Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
lveale
lveale began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm seeing the same problem as needleinthehay. If I sort by collections. I do not see ANY books on the home page that have not already been added to collections. If I add a new book, I have to use the search function or sort by title or author to find it and then add it to a collection. I'd love to know what is causing this because I'm out of ideas. Since this doesn't happen on everyone's Paperwhite, it's hard to believe it's a software bug.
lveale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
sir_stoffer
sir_stoffer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Crossposting to tie these two threads together: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171750
(The devices are different - one is a Touch, the other is the new Paperwhite - but the issue is identical.)

I am experiencing the same thing now on a Kindle touch which I have had for a few months with no problems. But today, after I spent all morning creating new collections, my home page no longer displays like it used to.

I.E. when, as usual, I Filter by "all items" and Sort by "collections" the toolbar reads
Code:
My Items (39) ⬇ Collections ⬇                                 1 of 5 ⬇
And only the 39 collections are listed. If I choose to sort by anything else, all 676 items are displayed, with the books/docs coming first, and the collections on the last 5 pages, e.g.
Code:
My Items (676) ⬇ Author ⬇                                     1 of 85 ⬇
Up until a few hours ago, the first sorting method would have resulted in a list of my 39 collections followed by any books/docs that had not yet been added to a collection. Now I have no easy way of seeing which files have yet to be collected...

I have tried "Sync and Check for Items" and a hard reboot, but it hasn't worked.
sir_stoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_stoffer View Post
Crossposting to tie these two threads together: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171750
(The devices are different - one is a Touch, the other is the new Paperwhite - but the issue is identical.)

I am experiencing the same thing now on a Kindle touch which I have had for a few months with no problems. But today, after I spent all morning creating new collections, my home page no longer displays like it used to.

I.E. when, as usual, I Filter by "all items" and Sort by "collections" the toolbar reads
Code:
My Items (39) ⬇ Collections ⬇                                 1 of 5 ⬇
And only the 39 collections are listed. If I choose to sort by anything else, all 676 items are displayed, with the books/docs coming first, and the collections on the last 5 pages, e.g.
Code:
My Items (676) ⬇ Author ⬇                                     1 of 85 ⬇
Up until a few hours ago, the first sorting method would have resulted in a list of my 39 collections followed by any books/docs that had not yet been added to a collection. Now I have no easy way of seeing which files have yet to be collected...

I have tried "Sync and Check for Items" and a hard reboot, but it hasn't worked.
Shameless plug... did you try Collections Manager?

Which makes me think of a new feature... filter the display to show only items which are not in any collection yet. I'll start to implement it now
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #19
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I have both K3 and K4NT.

They are both organised the same way.

I have a collection called __Reading (that is two underscores at the start).

Next I have a collection called ~_Assorted (that is a tilde, followed by a single underscore). It is used as a grab bag for any book not otherwise assigned to a collection.

All other collections have a tilde at the start eg: ~Austen, Jane

And the primary sort order is by title.

The result is __Reading, followed by ~_Assorted, followed by all my other collections in alphabetical order, followed by all of my books (whether in collections or not) also in alphabetical order.

I rarely need to refer to the list of books, as any book should normally be in one or more assigned collections, or ~_Assorted. Books are added to __Reading or removed as appropriate.

If I change the primary sort order to Collections, the book list which normally follows the list of collections disappears, other than those books which have not yet been assigned to collections. This makes sense to me.

At the same time, the ~_Assorted collection jumps ahead of the __Reading collection, which means that by default, tilde sorts before underscore. As I rarely do this, however, this is of little consequence to me.

Last edited by BeeTee-Ess; 10-13-2012 at 12:37 AM.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
sir_stoffer
sir_stoffer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Shameless plug... did you try Collections Manager?

Which makes me think of a new feature... filter the display to show only items which are not in any collection yet. I'll start to implement it now
That looks great and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Stuff like this (and people like you) are the reason I love the internet <3

I did just remember something that makes me think this whole issue is a database error: Before my unsorted books disappeared from that particular filter/sort list, I noticed a gap in the list, which was not there before I started to organize everything into collections. What I mean by gap is that the list would be, say, 11 pages. First five were my collections, followed by four pages of unsorted items with a blank entry at the bottom of what would be page 9. Blank as in a blank space, as if the list ended one item short of a full page. Leafing to page 10 would result in a long load time where the device did not register input, and when it finally showed page 10 it would be completely blank. Leafing to page 11 (final page) would also take a long time to load, but there I would see the final few unsorted items. I'm not sure whether the gap was empty space in between the existing items, or if some of the items were not showing up, essentially being covered by the blank space?

Presently, a blank page (and a half) is still visible around the end of an author-alphabetical list when I select to filter by books or docs. As I leaf back and forth through the list, a gap of varying size is present - sometimes a full page and a bit, sometimes two half pages. Confusingly, the books that are sometimes there, sometimes not ("in the gap") are not arranged alphabetically...

I think I'm going to do a complete reset of the device, a MOBI -> MOBI convert of everything through Calibre, and install the program you shared.
sir_stoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 02:16 AM   #21
weaveca
weaveca began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Collections books appearing in both places

Quote:
Originally Posted by needleinthehay View Post
I've just upgraded from a Kindle 3 (Kindle Keyboard) to the new Paperwhite, and I'm confused about how collections now work (although this may have changed in Touch, not sure since I don't have one). On my Kindle 3, my homescreen looked something like:

[Collection 1]
[Collection 2]
Book #1 (not in any collection)
Book #2 (not in any collection)

Once I finish reading a book, I file it into a collection and it's off my main list view, so all the books which are on my homescreen and not in collections are books I haven't read. I've successfully ported all my books over from the old Kindle to the new Paperwhite, but all I see on the homescreen is:

[Collection 1]
[Collection 2]

I can only see Books #1 & 2 if I sort by author/title or if I search for the item. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong, or any way to revert to the previous collection behavior? Thanks!
My Paperwhite was sorting fine:

[Collection 1]
[Collection 2]
Book #1 (not in any collection)
Book #2 (not in any collection)

All the sudden books in collections also stay in the list out of collections negating the point of putting them in collections. Cannot figure out how to correct this
weaveca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaveca View Post
All the sudden books in collections also stay in the list out of collections negating the point of putting them in collections. Cannot figure out how to correct this
Perhaps you changed the sort-by selection on the top right from "Collection" to something else.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote