Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2023, 02:20 PM   #1
Killericon
Killericon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Kobo Libra H20 Rapid Battery Drain

My Kobo Libra H20 has been having huge drops in battery for what seems like no reason. I'll charge it up fully, use it for a day or two without issue, and then I'll wake it up and it'll be at 19% battery after having been at 95% when I was using it a few hours before.

I've done a factory reset, I've converted all my ePubs to Mobi and then back to ePub (I actually didn't sideload anything for a while after the factory reset and it still happened), I've turned off wifi - None of which has helped. I'm on the latesy update, as well. Does anyone have any idea what is happening or is this thing just borked?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:45 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Use it until the battery dies completely and then charge it to 100%. Doing this a couple of times should calibrate the battery meter and give you more reliable numbers. If you've been charging to 100% all these years, you've probably just damaged the battery so much that it can't hold a charge very well anymore, so the total capacity is greatly diminished.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 04:41 PM   #3
Killericon

Will do, though I have done this a few times, and I've only had this thing for a year or so at this point, and didn't keep it fully charged very often.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:04 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I've done a factory reset, I've converted all my ePubs to Mobi and then back to ePub (I actually didn't sideload anything for a while after the factory reset and it still happened), I've turned off wifi - None of which has helped.
Have you turned off auto sync also?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:56 AM   #5
Killericon

I did, and drained it down, and have 0 ePubs on it - Still dropping. I ordered a new battery and will be doing a replacement. Thanks to all for your help!
Advert
Old 10-30-2023, 03:41 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I did, and drained it down, and have 0 ePubs on it - Still dropping. I ordered a new battery and will be doing a replacement. Thanks to all for your help!
I was about to suggest a warranty return, but realised that was released more than four years ago now! So I'm assuming you got it secondhand, and you don't know how it was treated before that. Best of luck
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 12:11 PM   #7
Killericon

Thanks! I didn't get it second hand, but I don't have my proof of purchase at this point. I found this great reddit post outlining the battery replacement process, which I'm posting here for posterity. Found a battery on Amazon for $20, so I figure this is easiest/best anyways.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:30 PM   #8
Killericon

Wanted to follow up for posterity - I successfully replaced the battery, am presently charging it to full, and will report back with my findings, but I took some photos during the process. Yes, I know my soldering job was not good.

https://imgur.com/a/6CCuMyq
Old 10-31-2023, 07:31 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I took some photos during the process.

Hmm... does showing a naked motherboard qualify as adult content?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:43 PM   #10
Killericon

I have absolutely no idea why it got flagged, maybe it's auto detecting that my soldering work counts as gore?
Old 11-01-2023, 01:42 AM   #11
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmm... does showing a naked motherboard qualify as adult content?
Only if you're a fellow computer. Hubba hubba.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:48 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Color, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Wanted to follow up for posterity - I successfully replaced the battery, am presently charging it to full, and will report back with my findings, but I took some photos during the process. Yes, I know my soldering job was not good.

Well, I'm impressed. Particularly with the high-tech dental floss removal system.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:38 AM   #13
Dibbler
Enthusiast
Dibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Kobo Aura One, Clara 2E, Clara BW
Quote:

Looks impressive, well done for sharing and the reddit link.
Even tho the new battery suggests to be of a higher capacity it does seem to have room in the reader for a bigger one, if such a battery could be found...?
You never know tho how these cheap batteries go on, in terms of their actual capacity over their rated and longevity.

How was it to open up the case, reasonably easy....?
Dibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:18 PM   #14
Fozkas
Connoisseur
Fozkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Maybe a bit late to the party, but here it goes.

My Libra H2O also drained on stand by. 10-20% overnight. No sync nor wifi on.

Solved by just turning fully off when not in use.

Enviado do meu SM-S916B através do Tapatalk
Fozkas is offline   Reply With Quote