Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #511
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Thanks a lot Harry! I read a lot of nonfiction with long paragraphs, so I guess I should stick with non-ADE readers, or rather should remain faithful to Kindles.
The Kobo devices actually have to renderers. One is based on ADE and the other on ACCESS. The ACCESS one us used by the Kobo format generally know as "kepub". It is just epub with extra spans to hold ids that are used for reading position and bookmarks. There is a driver for calibre that will convert the books as they are sent to the device. Of the problems mentioned above, only the widows/orphans one exists with the ACCESS renderer. And it can be argued that it is handling this correctly. It is easy to add fix this in the CSS for the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 AM   #512
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
@davidfor: are there differences between normal epubs and Kepubs about this? I mean, I was snapping a few pics and opened 2 books, I noticed that I use 36 and max weight/sharpness with a sideloaded kepub while the same settings for a epub are way too big. (these 2 books are both fanfic dl from the same website - ao3 - so they start with the same settings/fonts I think) [see pics]

@Ansem_93: here I attached some pics

sorry they're rotated, if you open them in a new page by clicking on them 2 times they should be right (at least they are for me)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kepub-36.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	716.6 KB
ID:	108472   Click image for larger version

Name:	kepub-36-settings.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	617.2 KB
ID:	108473   Click image for larger version

Name:	kepub-36-advanced.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	638.9 KB
ID:	108474   Click image for larger version

Name:	kepub-36-with menu.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	706.5 KB
ID:	108475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Epub-36.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	672.1 KB
ID:	108476  
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #513
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
@davidfor: are there differences between normal epubs and Kepubs about this? I mean, I was snapping a few pics and opened 2 books, I noticed that I use 36 and max weight/sharpness with a sideloaded kepub while the same settings for a epub are way too big. (these 2 books are both fanfic dl from the same website - ao3 - so they start with the same settings/fonts I think) [see pics]
Yes, for some reason the epub and kepub renderers use a different base size for the fonts. It's very annoying if you swap between them. The margins are different sizes as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #514
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, for some reason the epub and kepub renderers use a different base size for the fonts. It's very annoying if you swap between them. The margins are different sizes as well.
I have noticed that but just assumed it was a bug in the firmware that they have never got around to fixing. Nice to know they intentionally insert working bugs into the firmware....

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #515
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Oh thanks for confirming that (I thought it was a problem only for me). It IS a bit weird....

Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #516
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I have noticed that but just assumed it was a bug in the firmware that they have never got around to fixing. Nice to know they intentionally insert working bugs into the firmware....
I have no idea if it was deliberate or just a side effect of the two different rendering engines they are using. But, I don't consider it a bug, just an nuisance.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #517
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post

@Ansem_93: here I attached some pics

sorry they're rotated, if you open them in a new page by clicking on them 2 times they should be right (at least they are for me)
thanks a lot at you and all the other (sorry i can't quote everyone )
i think that I'll go for this kobo if my mom will steal my kindle XD
I'll use it only for reading, so i don't need the precision of the kindle for highlight the text or take note (the keyboard it's horrible).
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #518
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
The Aura keyboard is more responsive than the Paperwhite keyboard, IMO. For notes, I'd rather use the Aura (easier to type on). But the sharpness makes manga VERY readable (like paper) - more so than on previous Kobo or Kindle devices at 600x800 or even 568x1024 resolutions.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #519
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

thanks the feedback for the manga are very usefull
only one other thing: there is the possibility to don't have the space between the paragraf? I don't like it, and i prefer the kindle formats for intent the page
Old 07-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #520
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Spaces between paragraphs are purely a feature of the formatting of the individual book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #521
glos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
thanks the feedback for the manga are very usefull
only one other thing: there is the possibility to don't have the space between the paragraf? I don't like it, and i prefer the kindle formats for intent the page
I think you can convert a book on calibre with the right settings and make it exactly like that (no space but indents). I prefer space & no indents, it's less full and so I have the space to pause when reading *purely subjective feeling *
but anyway, it's a couple of clicks away, if you want it.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #522
Ansem_93
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Spaces between paragraphs are purely a feature of the formatting of the individual book.
in a videoreview the author show that it's a setting of the kobo. I don't know if i can link this videoreview
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #523
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
in a videoreview the author show that it's a setting of the kobo. I don't know if i can link this videoreview
It is not a Kobo setting. I have books from Kobo in both styles, some with spaces between paragraphs, and some without.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #524
Ansem_93
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is not a Kobo setting. I have books from Kobo in both styles, some with spaces between paragraphs, and some without.
great kobo aura will be mine thanks a lot again to everyone!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #525
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
great kobo aura will be mine thanks a lot again to everyone!
I'm sure you'll like it!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote