Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #226
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I just discovered a typo in my original post and corrected it (wrong "TrollTech\QTEmbedded-4.6.2-arm", correct "Trolltech\QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm"). Maybe you could correct the typo in your quotation too, in case somebody takes the code from there. Thank you!
Ah... the joys of case sensitivity.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #227
Nodeity
Nodeity began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Page Loop issue

I was having an issue with pages looping back after say, five or six and then keep doing several times until it lets you continue. I read a post elsewhere (can't remember where now) that getting rid of the page borders fixes this. I found you can leave the border setting at the first step ( almost gone) and it works just as well. No more looping. I do think however that this is an issue that needs to be rectified in the next F/W release.
Nodeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #228
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodeity View Post
I was having an issue with pages looping back after say, five or six and then keep doing several times until it lets you continue. I read a post elsewhere (can't remember where now) that getting rid of the page borders fixes this. I found you can leave the border setting at the first step ( almost gone) and it works just as well. No more looping. I do think however that this is an issue that needs to be rectified in the next F/W release.
I have seen that a couple of times. But, it has always been a corrupt book. Fixing the book and putting it on the device again solved the problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #229
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
Lightbulb two tips I've learned

I read "Kindle the new book method" in Japanese. I've learned two things in this book.

1) Manage our books in our PC and just keep the books, which we reading now, in Kobo (kindle).
2) We should check the progress by percentage not page number. Page number is not consistent in epub in general.

Actually these two things avoid trouble in ebooks too.
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #230
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
I'd love to try this on my Aura, but the "numPartialUpdatePageTurns" is not in my Kobo eReader.conf file. I'm running firmware 2.5.1, on the Aura HD.
Here's what I see under the [Reading] section of Kobo eReader.conf:

[Reading]
libraryShowCovers=true
pageTurningOption=option1
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingAlignment=
readingFontFamily=Georgia
readingFontSize=36
readingLeftMargin=4
readingLineHeight=1.4
readingRightMargin=4

Has anyone else had any luck getting this great little trick to work on their Aura running 2.5.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
TRADE slight degradation of type definition for elimination of flash to BLACK and increase battery life ...

The latest firmware updates have reduced ghosting
(this has -slightly- slowed page turn times)

so... as the ghosting is greatly reduced ...

you might want to consider completely STOPPING the screen flashing to BLACK every 1-6 page turns due to the old refresh scheme,

and

- get faster page turns that are
- easier on eyes &
- increase in battery life too

* kobo mainly uses battery to draw new pages *

it takes more power to refresh a page to black and then display the new page than to just "overwrite" old page with new page]

You do this easy-hack by re-setting the refresh variable to 90
as follows:

[Connect kobo to your computer with hidden files displayed]

Navigate to the file:

Kobo eReader.conf (there's a space in the name)

found at

KOBOeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf

* BACKUP the file 1st *

Copy file:

Kobo eReader.conf and rename it to
Kobo eReader.conf.orig

Then make the change in

Kobo eReader.conf

[at ~ 40 lines from the end of the file]

in the [Reading] section ...
change the value of variable

numPartialUpdatePageTurns

from (1-6) to 90

to give result as follows:

numPartialUpdatePageTurns=90

Save file and Exit

Now while reading, enjoy flash free reading and if you notice ghosting (after very MANY page turns) to clean up the type

MANUALLY REFRESH PAGE by ...

1) touch page bottom then
2) touch page middle

Quick and Easy!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #231
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
just add the line yourself, it works fine.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #232
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe try setting it via the settings menu to a value such as 4 or 5 first; this should update the INI file and add the value to it, then edit it yourself to set it to 90.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #233
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I saw this line in that file (readingLineHeight=1.3) and thought maybe it would let you set it lower, I dislike the wide space between lines.

But it didn't work. I changed it to 1.0 and then 1.2 and sadly there was no visible difference at all. I was thrilled for a minute thinking I would be one step closer to optimum settings for myself.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-13-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #234
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
just add the line yourself, it works fine.
I assume you are referring to my post? Does it matter where in the [Reading] section I insert the line?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #235
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Maybe try setting it via the settings menu to a value such as 4 or 5 first; this should update the INI file and add the value to it, then edit it yourself to set it to 90.
Thanks Peter, I currently have it set to 6.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #236
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I saw this line in that file (readingLineHeight=1.3) and thought maybe it would let you set it lower, I dislike the wide space between lines.

But it didn't work. I changed it to 1.0 and then 1.2 and sadly there was no visible difference at all. I was thrilled for a minute thinking I would be one step closer to optimum settings for myself.
I set my line height in Calibre....
Old 05-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #237
beckybug3
Enthusiast
beckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Touch, a dead Kobo Aura HD, and a dead Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodeity View Post
I have that same looping issue whenever I have archived a book and then unarchived it on my Touch. Every book that I have done this too will suddenly get the looping problem. Hopefully Kobo will explore this issue, because my books were NOT corrupt prior to being archived.
beckybug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #238
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I set my line height in Calibre....
I much prefer not setting specifics for line-height, font-type or size in Calibre so that those features can be adjusted on different readers. I'll have to experiment though if my Sony css stylesheets can override the line-height, that's the only way it would work for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #239
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I tried adding the code myself, in the [Reading] section, but no luck at all. I powered off, did paperclip resets, but nothing. I only get 1-6 as my page refresh options. Any ideas?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #240
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I tried adding the code myself, in the [Reading] section, but no luck at all. I powered off, did paperclip resets, but nothing. I only get 1-6 as my page refresh options. Any ideas?

Correct. The GUI will only ever give you the value 1 through 6. Editting the setting file is the only way to get a greater value and then the GUI will show "Oh the humanity" and not the value you have set.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote