Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
6" screens with 2560x1600 px coming to Android

Quote:
At the high end of the Android smartphone market, this year has been about devices with five inch, full HD (1920 x 1080) displays. But display manufacturers aren't stopping there. According to industry insiders the key Korean and Japanese display makers are working on six inch WQXGA (2560 x 1600) mobile LCD panels.
I personally think that 2560x1600 on 6" is overkill, but we know that "bigger is better" sells.

Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Sounds like they're getting closer to reasonable print resolutions which I feel is a good thing.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have doubts about the worth vs. battery and processor taxes, but the one upside I'm sure of is there is real room for pixel density improvement on the low end and mid range. The yet to be released s4 mini is still qHD (though thankfully, not pentile) at 259ppi. Respectable, but as FHD is displaced, the mid range gets more 720p and up.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I have doubts about the worth vs. battery and processor taxes, but the one upside I'm sure of is there is real room for pixel density improvement on the low end and mid range. The yet to be released s4 mini is still qHD (though thankfully, not pentile) at 259ppi. Respectable, but as FHD is displaced, the mid range gets more 720p and up.
Agreed. Samsung dropped the ball with the qHD, they seem to be a bit too conservative of late. HTC is coming out with a One mini sporting a 720p screen, 720p should have tickled down to the mid-tier by now.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I personally think that 2560x1600 on 6" is overkill, but we know that "bigger is better" sells.

Source
Yep, that is why D cups and larger do so well in Hollywood.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Agreed. Samsung dropped the ball with the qHD, they seem to be a bit too conservative of late. HTC is coming out with a One mini sporting a 720p screen, 720p should have tickled down to the mid-tier by now.
AMOLED has always trailed behind on density, often by matching the specs but using pentile so the specs are a lie. Though I'm not blown away, I don't really think Samsung dropped the ball (especially if they nail the price) as density is within spitting distance of the Note 2, which itself is reported to slightly sharper than the pentile S3.

As it is, I'd rather have s stripe qHD AMOLED than 720p LCD, but I do wish Samsung had gone a little wild and added not just 720p pentile, but the 720p s stripe adapted from the Note 2 display.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Yep, that is why D cups and larger do so well in Hollywood.
Sure those are fun but once the suspension goes the novelty wears off...even though I was born inxhe city of Los Angeles I tue never liked "low-riders" so over time I find I prefer the sporty models, better handing over the lifetime of the vehicle.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote