Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #271
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Now it seems that they do not dare to innovate for fear of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
I think thats...smart...for a business.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #272
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Of course not it was their version of an MP3 and video player.
Again, I am not sure if invent and innovate are getting confused here. The ipod click wheel, if not the form factor, was certainly innovative.

Quote:
In case I was not clear, it was technological innovation that I was referring to. Marketing innovation is not something that I am much of an expert on, so I leave that for others.
You don't really believe that the itunes store is all marketing with no technology in behind the scenes to make it all work do you? Not to mention the gui.

Quote:
The orginal iPhone was yet another candy bar phone with a big screen added. It was inevitable, and they lucked out on the timing by a whole lot. IOS is a derivative of the open source Unix Darwin system, so they improved it, apparently quite a lot, but they did not innovate it.
I admit, sometimes I find it hard to draw the line between an innovation and improvement. Even if I concede your points on an individual basis. Taking this candy bar phone (and completely changing the form factor vs. other candy bar phones) and combining it with a vastly improved unix based OS, and then mashing them all together into something that no one has really seen in a single product before is, I think, being innovative. Bottom line is with the iphone, Apple did something that was very different from other phones at the time.

I chuckled about the timing. Because andriod was well in the works when the original iphone came out. If Steve had released even a year later Andriod based phones would have beat apple to the punch. right.

Quote:
No, they might have been a lot better, but the evolution was inevitable. It was helped along by Apple but it was an evolution that would have happened anyway. I remember wishing for some of the things that eventually came to pass way back in the mid 90s. I was not an innovator then either.
They might have been better, or they may have sucked arse. You weren't the innovator because you weren't the first to make it happen. Doesn't mean your ideas weren't innovative at the time.
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #273
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Holymadness...what about this?

Looks a lot like the Lumia, but it also looks like a stretched version of the 2010 iPod Nano:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i2dD4.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	92302  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-13-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Changed oversized graphic to a thumbnail attachment.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #274
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2 old ipod nano STACKED????

Madness!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #275
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
iPods looked cooler; sounded worse. Apple's brilliant at marketing, and most people don't buy with their ears. And the combination of iTunes and iPod, the beginning of that brilliant ecosystem, was the clincher.

I'm a musician, and my mp3 players were both Creative Zens, but I can see why most people went for iPods.

Graham
I'm pretty sure being the very best in every aspect is not a requirement of being innovative.

Sure there is always going to be a product that does something better than another.
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #276
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I think thats...smart...for a business.
It is. But that does not make them worthy of worship.

They have the largest corporate cash horde in history, and they do absolutely nothing with it to create truly innovative technology. The cash horde just keeps going and growing, with what is in comparison a rather feeble R&D effort.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #277
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Keep bowing to Cupertino every morning.

You are correct that I do not like Apple any longer, I never tried to hide that. They had so much going for them at one time, before they became deluded by their own hype. Now it seems that they do not dare to innovate for fear of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
So much going for them before they became the world's most valuable publicly traded company. So much going for them before they created the world's largest music and app stores. So much going for them before they created the tablet market. So much going for them before they laid down the paradigm for every smartphone now used today.

Why oh why did they lose their way??
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #278
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
It is. But that does not make them worthy of worship.

They have the largest corporate cash horde in history, and they do absolutely nothing with it to create truly innovative technology.
You're shifting the argument.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #279
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I'm pretty sure being the very best in every aspect is not a requirement of being innovative.

Sure there is always going to be a product that does something better than another.
I had to chuckle at your reply here.

I praised Apple five times in my post and praised their competitor once, but you felt compelled to call me out on that one out of six!

Graham
Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #280
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Again, I am not sure if invent and innovate are getting confused here. The ipod click wheel, if not the form factor, was certainly innovative.
No it was not innovative of them, because we used it in cell phones before the iPod, but we called it a jog dial.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #281
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
No it was not innovative of them, because we used it in cell phones before the iPod, but we called it a jog dial.
It was innovative for amp3 player.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #282
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
You're shifting the argument.
Pot Kettle Black ????????????????????
I am just learning from your strategies.

But, I do not think that I am really shifting since my whole point in posting is to express an intense dislike for Apple in it's present incarnation.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #283
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
What a coincidence. Tablets and smartphones have existed forever but somehow, no one saw fit to release any until Apple took the lead. Oh wait, they did:

I don't know about you, but that stuff in the "before" group sure looks like what I see most people using today. Amirite?
Please remove your apple-tinted glasses, and stop posting false stuff.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #284
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Pot Kettle Black ????????????????????
I am just learning from your strategies.
more shift.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #285
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Bottom line, if you like Apple products and iOS, then use 'em. There's room enough for all comers.

Just, please don't repeat Jobs's lies about being the first.
Closed Thread