Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #196
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have a friend who had a Kindle 1 and he put pictures of his girl friend as screen savers. He bought a Kindle 2 a while back and now he is trying to convince his girl friend that he his not dating Emily Dickinson.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #197
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
Many thanks for the authors of this hack. From day one I have HATED the pics that Amazon put on there. I also hated that I had to hold the button for 6 seconds just to get a bloody blank screen instead of an ugly picture :-)

I grabbed a bunch of cool book cover images from things I have read and installed the hack. Beautiful!

A few weeks later, when I got tired of them I uninstalled the hack. Then I create an EMPTY screen_saver dir and reinstalled it. Now I get the INSTANT blank screen (just like on the Sony :-)) LOVE IT!!!

Wouldn't it be cool if there was an option to use the cover image of the current book you have open when it goes to sleep though?

Thanks again hackers!
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #198
srmalloy
Enthusiast
srmalloy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybernation View Post
From day one I have HATED the pics that Amazon put on there.
The one of the illuminated manuscript and the one of the two astronomers with the octant aren't bad; I kept those (at least until I find better examples of the same style to replace them). The others I junked.
srmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #199
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Octant? Is that correct? I've been racking my brain, although not expending any physical effort, trying to identify that instrument. Thanks!!!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #200
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Octant? Is that correct? I've been racking my brain, although not expending any physical effort, trying to identify that instrument. Thanks!!!
Sextant. It's actually a picture of 17th-century Polish astronomers Johannes and Elisabetha Hevelius.

Last edited by sirbruce; 05-30-2009 at 08:46 AM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #201
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Sextant. It's actually a picture of 17th-century Polish astronomers Johannes and Elisabetha Hevelius.
Ah, well that would explain it.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #202
srmalloy
Enthusiast
srmalloy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The numeric markings would indicate it's a sextant, but mapping it with rotation shows it to be short of 60° of arc, which was why I judged it to be an octant when eyeballing the angle. It is, however, wider than 45°; I suspect Amazon compressed the image some in width to get it to fit the 3x4 aspect ratio of the Kindle display.
srmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #203
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh, yeah, could be distorted. Here's the original pic on the Internet, though:
Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #204
sirbruce
Provocateur

How soon can we get a patch for the DX?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #205
dixiepeep
dixiepeep began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Kindle screensaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I'd been kinda meaning to do this for a while now, but just hadn't had the time to sit down and test it and make sure everything works OK, but I finally did and here it is.

All this really is was an attempt to help alleviate blank screen problems.

You no longer have to create the system/screen_saver directory yourself: after you have "updated" the K2 with the hack, when the K2 boots, it checks to see if the screen_saver directory is there and if not, it creates it and copies the default screen saver images to it. This way you can then plug your K2 in, browse to the directory and remove the default images (or keep some or all, it's up to you) and add your own and reset the kindle.

Also on boot, if the screen_saver directory is there, then it will check it for any troublesome files like Windows' thumbs.db and Mac OS's dot-underscore files and remove them automatically. So no more messing around with the command line for the Mac folks trying to get rid of blank screens.

Finally, an FYI: if you already have v0.3 (or v0.2 or v0.1) installed, you don't have to remove it to install v0.4. Just go ahead and use the new bin and update directly. (This has always been the case, but I don't know if it was mentioned or not.)
I am unable to extract the file. Suggestions?
dixiepeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #206
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiepeep View Post
I am unable to extract the file. Suggestions?
Install Winzip?

Redownload it?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #207
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
xxxxx

Last edited by PaulGuy; 07-01-2009 at 11:38 PM.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #208
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
xxxxx

Last edited by PaulGuy; 07-01-2009 at 11:38 PM.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #209
stlrivals
stlrivals began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
how do you change directories to the system directory? I only see audible documents and music
stlrivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #210
pilotdrh2003
Pilot & Reader
pilotdrh2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrivals View Post
how do you change directories to the system directory? I only see audible documents and music
The system directory is hidden. You have to change your file display properties so that it will show hidden and system folders. If you are using Windows you can click on start and help and then search for hidden folder
pilotdrh2003 is offline   Reply With Quote