Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #91
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I tried that and all I see is my name and a $ sign, is this saying I need to buy this program? Also am I suppose to be in the screen_saver folder on my K2 while doing this?
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #92
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octochick View Post
I tried that and all I see is my name and a $ sign, is this saying I need to buy this program? Also am I suppose to be in the screen_saver folder on my K2 while doing this?
Your name and the $ sign are the prompt.

When using the command line you need to press the enter key after each command.

So:
Code:
cd /Volumes/Kindle/system/screen_saver [press enter key]
ls -a [press the enter key]
rm -i ._* [press the enter key, and press the 'y' or 'n' key to delete files (or not) when asked]
exit [press the enter key]
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #93
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Your name and the $ sign are the prompt.

When using the command line you need to press the enter key after each command.

So:
Code:
cd /Volumes/Kindle/system/screen_saver [press enter key]
ls -a [press the enter key]
rm -i ._* [press the enter key, and press the 'y' or 'n' key to delete files (or not) when asked]
exit [press the enter key]
I am making progress, I did get the file to come up but did not get them removed yet, the code your showing rm-i I thought was an L so I will try again...I will try this! Thanks

Thanks for all your patience!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #94
Octochick
Zealot

I am getting this:
Macintosh-2:screen_saver lararossignol$ rm-i._1.png
-bash: rm-i._1.png: command not found
Macintosh-2:screen_saver lararossignol$ rm -i._1.png
rm: illegal option -- .
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink file
Macintosh-2:screen_saver lararossignol$ rm._1.png
-bash: rm._1.png: command not found
Macintosh-2:screen_saver lararossignol$
Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #95
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
I am getting this:
Macintosh-2:screen_saver lararossignol$ rm-i._1.png
-bash: rm-i._1.png: command not found
Macintosh-2:screen_saver lararossignol$ rm -i._1.png
rm: illegal option -- .
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink file
Macintosh-2:screen_saver lararossignol$ rm._1.png
-bash: rm._1.png: command not found
Macintosh-2:screen_saver lararossignol$
Ok, last one on this, as the thread has turned into a Mac user support group. You need to mind the spaces. The rm command is followed by a space followed by the -i flag followed by a space followed by the wildcard filename of ._*
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #96
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
I think so. The stock backgrounds are also named with an "XX_yyyyyy.png" naming scheme with the XX being from 00 to 25, seemingly in an attempt to keep them in order. (The kindle definition image is first, and the kindle feedback image is last.)
Clarknova--thanks for pulling this together!

A quick question: Where are these files hiding? Even with hidden files enabled on the Mac, there are zero PNGs showing anywhere. I've not yet added your alterations, I'm just searching for the normal set so I can possibly get rid of Oscar Wilde & friends while leaving the other art for now.

(For the Mac gurus: I'm also wondering if even the normal hidden file route for OS X isn't sufficient in some way to bring up the Kindle system files; my System folder appears much emptier than I would expect; two folders and one file, nothing else.)

Heck, I may just pull out my elderly WinXp laptop & plug into that; I still feel more at home techwise on that OS!

Last edited by VictoriaP; 03-06-2009 at 12:23 PM.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #97
wilsondm2
wilsondm2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
Clarknova--thanks for pulling this together!

A quick question: Where are these files hiding? Even with hidden files enabled on the Mac, there are zero PNGs showing anywhere. I've not yet added your alterations, I'm just searching for the normal set so I can possibly get rid of Oscar Wilde & friends while leaving the other art for now.

(For the Mac gurus: I'm also wondering if even the normal hidden file route for OS X isn't sufficient in some way to bring up the Kindle system files; my System folder appears much emptier than I would expect; two folders and one file, nothing else.)

Heck, I may just pull out my elderly WinXp laptop & plug into that; I still feel more at home techwise on that OS!
Yeh - I enabled the show all files on the Mac OS, and it still doesn't show the ._* files on my system folder, but when I plug it in to the windows side, there it is.

Am I doing something wrong?
wilsondm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #98
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsondm2 View Post
Yeh - I enabled the show all files on the Mac OS, and it still doesn't show the ._* files on my system folder, but when I plug it in to the windows side, there it is.

Am I doing something wrong?
How are you enabling show all files?

Are you doing it this way?

http://lifehacker.com/software/comma...der-188892.php

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #99
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How are you enabling show all files?

Are you doing it this way?

http://lifehacker.com/software/comma...der-188892.php

BOb
That code is different than the one I found & used yesterday; I'll give it a try!

Edit--shows the exact same files as before, still not a PNG (of the original screensavers) to be seen, and no additional system files showing. Weird. I'll definitely have to boot up the old PC, this is starting to bug me.

Last edited by VictoriaP; 03-06-2009 at 12:50 PM.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #100
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The original screensavers are NOT on the default system directory via USB.

The ._ files are made when you copy files over onto the Kindle via a Mac.

Two entirely different issues.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #101
Octochick
Zealot

Quote:
Ok, last one on this, as the thread has turned into a Mac user support group. You need to mind the spaces. The rm command is followed by a space followed by the -i flag followed by a space followed by the wildcard filename of ._*
Thanks, I GOT IT!!!!!!

The only additional note, you must add quotes if your file has any spaces...Like this : rm -i "._kindle faries.png"

This was driving me nuts as the first one file worked (after I added spaces.)
You can go in an rename your files in the screen_saver folder (I did this on a few but got worried I was making more a mess but those work fine)

also another note you do not press enter between this

cd /Volumes/Kindle/system/screen_saver

ls -a

Just enter it as one line: cd /Volumes/Kindle/system/screen_saver ls -a

That's what worked for me. Thanks EVERYONE!!! Now I can love my K2 unconditionally!

On my mac it only worked to bring up the files when
Old 03-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #102
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The only additional note, you must add quotes if your file has any spaces...Like this : rm -i "._kindle faries.png"
Um, if you just literally type

rm -i ._*

it will delete ALL the files that start with ._

The asterisk is a "wild card" which means match any characters as many as there are.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #103
Octochick
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Um, if you just literally type

rm -i ._*

it will delete ALL the files that start with ._

The asterisk is a "wild card" which means match any characters as many as there are.

BOb
Now you tell me! I thought that was just a fill in your file name kind of thing...
oh well.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #104
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
And you do press enter before the ls -a but... whatever worked for you, luv.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #105
Octochick
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
And you do press enter before the ls -a but... whatever worked for you, luv.
I did try that, did not work. Only when I paste it as one line and then hit enter.. but whatever way works... just so happy to have my own Sceensavers! (One of the 13 I loaded below!)

Thank you Clarknova!!!

and everyone else for helping my blonde, mac ass figure it out

Last edited by Octochick; 03-06-2009 at 04:43 PM.