Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #136
TwinMoonsAnime
TwinMoonsAnime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
That's exactly what happened with my Kindle 2 today. I was sitting at my desk and noticed that my Kindle was trying to install an update. And sure enough, the update failed. I connected the Kindle to my computer and copied the update bin file to my computer. Then I deleted it and copied over the hack un-install bin and ran that. After the hack was un-installed, i copied the kindle update bin back to the kindle and the update to 2.02 went smoothly. After that I ran the screensaver hack again and it appears to be running fine.

I want to thank the author for this great hack. I don't see why Amazon makes such a big deal about giving us this capability to start with. It seems that they have gone on a control-freak trip as of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
I love the hack. Thank you Clarknova and Igor! It is so nice seeing my smiling kids face instead of a dead author.

What will happen if you have this hack installed and the Kindle tries to update via wireless? I was able to update to 2.0.2 but I did it it after restoring with restore bin file and then updating with screen saver bin. I updated to 2.0.2. with downloaded file. I'm a bit concerned that I will be out and about one day and the Kindle will try to update.

Thanks!
TwinMoonsAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #137
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Amazon is sort of lucky actually that Kindle owners are so loyal, otherwise after dismal K2 release and all the problems it carried, in all other cases they would have lost a lot of business.

I think they are tightening up their control over things, and trying to correct some of these issues, but they sure are pissing a lot of people in the process.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #138
TwinMoonsAnime
TwinMoonsAnime began at the beginning.

It would make sense if they were the only game in town (although their wireless delivery really is), but considering the onslaught of new e-book readers (and the first color one from Fujitsu), they really need to open things up and make things easier for users. Tightening up on the controls is really heading the wrong way.
TwinMoonsAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #139
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Maybe we should take up a collection to buy a K2 for igorsk and have him hack it for us.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so mad at Amazon right now I could spit. Not Dr Pepper either... broken glass, or nails, or something harmful.

Here's the problem; and I know I am not alone here. There is one series I really enjoy. I have purchased the rest of them from Books on Board, but they do not have the first book in the series. Matter of fact, NO ONE has the first book in the series except Amazon. I don't have a Kindle, therefore I cannot purchase the book. AGH!! If I was trying to get something for free, or circumvent the DRM on something, I wouldn't be so righteously indignant, but I can't even PAY FOR and purchase this book - simply because I chose a different device than a Kindle. Actually, I don't know if I should be angry at Amazon, or at the publisher (Kensington). I did write the author's publishing representative, as listed on the author's site, but have received no response. The rest of the series is available in other formats, just not the first book, so I know it's possible to do. If this boneheaded logic becomes common, I will have no choice but to start bribing Kindle owners to purchase material for me (that I pay them for) which I will then have to start dabbling in the grey area of scripts to be able to read.

for letting me hijack the thread to vent. Rant over.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #140
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMoonsAnime View Post
I connected the Kindle to my computer and copied the update bin file to my computer. Then I deleted it and copied over the hack un-install bin and ran that. After the hack was un-installed, i copied the kindle update bin back to the kindle and the update to 2.02 went smoothly.
You actually can just delete the update bin file, copy and use the uninstall bin, and then tell your Kindle to sync and check for new items and it will re-download the update bin for you.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #141
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so mad at Amazon right now I could spit. Not Dr Pepper either... broken glass, or nails, or something harmful.

Here's the problem; and I know I am not alone here. There is one series I really enjoy. I have purchased the rest of them from Books on Board, but they do not have the first book in the series. Matter of fact, NO ONE has the first book in the series except Amazon. I don't have a Kindle, therefore I cannot purchase the book. AGH!! If I was trying to get something for free, or circumvent the DRM on something, I wouldn't be so righteously indignant, but I can't even PAY FOR and purchase this book - simply because I chose a different device than a Kindle. Actually, I don't know if I should be angry at Amazon, or at the publisher (Kensington). I did write the author's publishing representative, as listed on the author's site, but have received no response. The rest of the series is available in other formats, just not the first book, so I know it's possible to do. If this boneheaded logic becomes common, I will have no choice but to start bribing Kindle owners to purchase material for me (that I pay them for) which I will then have to start dabbling in the grey area of scripts to be able to read.

for letting me hijack the thread to vent. Rant over.
What book is it?
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #142
MoboHobo
Banned
MoboHobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
How disappointing. I wonder why they decided to take away this ability. I notice all the Kindle 2 skins on decalgirl.com don't have the custom wallpapers like they do in Kindle 1.
Apparently they are sort of working on that. Or at least that the word on the "streets" .. aka various boards.
MoboHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #143
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
What book is it?

Actually I found out there are two. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder and Fudge Cupcake Murder.. both by Joanne Fluke. Chocolate Chip is the first book in the series, Fudge Cupcake is the fifth.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #144
FaerieFire
FaerieFire doesn't litterFaerieFire doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Are you getting a blank image every time you put your Kindle to sleep? Or do you see one blank image and re-do the hack?

I have one blank screen that I believe to be the thumbs.db file in the folder. I'm going to try deleting it to see if that gets rid of the blank page.
I was getting it every time I put the Kindle to sleep, never saw a single image after the hack. I even waited a few minutes sometimes, just in case the image size was too large (the .pngs were way bigger than the .jpgs I'd used when I tried the K1 version of the hack and got a glorified image directory instead of screensavers).

The hack appeared to apply correctly, since the version number came up with the correct "with screensaver hack" information. It's not a thumbs.db issue, because with system files showing, I would have seen a .db file on the Kindle, and there wasn't one. I'm wondering if this is a Vista issue -- anyone with Vista get it to work correctly?

I do need to double-check if I added an S to the directory name, but I don't think I did. (It's been a week, so I don't remember for sure...). I'll report back either way.
FaerieFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #145
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieFire View Post
I was getting it every time I put the Kindle to sleep, never saw a single image after the hack. I even waited a few minutes sometimes, just in case the image size was too large (the .pngs were way bigger than the .jpgs I'd used when I tried the K1 version of the hack and got a glorified image directory instead of screensavers).

The hack appeared to apply correctly, since the version number came up with the correct "with screensaver hack" information. It's not a thumbs.db issue, because with system files showing, I would have seen a .db file on the Kindle, and there wasn't one. I'm wondering if this is a Vista issue -- anyone with Vista get it to work correctly?

I do need to double-check if I added an S to the directory name, but I don't think I did. (It's been a week, so I don't remember for sure...). I'll report back either way.
I am using Vista but it's really just the delivery system to get the hack bin files onto my Kindle. Here is how I did it (re-did it after the update)

I saved each image as a 600 x 800 .png file.
I did not convert them to gray scale.
I numbered the images in the order I wanted them to appear (k2a, k2b, k2c...).
Placed all the .png images in the system "screen_saver" folder.
Copied the "Update_kindle2_user_screen_savers.bin" to the root of my K2
Ejected the Kindle.
Surfed over the the K2's setting menu and selected "Update Your Kindle"
I let the Kindle do it's thing and Voila! It worked.

BTW, getting rid of the thumbs.db file got rid of the blank screen for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2 folders.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	25958   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2 screen saver files.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	25959   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2 hack bin in root.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	25960  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #146
FaerieFire

An additional S on the screen_saver folder was not the problem. I didn't delete the folder after the last try, so it was still sitting there, with the correct name. I just tried applying the hack again (over 2.0.1, since I haven't updated yet), and ran into the same thing -- just blank when it's in sleep mode.
Is there a length limit on the image file names or on the size of the files?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #147
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieFire View Post
An additional S on the screen_saver folder was not the problem. I didn't delete the folder after the last try, so it was still sitting there, with the correct name. I just tried applying the hack again (over 2.0.1, since I haven't updated yet), and ran into the same thing -- just blank when it's in sleep mode.
Is there a length limit on the image file names or on the size of the files?
I have some images that have file size larger than some of my books so I don't think that's the issue. I kept my image names simple so I don't know if name length is a problem.

Do you feel comfortable posting some screen grabs of what you're seeing in Windows Explorer (similar to the 2nd and 3rd images in my previous post)?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #148
FaerieFire

I'm feeling very silly now. There was no extra S on screen_saver. But I did manage to leave out the first R...
Problem solved!
Thanks everyone for the attempts at helping someone who obviously needs more sleep these days. (Too much time spent reading late into the night!)
Old 03-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #149
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Did you make sure the directory you created is all lower case? It makes a difference in linux. Actually check it via the command line, don't rely on windows explorer, as it sometimes just displays the case however it feels like doing it (in fact, setting up your screensavers this way avoids all the problems others have with these "hidden" files being copied in, as DOS doesn't do that to you, whatever you want to call DOS on your particular OS).

I'd avoid names with spaces in them, also.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #150
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Yet another version.

I'd been kinda meaning to do this for a while now, but just hadn't had the time to sit down and test it and make sure everything works OK, but I finally did and here it is.

All this really is was an attempt to help alleviate blank screen problems.

You no longer have to create the system/screen_saver directory yourself: after you have "updated" the K2 with the hack, when the K2 boots, it checks to see if the screen_saver directory is there and if not, it creates it and copies the default screen saver images to it. This way you can then plug your K2 in, browse to the directory and remove the default images (or keep some or all, it's up to you) and add your own and reset the kindle.

Also on boot, if the screen_saver directory is there, then it will check it for any troublesome files like Windows' thumbs.db and Mac OS's dot-underscore files and remove them automatically. So no more messing around with the command line for the Mac folks trying to get rid of blank screens.

Finally, an FYI: if you already have v0.3 (or v0.2 or v0.1) installed, you don't have to remove it to install v0.4. Just go ahead and use the new bin and update directly. (This has always been the case, but I don't know if it was mentioned or not.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle2_screen_saver_hack-0.4.zip (5.6 KB, 15574 views)
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote