveat- in the general consumer market. the previous tablet pcs were very successful in the business, goverment and medical markets, while being moderately successful with students/educational institutions. the only thing that held them back from being a hit in the consumer market was the available battery tech of the time
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #313
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
I'm confused. If they didn't introduce something new, then how are they innovative? Please note that this is in a vacuum, I've not mentioned Android superiority in any of these posts.
Okay, I will concede that innovate can = invent, but to innovate does not necessarily mean to invent. As indicated in the "to introduce as or as if new" portion of the definition.

I really always looked at innovation more as wikipedia does:

Quote:
Innovation differs from invention in that innovation refers to the use of a better and, as a result, novel idea or method, whereas invention refers more directly to the creation of the idea or method itself. Innovation differs from improvement in that innovation refers to the notion of doing something different (Lat. innovare: "to change") rather than doing the same thing better.
And I am not claiming that iOS is or is not better than andriod.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #314
foghat
Evangelist

Phew. Finally got caught up. This thread was really hopping for awhile there.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #315
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Okay, I will concede that innovate can = invent, but to innovate does not necessarily mean to invent. As indicated in the "to introduce as or as if new" portion of the definition.
And that's the crux of it. I've already said multiple times that iTunes is quite nice and the first, that I'm aware of, totally integrated sales channel that hit the market.

However, hardware wise, I don't see anything that Apple even changed for the better. They took existing ideas and rolled them into a polished package, which is still just an amalgamation of prior art.
Closed Thread