Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
wsxhwyy
wsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the rough

Device: KT
Kindle touch briced after update to 5.0.3

My kindle touch bricked after update to 5.0.3. It now stuck at boot screen and soon windows find an "unknown device". How can I do now?
wsxhwyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
wsxhwyy
wsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the rough

Mfgtool.exe can boot into diags and fastboot, but it cannot boot into main.
I recovered mmcblk0p1.img and cleared /var/local but it's no use at all.

Last edited by wsxhwyy; 03-08-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
wsxhwyy

Call geekmaster for help.
I found these infomation in fastboot.

partitions:
bootloader bootloader, 376KiB
prod overlaps bootloader, 120KiB
bist bist, 256KiB
userdata userdata, 5KiB
userpartition userpartition
mbr master boot record
kernel primary kernel
diags_kernel diags kernel
system main system (root) partition
diags secondary system (diags) partition
data user data

Which partition of my device is broken? I updated it to 5.0.3 and when it finished my kindle stucked and I could not boot into main again.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsxhwyy View Post
Call geekmaster for help.
I found these infomation in fastboot.

partitions:
bootloader bootloader, 376KiB
prod overlaps bootloader, 120KiB
bist bist, 256KiB
userdata userdata, 5KiB
userpartition userpartition
mbr master boot record
kernel primary kernel
diags_kernel diags kernel
system main system (root) partition
diags secondary system (diags) partition
data user data

Which partition of my device is broken? I updated it to 5.0.3 and when it finished my kindle stucked and I could not boot into main again.
How did you "recover" mmcblk0p1? You cannot do that from fastboot (it is too big). You can boot to diags use a RUNME.sh script, or you can use fastboot to flash mmcblk0p2_ssh.img to diags and use an SSH shell, then copy mmcblk0p1.img to /dev/mmcblk0p1 (from RUNME.sh or at an SSH shell).

See these other threads for details:

Simple debricking: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

SelectBoot: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-08-2012 at 08:49 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
wsxhwyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
How did you "recover" mmcblk0p1? You cannot do that from fastboot (it is too big). You can boot to diags use a RUNME.sh script, or you can use fastboot to flash mmcblk0p2_ssh.img to diags and use an SSH shell, then copy mmcblk0p1.img to /dev/mmcblk0p1 (from RUNME.sh or at an SSH shell).

See these other threads for details:

Simple debricking: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

SelectBoot: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

I used your diags with ssh.
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I used your diags with ssh.
If you still cannot boot, your /var/local partition may be full (from too many books in the collections database).

You can reset the /var/local partition with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K

If you do not want to lose your collections database, you may want to copy it from /var/local to /mnt/us first.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
wsxhwyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If you still cannot boot, your /var/local partition may be full (from too many books in the collections database).

You can reset the /var/local partition with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K

If you do not want to lose your collections database, you may want to copy it from /var/local to /mnt/us first.
I cleared /var/local. But it's no use. I think my kernel is broken.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
I cleared /var/local. But it's no use. I think my kernel is broken.
There are main and diags kernels that you can flash with fastboot.

I will be busy for the next few days. Perhaps somebody here can provide a link to a main system linux kernel image (extracted from a backup of the first 32MB of /dev/mmcblk0, at offset 0x41000 as I recall -- and the length is in the flash header at the beginning of the kernel image).