Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #37891
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
So, apparently we have an abundance of "retired guys!" A term that I'm gradually learning to apply to myself, although the transition from "stay-at-home Dad/long-term unemployed" to "retired" seems to be a bit indistinct.

(I was wondering about the instant milk recycler. )
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #37892
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
So confused
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #37893
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
So, apparently we have an abundance of "retired guys!" A term that I'm gradually learning to apply to myself, although the transition from "stay-at-home Dad/long-term unemployed" to "retired" seems to be a bit indistinct.

(I was wondering about the instant milk recycler. )
How about 'want to be retired guys' or 'planning on early retirement guys'?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #37894
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Many people I know are 'semi-retired.' They have a regular schedule of activities each week, some of which bring in some money, others are just for fun. These folks remain quite vibrant over the years. The people "I" know who do NOT follow this sort of lifestyle, but no longer work 9-5 seem to get old very quickly... The idea of just sitting on a rocker on the porch may look nice when the alternative is slaving away in some florescent-lit hell, but the reality doesn't cut it. Here in Thailand, they quickly swap the porch for the bar, and that becomes home from 10am til midnight.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:56 AM   #37895
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Preparing to go to Maastricht. Considering it's going to be warm (25 degrees C) and humidity is already over 90%, I'm really looking forward to the touring the caves!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #37896
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished setting up & playing with my new Fire Phone - my first smartphone! Yes - despite all the naysayers & negative hoopla I ordered one - and I like it! I'll be posting a review later in the Amazon Forum. It's quite a nice phone - with a wonderful camera [prepare for incoming 'action' cat photos!]
Old 07-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #37897
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Yay pooh!

I'm sitting on my ass watching a friend and her son put up a gazebo thingy for me. It's very unusual and frustrating for me to not be the tool user/interpreter of directions. *frustrated*
Old 07-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #37898
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Yay pooh!

I'm sitting on my ass watching a friend and her son put up a gazebo thingy for me. It's very unusual and frustrating for me to not be the tool user/interpreter of directions. *frustrated*
Welcome to management! I call it 'sitting on my hands'. Be sure to reward your workers liberally - many folks (if embarrassed or uncomfortable) forget the power of a simple 'thank you'.

So how's the recovery going?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #37899
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Finished setting up & playing with my new Fire Phone - my first smartphone! Yes - despite all the naysayers & negative hoopla I ordered one - and I like it! I'll be posting a review later in the Amazon Forum. It's quite a nice phone - with a wonderful camera [prepare for incoming 'action' cat photos!]

I love this new wave of technology. We have smart phones, smart cars, smart TVs, even smart Washing Machines. I wonder if we will ever have smart people who can figure out how to operate these damn things! When it gets to the point that people need to read a 450-page "How to Use Your Phone - For Dummies," I begin to wonder...

Stitchawl
Old 07-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #37900
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I love this new wave of technology. We have smart phones, smart cars, smart TVs, even smart Washing Machines. I wonder if we will ever have smart people who can figure out how to operate these damn things! When it gets to the point that people need to read a 450-page "How to Use Your Phone - For Dummies," I begin to wonder...

Stitchawl
Or maybe our smartphones will program us?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #37901
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Or maybe our smartphones will program us?
Will? Have you looked around in any cafe, restaurant, bus stop, shopping mall, office building, etc., etc., lately? It used to be that the only thing everyone stared at was a campfire! People can't even walk down the street these days without looking at their phones. How important is the average txt msg? The phones are trying to program us (and succeeding) into mindless robotic action... just as if we were sitting around staring at a campfire, mindlessly feeding it. I used to think that 'fire' was some sort of benign alien, only asking for gentle attention. Now I realize it's not the only alien come to visit.

Stitchawl
Old 07-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #37902
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Printing pictures for my photo journalling. With yesterday's day out to Maastricht it will be three pages, instead of the normal two (or one page if it's been a quiet week). I'm still debating whether or not I will bring some of my photo journalling stuff with me when I go house sitting for three weeks in August.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #37903
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Printing pictures for my photo journalling. With yesterday's day out to Maastricht it will be three pages,
Did you enjoy the caves? Where you able to shoot any pictures inside?

Stitchawl
Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #37904
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Did you enjoy the caves? Where you able to shoot any pictures inside?

Stitchawl
The caves were very impressive. We were early, so we first had a drink at the café. Inside the tunnels it was really nice and cool. They aren't actually caves but a tunnel system where they quarried for limestone (only 80km of the original 250km are left). The owners decided that it would also serve as a great day out and had artists make drawings in charcoal and chalk all over the place. And during the second world war the tunnels were also used to smuggle jews to Belgium. It's certainly worth a visit if you're around Maastricht. There's also a fort nearby and next time we'll go do that tour.

I'll upload the pictures to my blog tomorrow and link it in this thread.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #37905
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Welcome to management! I call it 'sitting on my hands'. Be sure to reward your workers liberally - many folks (if embarrassed or uncomfortable) forget the power of a simple 'thank you'.

So how's the recovery going?
I provided plenty of libations!
I'm kind of at that frustrating point where I'm really ready to be better but not just there yet😐

Quote:
Will? Have you looked around in any cafe, restaurant, bus stop, shopping mall, office building, etc., etc., lately? It used to be that the only thing everyone stared at was a campfire! People can't even walk down the street these days without looking at their phones. How important is the average txt msg? The phones are trying to program us (and succeeding) into mindless robotic action... just as if we were sitting around staring at a campfire, mindlessly feeding it. I used to think that 'fire' was some sort of benign alien, only asking for gentle attention. Now I realize it's not the only alien come to visit.

Stitchawl
I kind of miss the days that carrying a cell phone simply meant I was on emergency call out duty

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?