Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #2731
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool chuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
The Dresden Files Irrational Optimists Club
Roster as of 11/9/13

Nyssa - President
Alan - Librarian of Trivia Emeritus
CWatkinsNash - Chief Archivist and Title Processor
eschwartz - Officiating Secretary
AlbertaCowboy - Great and Benevolent Progenitor of the Legacy
red_phoenix - Chief of the IOC Firebirds
leanansidhe - Official Fairy Godmother

In accordance with my duties, I hereby submit this record to the most permanent and unforgiving of all archives, The Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My name is Nyssa and I approve of this message!

Librarian of Trivia, Emeritus

Last edited by alansplace; 11-11-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #2732
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I love and applaud your enthusiasm. I hereby declare you Officiating Secretary of the Irrational Optimists Club.

Who else wants a title, while I'm handing them out?

Why thank you. It's good to know I still have friends here, with all this hate on the countdown. You deserve some K for this.

Excuse me for a minute.

The Irrational Optimist's Club believes Skin Game will be released in:
24 DAYS!

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-09-2013 at 10:05 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #2733
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why thank you. It's good to know I still have friends here, with all this hate on the countdown. ...
Should I be concerned??

Where's my Chief of Staff?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #2734
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Chief of Staff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Should I be concerned??

Where's my Chief of Staff?

- Librarian of Trivia Emeritus

Last edited by alansplace; 11-09-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #2735
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

**Sigh**

I said Chief of Staff, not Chief Staff.
It's so hard to find good help these days...
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #2736
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Old 11-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #2737
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
We really do have the coolest Dresden fan club ever.

Lady President, I'm afraid we haven't yet found any additional cabinet members for you. However, we're considering handling the issue eschwartz alluded to by offering the offender a position within the order. We have bridges that need policing.

A-hem.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #2738
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Oh no.

God no!

I doubt even Injun Joe would approve (and he allows himself to be nicknamed after a Tom Sawyer character.)

Hmmm. Then again, maybe he would. He's a little odd.

Seriously, too much red just mugged my eyeballs, ( ) and the smile is creeping me out. No one is that cheerful.

Anyway, good job.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-10-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #2739
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
We really do have the coolest Dresden fan club ever.

Lady President, I'm afraid we haven't yet found any additional cabinet members for you. However, we're considering handling the issue eschwartz alluded to by offering the offender a position within the order. We have bridges that need policing.

A-hem.
Didactic Enforcement, Inc., yeah, I know those guys.

Are we allowed to contract out for that? I mean, technically, they are the enemy.

Obviously, we must include a clause about not publicly decrying our cause, ESPECIALLY as an affiliate member. Can we get this to stick, legally speaking?

I for one do not want to see anyone denouncing the countdown while wearing a signature that includes a Dresden Files Irrational Optimists Club logo/link/title.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-10-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #2740
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool my annual re-read

Quote:
I just finished re-reading Side Jobs and was going to follow it with Ghost Story but instead I've decided to first re-read the 6 short stories (Curses, Even Hand, AAAA Wizardry, B is for Bigfoot, I Was a Teenage Bigfoot and Bigfoot on Campus that have only been published in separate anthologies) and the excerpt from Bombshells (which will be published on December 3rd) first.
Quote:
For my own convenience I've combined the above 6 stories and the excerpt into a single volume which I call Dresden Short Stories so I can read them as a collection on my PW.
Just completed Dresden Short Stories so now on to Ghost Story!

- The Dresden Files Librarian of Trivia - Emeritus
Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #2741
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just finished re-reading Side Jobs and was going to follow it with Ghost Story but instead I've decided to first re-read the 6 short stories (Curses, Even Hand, AAAA Wizardry, B is for Bigfoot, I Was a Teenage Bigfoot and Bigfoot on Campus that have only been published in separate anthologies) and the excerpt from Bombshells (which will be published on December 3rd) first.

I've created my own collection of short stories as well. Mine has...

B is for Bigfoot
I was a Teenage Bigfoot
Curses
AAAA Wizardry
Even Hand
Bigfoot on Campus

I don't have the excerpt. But then, I tend to remove excerpts from eBooks as I don't actually read them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #2742
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher quotes...

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the
world. Stupid is just as destructive
as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a
hell of a lot more common. What
we really need is a crusade against
Stupid. That might actually make
a difference.”
― Jim Butcher, Vignette - Side Jobs

- The Dresden Files Librarian of Trivia - Emeritus
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #2743
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Didactic Enforcement, Inc., yeah, I know those guys.

Are we allowed to contract out for that? I mean, technically, they are the enemy.

Obviously, we must include a clause about not publicly decrying our cause, ESPECIALLY as an affiliate member. Can we get this to stick, legally speaking?

I for one do not want to see anyone denouncing the countdown while wearing a signature that includes a Dresden Files Irrational Optimists Club logo/link/title.
Nah, they aren't really the enemy. A necessary balance, actually. Every good story requires an antagonist, yes? This is no different. Consider - the doses of downer is what spawned this sudden rallying of the membership.

Without the pessimist, there would be no Irrational Optimists.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #2744
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Ah, the old "Good cannot exist without evil to balance it argument".

I'm not entirely sure I agree. Though in certain cases they may be useful.

However, that wasn't my point. I merely question whether under the articles of our confederacy, we are allowed to give succor to the "necessary balance". Even the necessary balance is still evil. You can only say that we know, while we strive with all our heart to destroy evil, we will never fully succeed. And that's all right, since we don't need to. Even the threat of a resurgent evil balances out the story and offers an antagonist.

And no hero ever invites the antagonist over to a party (unless it is a cunning plot to assassinate him.)
Old 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #2745
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Nah, they aren't really the enemy. A necessary balance, actually. Every good story requires an antagonist, yes? This is no different. Consider - the doses of downer is what spawned this sudden rallying of the membership.

Without the pessimist, there would be no Irrational Optimists.
I am an Irrational Optimist in that I am irrationally optimistic that we won't get the new book until sometime in 2014.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy