Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Kindle DX realistic Battery Life?

I recently bought a DX graphite, and the battery life doesn't seem to be nearly as impressive as advertised. With wireless disabled, no indexing taking place, no TTS/MP3 active, and just reading (no standby mode ever being active) the device lasts about 50-60 hours (2000 page turns?) does that sound correct?

Smaller devices such as the K3 and the newer sony readers are boasting 10k page turns and 2 week long battery life, and I haven't been able to see any real responses to how long these devices last, specifically the DX.

I called amazon support and they said it should last at least 2 weeks, which I doubt but still... What sort of battery life do you guys get?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I get about the same battery time on mine. I have to charge it every Saturday because I use it for Church on Sunday. But then I never turn off the wireless. And sometimes it sits all week untouched. So its not from use, just standby. I will pick it up on Saturday to do some reading and there will be a battery-low warning on the screen.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Well I have no reason to use the wireless but my signal strength drops from full to 1 for some hours of the day, so that would undoubtedly rape the battery life quite quickly while it's sitting there with 1 bar struggling to reconnect constantly.

Good to know that this is what other people are getting though.

I never use standby.. Why would anyone use this? Why not just turn it off?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I get 2-3 weeks of reading... and that is reading about 2-3 hours per day... and that is about a week longer than my Kindle DX US
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
For me, it's five standard novels. Self-reporting is notoriously unreliable.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
I have never charged my DX, never turned it off I connect it every day (or sometimes every other day) to USB for a new online news from calibre - 10-15 minutes. That must be enough to recharge what I have used from the baterry when reading or occasionally truning on 3G for browsing web. I have once spend long afternoon browsing web, about 4h, and then the battery dropped significantly leaving about a quarter.
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I get about 3 weeks, reading 1-2 hours per day and with no significant usage of 3G (off most of the time).
It seems that the K3 has a bigger capacity battery.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
When we went on a driving tour, after two weeks of camping and intermittent use, the battery was still half full...

With wireless turned off, for us, the battery is just awesome.

Smiles,

Andy
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #9
curstpriest
Confused

Sounds about right then, if you are getting 2-3 weeks doing 2 hours a day that's giving you over 40 hours of active time.

I was able to read all 3 millennium novels (each are pretty long in print, something like 600 pgs) on one charge, and still had some battery remaining.

I still don't know why they say "read for 2-3 weeks" rather than using some standard such as page turns (other ereaders do this, usually they mention 8k-10k turns I think).

Had I used this thing in college when I used to pound journal articles I would have easily done a good 2-3 with that alone.

Perhaps off topic but,
Does anybody know if there are projects for @home automated scanning, or services to get books digitized? Commercial devices are really costly, and not available to the public. http://www.treventus.com/index_en.html (such as this) Our university library had a machine similar to this but it was only used for archiving older books. Really sucks having to haul around 8-10 textbooks that aren't searchable.