Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2015, 01:50 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
What genre should I use?

The next short story I want to publish is written as a series of interviews about a piece of music where the creator has died and everyone is claiming the rights should belong to them.

What I can't work out is how to categorise this story in the available Smashwords genres.

I am tempted by Fiction » Themes & motifs » Legal, because there is a (quite minor) legal aspect to it, but that's not really what it's about, and it's probably not what people are expecting under that heading.

The only other category sufficiently generic would seem to be Fiction » Literature » Literary, but I've never really seen myself as a writer of "literary" fiction. The story is intended to be amusing (though not in an overtly comic sense), but it isn't really intended to astound anyone with the quality of my prose (which is how I generally think of "literary" fiction).

Any suggestions?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:46 AM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Who are fighting over the rights? Relatives? Acquaintances? Publishers? Strangers?

My first guess would also have been "Fiction » Themes & motifs » Legal." The descriptions of some of the stories in that category seem in line with your description. And, you could use a "Humor & comedy" category for a secondary genre.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2015, 03:29 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Who are fighting over the rights? Relatives? Acquaintances? Publishers? Strangers?
The initial plan was for all of the above , but to keep it short I've kept it down to just a handful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
My first guess would also have been "Fiction » Themes & motifs » Legal." The descriptions of some of the stories in that category seem in line with your description. And, you could use a "Humor & comedy" category for a secondary genre.
I'll probably stay away from "Humor & Comedy", I think that might give the wrong idea. I'm hoping readers will find it wryly amusing, but I don't really expect anyone to laugh out loud ... or am I placing too high an expectation on the "Humour & Comedy" genre?

The legal aspect exists because it has to, given the subject matter, but the story is actually about people's sense of entitlement - in fact the story is called "Entitled".

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:51 AM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
In all honesty, I've never encountered a book that made me "laugh out loud" -- deliberately, that is! -- so that tempers my expectations. Besides, I think the "Satire" sub-category suggests amusement rather than guffaws.

If not humor, then, is there a "Mystery & detective" category that it can fit into? Cozy?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:02 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Satire. Yes. I hadn't thought about it that way, but now you mention it, I do think it will fit in there quite well.

Thanks very much!
Advert
Old 07-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sounds mainstream/literary to me, I'd put it there, unless it is truly focused on the Law/Legal aspects.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Thanks, Kenny. It's definitely not focused on the legal aspect. I've stuck it under Satire for the moment. I get self-conscious thinking about a literary classification - maybe I need to work on that, my prejudices may be showing.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
If there is no 'mainstream' category then 'literary' works that's really all it is.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
dorotea
dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dorotea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would have to agree with Kenny!
dorotea is offline   Reply With Quote