Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes, but we don't discuss it here because the procedure is equally useful to the pirate and the legitimate user. I will give you a hint, and let you figure it out on your own. Look here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
gladiator
gladiator began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks alot man. This seems like it will take some time to digest but it looks really interesting.

Take care
gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found another Mobipocket retailer that Kindle owners can use. The list now includes:

Ebookmall
Fictionwise
ebooks.com
BooksOnBoard
I cannot recommend the last one.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #19
DocSavage
DocSavage began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I installed Mobipocket Desktop 6.0 on my Vista machine. It recognizes when I plug in my smartphone - but when I plug in my Kindle it dosnt recognize it. Has anybody seen this?

In the about it says it Version : 6.0 Build 580.

Do you think in the new Kindles they did something to make it not recognize?!
DocSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #20
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'll find out tomorrow when my replacement Kindle arrives. I'm running XP but I would imagine the outcome should be similar.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #21
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
If they really block MobiPocket Desktop from now on, shouldn't every Kindle be affected ? They can automatically push firmware updates using EVDO.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #22
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'd think so but at least on my dead screen Kindle MobiPocket Desktop 6.0 still recognizes my Kindle and displays its PID.

It makes sense to "upgrade" the MobiPocket Desktop to exclude the Kindle instead of pushing out a firmware release via EVDO. When you open MobiPocket Desktop it will tell you if there is new version available and ask if you want to install it. Most people will upgrade automatically, I know that I did. But I was able to uninstall 6.1 and reinstall 6.0.

Amazon was probably getting complaints from Kindle owners that they weren't able to add their Kindle PID at MobiPocket to read DRMed ebooks. I know that I was told that MobiPocket Desktop does not support the Kindle from both MobiPocket and Amazon. Shortly after that 6.1 arrived with the Kindle only showing up as an USB drive.

I'm hoping that the PID is still based on the serial number so igorsk's fix will work if 6.0 doesn't recognize my new Kindle.

I'll find out probably tomorrow afternoon, US East Coast time.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #23
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
The PID would have to be based off of the serial number. Any other scheme would open the door to people finding a way to change the PID of their device. We all know where that would lead. I seem to recall that mobipocket bases its PID off hardware serial. As for the rest, I installed Mobi 6.0 on Vista the other day. It did not recognize my Kindle. I was disappointed.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #24
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Must be something with Vista. I just received my replacement Kindle and 6.0 found it and gave me the PID. BTW, I'm using XP SP2.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #25
featherz
featherz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi all! Just got my kindle and wanted to say that mobipocket 6.0 (from here) is not recognizing for me on Vista either. Bummer!
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #26
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I forgot that I had MobiPocket on my Vista tablet computer and it didn't find my Kindle either.

If you want the PID just use igorsk's script. It works.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #27
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If you want the PID just use igorsk's script. It works.
Oooo -- what and where is that? I don't have any mobipocket desktop installed (I'm on a mac) but I'd love to know my Kindle's ID. I can find a PC if I need to (okay, it's also on my desk, but I only use it once a quarter or less), to run said script. But I really don't want to bother installing the desktop thing.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are threads on this Forum, but the direct link to the script is Mobipocket Books on Kindle. Be sure to read the comments for pastebin bonus scripts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Look here link removed on Amazon's request. You'll also need a python interpreter, which you can find here.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #30
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz View Post
Hi all! Just got my kindle and wanted to say that mobipocket 6.0 (from here) is not recognizing for me on Vista either. Bummer!
Same thing. Vista itself sees the Kindle just fine but Mobipocket doesn't, dang. Worked fine under XP.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote